grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Okay, so I made some predictions based on the "system" I'm trying to make with that theatre in Ottawa. This is just a trial in a sense to try and tweak this, and because I don't have a whole lot of data to compare to I might be way off. For example, with wimpy kid I haven't looked at a movie targeting that demographic so I might be off in my percentages. Same with alien, a movie like that might to better (or worse I guess but probably better) for late night shows than I'm predicting so I might be off with that one too.

Anyways, feel free to quote me on this too :)

Alien Previews - $3.47M (just under Prometheus, but I wouldn't be surprised if I low balled it by about 300k even)

Everything Everything previews - $600k

Wimpy Kid previews - $275k

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've gone from 44m to 37m to 33m back to about 37m for Alien. Tough one to pin down.

Ditto. I've gone from one extreme to the other all during the course of the past week. Right now, I'm thinking about $38M. But who knows? It'd be disappointing if it wasn't #1 this weekend.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nomyth said:

Ditto. I've gone from one extreme to the other all during the course of the past week. Right now, I'm thinking about $38M. But who knows? It'd be disappointing if it wasn't #1 this weekend.

I have seen prediction for Alien all the way from 32M to 55M. Most seem to be between 36M-41M

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

@Hiccup23 which theater in Wisconsin did you use?

Sun Prairie Marcus Theater. Just outside of Madison. It is huge and brand new. It sells movies out on Sunday mornings thats how many people go to it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hiccup23 said:

Sun Prairie Marcus Theater. Just outside of Madison. It is huge and brand new. It sells movies out on Sunday mornings thats how many people go to it. 

Oh. I must check it out sometime. When I'm doing analysis I use North Shore Cinema in Mequon. I think I'll start my analysis' over the Summer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

I have seen prediction for Alien all the way from 32M to 55M. Most seem to be between 36M-41M

Yeah, that seems like the safe range. At one point, I lowered my prediction to about 32M but I really can't see it going that low.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Come on. With 5m previews its friday minus previews will hit low teens. With the kind of sat increase we are seeing these days that is enough for 40m. I would say 45m will happen.

Xmen Apocalypse made roughly the same from previews as Days of Future Past, but still had a >25% drop from its OW. Prometheus opened in mid June, but was exclusively midnights, so I could see Alien easily making more 1.5 times Prometheus's midnights but falling over 20% in gross over the weekend.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

OK.  I thought, since there were theories about how it related to domestic box office that it will go here.  But I'll post there in the future.

Just read through a lot of this thread (was confused why we had a new one.)

...Wow, the board really fell apart when I was on my break it seems. Shame, I love this place, and it's awesome. Kudos to @EmpireCity and the other user I wish to tag but I figure it's an unspoken rule not to. You both gave us some good times here, and I always appreciated you both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

If I wanted to believe what I see in this fandango app, then I would say that it is impressive that people are purchasing Pirates tickets 24/7 in the United States about every 10-30 seconds.

If you want an actual theater presales for Thursday night, my local has (as of this morning)...

1 3d screen (105 seats) - 2 shows - 1 sold, 0 sold

1 2d screen (180 seats) - 2 shows - 42 sold, 1 sold

On 5/19/2017 at 3:59 AM, Blankments said:

Just read through a lot of this thread (was confused why we had a new one.)

...Wow, the board really fell apart when I was on my break it seems. Shame, I love this place, and it's awesome. Kudos to @EmpireCity and the other user I wish to tag but I figure it's an unspoken rule not to. You both gave us some good times here, and I always appreciated you both.

I don't see how the forum is any worse now than it was back when, say, BvS released.

It's just a slow weekend.

• Like 1