grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

Long Range Forecast

Why is Professor Marston n/a? I have never seen that before. 

If JL is good, I think a 2.2x is gonna be too low.  Thanksgiving holiday weekend should be a huge 2nd hold...and I can't see how with that hold it doesn't hit 2.2x in 4 weeks...and if it gets the holiday bonus, it could be much higher by New Years...this isn't a summer release where it's hit huge and go away...this is the best legs of the year season...

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

They're about right for The Star give or take $10M.

I don't think it's going to do $3m or $23m OW, $10-15m seems about right.

I won't be surprised if JL ends up breaking the November record, it only has to do $2m more than Catching Fire and that's achievable.

Edited by Jonwo

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

Long Range Forecast

Why is Professor Marston n/a? I have never seen that before. 

Annapurna's a new distributor (this is only their second release), and BOP usually doesn't give predix to movies that have an untested distributor attached to them, until the release date gets closer of course.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think it's going to do $3m or $23m OW, $10-15m seems about right.

I won't be surprised if JL ends up breaking the November record, it only has to do $2m more than Catching Fire and that's achievable.

I meant DOM. OW seems spot on.

Jeepers Creepers 3 is number 3 on Pulse! Flatliners isn't on it at all.

looking at Pulse for about 5 minutes I saw loads of Blade Runner sales, quite a few Stronger sales, a few Jeepers Creepers 3 sales, no Flatliners sales. I saw a few America Made ones (but more Jeepers Creepers) Won't be surprised if Blade Runner hits the top 5 this week. 

Edited by Boxofficerules

Deep Wang updates:

- American Made is bad, I mean bad. Almost downright horrible. Barely across 10k in presales

- Flatliners is a third of American Made

- My little pony is behind where Ninjago was at the same point in time

- Thor added almost nothing since the last update, to be expected since that's how CBMs sell, tickets up front and then drips till release week, from next week we can start the comparison with Guardians 2 as the tickets for Guardians went on sale at about this time before release 

- BR2049 is big, not IT big but big nonetheless. It's ahead of TF5, Dunkirk, Covfefe and more than double Kingsman at the same point in time 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deep Wang updates:

- American Made is bad, I mean bad. Almost downright horrible. Barely across 10k in presales

- Flatliners is a third of American Made

- My little pony is behind where Ninjago was at the same point in time

- Thor added almost nothing since the last update, to be expected since that's how CBMs sell, tickets up front and then drips till release week, from next week we can start the comparison with Guardians 2 as the tickets for Guardians went on sale at about this time before release 

- BR2049 is big, not IT big but big nonetheless. It's ahead of TF5, Dunkirk, Covfefe and more than double Kingsman at the same point in time 

Eh, AM is a comedy, so it probably doesn't matter a whole lot at the moment. Same with Flatliners and horror, but that's gonna bomb to begin with lol

As I said last night in the movie's thread, it's starting to feel like Blade Runner will carry on the tradition of Gravity and The Martian did in early October with a $50M+ opening. Marketing has been terrific, and the reviews will likely be strong too. Don't think being a sequel to a movie from 35 years ago or being almost three hours long is gonna be a detriment at all.

I know we always talk about the decreasing importance of starpower but I think they got lucky in getting Gosling on board for this. He's probably the most in demand actor at the moment (more so than even Chris Pratt), plus he's never done a "blockbuster" scale type of movie like this before throughout his entire career.

Edited by filmlover

I really hope that being a not too commercial movie (that's being marketed as action sci-fi, essentially) doesn't alienate audiences too much. Lucky thing is that Arrival, a similarly uncommercial movie, was a legs monster last year, making 100M DOM off a 25M OW in little over 2000 theaters, so the Villeneuve has that in his favor.

But yeah, those pre-sales numbers are very promising. If it breaks the October OW record, it can potentially make north of 200M DOM.