grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

People giving us the info aren't comfortable with the info being disseminated far and wide. Completely understandable on their part.

yeah I am just wondering why they were posting it.  To boast about good or bad presales? And did the theater owners react?

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What are the repercussions of this? Is Asgard disappearing into the 7 Realms or are we having to just watch what we post?

Asgard has not commented on whether he would still actively post. But two other members pretty much confirmed they were done. 

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

yeah I am just wondering why they were posting it.  To boast about good or bad presales? And did the theater owners react?

Who even knows the reasons anymore? Its always a dick measuring contest online in the end.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What are the repercussions of this? Is Asgard disappearing into the 7 Realms or are we having to just watch what we post?

the problem isn't the regular posters here (at least not most of us), it's that some posters, or possibly even lurkers, are cross posting information from this forum to other fan forums, and from there it gets spread all over the web.

The only way to control it would be to screen members and make certain sections members-only. Or stop giving that information at all.

• Like 1

Keep in mind: This is all happening because of movies based on comic books where grown men toss other grown men around in spandex for about 40 pages, only to be adapted into films where grown men toss other grown men around in spandex for 2 hours.

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Asgard has not commented on whether he would still actively post. But two other members pretty much confirmed they were done. 

We all know the next picspam of shirtless dudes will make him come down from on high.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

the problem isn't the regular posters here (at least not most of us), it's that some posters, or possibly even lurkers, are cross posting information from this forum to other fan forums, and from there it gets spread all over the web.

The only way to control it would be to screen members and make certain sections members-only. Or stop giving that information at all.

We could require emails to be from an ISP and not Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/etc like Neogaf does. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not really calling for an inquistion on comic book fans. Also, I like to stir the ole pot myself sometimes, so warnings and stuff should obviously still be a thing. But I remember when BoxOfficeZ posted that he saw Star Wars for the first time, these boards got swarmed by a bunch  of Force.Net and Reddit clowns that I followed and found were leaking alllll that info. They all were named "JediFan01" and shit and had no avatars. I can deal with overwrought comic book obsessives like iJack/BKB/Futurist who have bad opinions but are respectful enough not to leak and contribute  to the board at large. It's the people with 400 posts all in only D.C. and Marvel threads that just spam and ask for spoilers and yell at everyone who doesn't know that the magic orb in the background was a critical plotpoint in Action Comics from 1967 or some stupid fanboy bullshit. The ones who think that movies being faithful are better than movies being good, and make 5000 posts saying "You don't understand the material and critics are pretentious!" There's been a mass influx since the IMDB boards shutdown.

Honestly I don't even care about the ones who say "This is the source material blah blah blah." It's the ones who question every little detail that's negative. They go after critics, our insider members, the trades...anyone who says or posts something that might be negative, they get defensive over. Like if you post in a Marvel or DC thread that you think such and such film is going to make such and such amount and it's not up to their standard or their expectation, they get fussy and angry. For example there was an influx of 25+ pages when the tracking numbers for WW came out because plenty of posters were calling the trades stupid and didn't know what they were doing. Why? Because their precious WW was tracking at $65M 4 weeks out. Or when EmpireCity posted how he felt about the film or when BoxofficeZ did. All they did was question their credibility as if they haven't posting on here for years. Like I'll admit, I troll from time to time....as does everyone else but there's a fine line between trolling and questioning other folks credibility to the point where it starts to get personal and these posters are pretty much calling them (our insiders, critics and the trades) out because they didn't give them the information that they personally wanted. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

We could require emails to be from an ISP and not Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/etc like Neogaf does. 

How would that help? A lurker could have an ISP just as easily as a longtime member could only have a gmail account. That's good for preventing double accounts, not for preventing fanboys from leaking stuff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

but if there was information on another website regarding box office numbers, I am sure it would be helpful to us if someone leaked that information over here for us to see and analyze

It's not helpful when the information is being tweeted out and being posted on forums that have zero to do with box office. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Regal Meridian 16. 

Oh, interesting. I know they got all the new seats in at the Meridian, and I expected one of their larger theaters to get a screen upgrade, but I hadn't realized it had happened already.

24 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

On their twitter account, Cinerama said they're looking into getting Pirates, which is why there are no Guardians 2 showtimes after May 25th. I was hoping they'd get Alien. Instead I'll be trying out my first foray into Dolby Cinema at the Alderwood Mall theater.

I could see them trying that. They've gotten new films for one week engagements before, but usually not for the opening  week. Disney may balk at that, since they like the dedicated screens.

I suppose it's also possible they could try to get Alien in for a week after the 25th, but that might depend on it actually looking like it'll do good business. IIRC back in 2013, that's what happened. They had STID for a couple weeks, but the business wasn't spectacular, so they got FF6 for one week before Man of Steel opened.

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

How would that help? A lurker could have an ISP just as easily as a longtime member could only have a gmail account. That's good for preventing double accounts, not for preventing fanboys from leaking stuff.

I wouldn't even know how to get an ISP email...  :huh:

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Honestly I don't even care about the ones who say "This is the source material blah blah blah." It's the ones who question every little detail that's negative. They go after critics, our insider members, the trades...anyone who says or posts something that might be negative, they get defensive over. Like if you post in a Marvel or DC thread that you think such and such film is going to make such and such amount and it's not up to their standard or their expectation, they get fussy and angry. For example there was an influx of 25+ pages when the tracking numbers for WW came out because plenty of posters were calling the trades stupid and didn't know what they were doing. Why? Because their precious WW was tracking at $65M 4 weeks out. Or when EmpireCity posted how he felt about the film or when BoxofficeZ did. All they did was question their credibility as if they haven't posting on here for years. Like I'll admit, I troll from time to time....as does everyone else but there's a fine line between trolling and questioning other folks credibility to the point where it starts to get personal and these posters are pretty much calling them (our insiders, critics and the trades) out because they didn't give them the information that they personally wanted. 

Exactly. Those are the the people who leak this stuff elsewhere. The ones who can't take anything negative being said about their precious franchise. If you say something bad they'll question your validity - all over other forums and Twitter.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

but if there was information on another website regarding box office numbers, I am sure it would be helpful to us if someone leaked that information over here for us to see and analyze

Yes, from small message board to other small message board is one thing (not necessarily worst than here), but if they go on twitter/facebook/anything big with it and moreso to theater chain owner it is a very different ball park.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Yes, from small message board to other small message board is one thing (not necessarily worst than here), but if they go on twitter/facebook/anything big with it and moreso to theater chain owner it is a very different ball park.

If it was going to another box office based forum I think that would be fine. Problem is it goes to fan sites and fan boards dedicated to a specific franchise. From there you just need a few superfans desperate to prove the information wrong.

• Like 1

Thank you EmpireCity, for your contributions to the forum. They were really valuable, but I understand your decision.

This is really disappointing. Someone guys in their parents' basements ruined a good thing, all because they deify their favorite grown men in costumes (not saying the movies are bad, but just step back and think about it). It's so gross.

• Like 10

We don't have control how things posted publicly get shared elsewhere. All we can do is be gracious with those who choose to give us insider info.

In terms of general antagonism and discussion and attitudes, we're making a new effort to have the forums be a fun place to hang out and talk (see the staff's "Sunshine" post if you haven't already).

• Like 3