grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Freddy Krueger is going to have his movie green lit as soon as possible 

1,2 Freddy's coming for you 

3,4 Better lock your doors......

Not until they resolve the rights issues.

Edit: wait, that's Friday the 13th nevermind lol

Edited by filmlover

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

SuperScreen are 22 metre screens with Dolby sound, amazing. 

IMAX is very popular here, we have lots of the superscreens too though. VIP showings do really well too, for certain films. 

We have 1 imax cinema in Southampton and its the only one on the whole south coast of England as far as I know.

That one will probably shut down too soon as the Vue cinemas are better.

17 minutes ago, Nova said:

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not until they resolve the rights issues.

Edit: wait, that's Friday the 13th nevermind lol

they really fucked themselves over by not doing that Friday the 13th handheld camera version a few years back

25 minutes ago, Nova said:

I hope so! 

18 minutes ago, AndyK said:

We have 1 imax cinema in Southampton and its the only one on the whole south coast of England as far as I know.

That one will probably shut down too soon as the Vue cinemas are better.

Oh god that sucks, my two local cinemas both have IMAX and we have one at the science centre too. 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I'd be shocked if we don't hear something by at least up to a month from now. I thought we'd get Friday The 13th first, but the lawsuit stuff is crippling that, so Elm Street is probably next in line.

Something reeeeeeal crazy that I could also see Universal doing, in the aftermath of Halloween, is a revival of The Birds or even Psycho. A well done rebirth of Psycho would have potential to be as big of a success as Halloween (though I do not endorse that; unless they get a Mike Flanagan or a Denis Villeneuve-type director to do it).

But hopefully we continue to see big original horror films as well (like your Get Outs, your Quiet Places and Splits of the world).

Edited by MCKillswitch123

It's so weird - 1 of my 12s has quad screened Halloween tonight (9 showings) and triple screened it for the weekend (16 showings)...and the other has single screened Halloween tonight (2 - count it - 2 showings???) and only double screened it for the weekend (10 showings).  Gotta think the right call for showings was somewhere in the middle for tonight...

EDIT: The 2 showing 12 has moved to 3 just now (adding a 2nd 10pm)...of course, this means they are probably not adding any more 7pm shows at this point...hmmm...I'm all over the place on where this will be, but I think over/under Venom by a hair would be where I'd place my bet...and I'd take the under, I think...

Edited by TwoMisfits

34 minutes ago, Taylor said:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/illumination-universals-the-grinch-to-steal-50m-opening-early-b-o-forecast-1202485438/

The Grinch 50m+

Halloween 70m, chance at 100m

Spiders Web 11-12m

Overlord 10m+

The Girl in the Spider's Web is looking to mirror Inferno's run, unsurprisingly.

Edited by filmlover

Terrible tracking all around for November 9. I think Overlord has the most upward mobility of the bunch thanks to its strong reviews, but we'll see what Paramount does with marketing.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Terrible tracking all around for November 9. I think Overlord has the most upward mobility of the bunch thanks to its strong reviews, but we'll see what Paramount does with marketing.

A $50M+ opening for a Christmas movie in early November is terrible?

Claire Foy was awesome in First Man, hope Spider's Web isn't a total miss for her. 

Grinch seems somewhat subdued in tracking IMO. Would have thought Universal would be ALL OVER with marketing, but it seems pretty light so far. Maybe they're waiting till after Halloween, maybe they're waiting until after the holiday itself. Either way, its a movie I would have thought had a shot at 100M+ a few months ago that's now tracking at half that. 

Not surprised at Overlord. Could see it potentially having a Cabin in the Woods type run if audiences like it. 

Only going by MT for comparisons of Halloween, The Nun and It:
Halloween rose to 44.0% now. The Nun had - same day and time of the day - 44.4% and It 81.0% one hour later. So Halloween is on par with The Nun and behind It BUT both movies faced way less competition, It had almost none and when The Nun was released Peppermint was #2 with 13.4M, #3 was CRA with 13.1M and #4 was The Meg with 6.1M. And a bit over 80% at MT was were It stopped.
Halloween could/should reach around 60% tomorrow which would mean ca. ¾ of It and that with Venom, ASIB etc. I'm still not fully convinced but that 80M OW club looks at least much more realistic than I once thought.
PS: Venom had 30.8% same time of the day back then and 42% with the first Friday update.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1