grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I do agree with the iconic foil thing, but at the same time....even H20 only did 31.5m adjusted OW, and was number three on its opening weekend! That's a big time jump up. Horror being more of a mainstream money making machine than ever is a good reason, though. Well-reviewed horrors (or even poorly reviewed horrors like the Nun) are right behind superhero movies at this point in the "make tons of guaranteed money and establish a franchise" rankings.

I think it's a bit of everything and good timing. H20 was released in August which is odd, you'd think they would've released it for Halloween like this one. I think that is one of the reasons why Scream 4 didn't do that good, if it was released in Oct, it might've done a bit better. 

It's been ages since a big slasher has hit the screen and hopefully it's the start of them again. 

56 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

7:00: 53/78

7:30: 27/78

8:00: 40/78

Total so far: 120/234

It sold 267 tickets across 4 shows with roughly the same capacity thanks to one of them being in the biggest auditorium. Halloween won't quite reach those heights, but two-thirds of that can be achievable over the next two shows (which is right where it needs to be for the October record). Stay tuned.

7:00: 53/78

7:30: 27/78

8:00: 40/78

8:30: 18/63

9:00: 29/78

Final Total: 167/375

This finished at 63% of It (77.7M). I wasn’t mathing properly; It has less capacity than Halloween. However, this is still an insane total. Fingers crossed it beats Venom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

Based on this horror + nostalgia craze, I could see Pet Sematary challenging 50m+ OW and Child's Play challenging 35m+ (I think the King brand is alot stronger than the Chucky brand) if they have half-decent reviews.

Just got back from seeing a 7:00 showing. Theater about a quarter full. Audience laughed in allot of places where it wasn't intended. Laurie Strode was too over-the-top. The doctor is RIDICULOUS, and the best actor in the film is the kid being baby-sat. HE was great! Absolutely a front loaded film. I have no idea what the critics were drinking, but this movie is not REMOTELY deserving of it's score on RT.  Audiences were very quiet walking out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scotiabank theatre in Vancouver has so far sold 341 tickets across 2 shows tonight (AVX screens). Given that's $17 a ticket, that's nearly $6000 for the night and the 7:00 hasn't even started yet much less the 10:00 which 140 of the seats are already sold for. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

Just got back from seeing a 7:00 showing. Theater about a quarter full. Audience laughed in allot of places where it wasn't intended. Laurie Strode was too over-the-top. The doctor is RIDICULOUS, and the best actor in the film is the kid being baby-sat. HE was great! Absolutely a front loaded film. I have no idea what the critics were drinking, but this movie is not REMOTELY deserving of it's score on RT.  Audiences were very quiet walking out. 

We need an "eeeekkk" emoji...you'd think we'd have a horror one set for that type of reaction:)...

6 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

Me if anybody laughs during this film when they aren't suppose to.

giphy.gif

Edited by Hiccup23
  • Like 1

Caught it at the world premiere at TIFF and just got out of a 7 pm showing at Disney Springs.

Audiences ate this up hard. Lots of clapping and cheering. Some big praise and lots of chatter after.

As for me? I loved it.

It was completely full and so is the 10 pm showing that I am in now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My theater is giving Halloween 14 showtimes for Friday and 16 showtimes for Saturday. The only other movies that get this many showtimes at this theater are comic book films or Star Wars. 

From 6PM on tomorrow night every single showtime is sold out so I wouldn't shocked to see it get more night shows. 

I couldn't check the earlier shows for tonight but the one for 10:15PM and the one for 10:45PM are sold out here. 

• Astonished 1

https://deadline.com/2018/10/halloween-record-opening-weekend-box-office-1202485871/

Tonight’s forecast doesn’t come from Universal, so there’s asterisk as they could come in higher or lower by the morning. Showtimes started at 7PM. We heard that the David Gordon Green-directed sequel at one point was tracking at $8M around 6PM, then popped up to $10M after 9PM. Still even if Halloween is in the high single digits at $8M-$9M tomorrow morning, that’s amazing for a horror movie considering that New Line’s The Nun hit a Conjuring universe franchise record back on Sept. 6 with $5.4M. Arguably, the next best horror movie to fare well in previews after It was Blumhouse’s own Paranormal Activity 3 which cleared $8M on Oct. 21, 2011; and that was just from midnight shows.

Without a doubt, the Malek Akkad-Bill Block-Jason Blum produced title is easily headed to its best opening in the 40-year old franchise, beating 2007’s Halloween ($26.3M) and it’s poised to be the biggest opening for Blumhouse, besting Paranormal Activity 3 ($52.5M). True, genre fans are a front-loaded kind of crowd who show up first and then disappear the rest of the weekend, but Halloweenis playing like a blockbuster given its multi-generational pull. The drawing power for many is Jamie Lee Curtis reprising her legendary role as Laurie Strode for the first time since 2002’s Halloween: Resurrection. If Halloween follows the gross pattern of It and The Nun, its Thursday will rep 25%-27% of its opening day which would be a $37M-$40M Friday (including previews). Saturday would dip 10%, which would put the second day around $33M-$36M. Sunday would fall roughly 40% from Saturday making it $19.8M-$21.6M, putting the entire weekend between $89.8M-$97.6M. Again, that’s if Halloween plays like It or The Nun. 

Edited by Amorphous
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, Eastwood47 said:

Critics are still drunk from sniffing their own farts at the last Jedi party :Venom:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VENOM said:

Critics are still drunk from sniffing their own farts at the last Jedi party :Venom:

Got up this morning to see what the audience is scoring it on RT and it's definitely a divisive film. You either drank the Kool-aid and love it, despite its laughable lapses in logic and story direction or you hate it. There doesn't seem to be too many who just thought it was pretty good or okay. 

1 hour ago, Eastwood47 said:

Got up this morning to see what the audience is scoring it on RT and it's definitely a divisive film. You either drank the Kool-aid and love it, despite its laughable lapses in logic and story direction or you hate it. There doesn't seem to be too many who just thought it was pretty good or okay. 

It’s only just come out but audiences like it less than us on tomatoes already. It will have to rely on the hype from the critics to get it passed our opening