grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

https://deadline.com/2018/11/ralph-breaks-the-internet-creed-ii-robin-hood-thanksgiving-box-office-1202505373/

For the 12th time in recorded Thanksgiving box office history (since 1982), Disney will own the holiday stretch again as their sequel Ralph Breaks the Internet looks to hit a five-day of $70M, a number far exceeding the previous five-day of 2012’s Wreck-It Ralph even though it launched on a three-day weekend during the first weekend of November clearly a FSS of $49M, Friday through Tuesday of $56.7M. Disney sees Ralph Breaks the Internet in the high $60Ms range.

For the fifth time in the Rocky/Creed series, a sequel will play the mid-November/Thanksgiving side of the calendar following the original 1976 Rocky, 1985’s Rocky IV, 1990’s Rocky V and 2015’s Creed. Previews starts tonight at 7PM and the pic is poised to make $55Mat 3,350 theaters over the next five-days. Apollo Creed’s son Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) faces off with the son of Rocky Balboa’s former part 4 Russian foe Ivan Drago, Viktor Drago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, el sid said:

Pulse 6:35-6:49 EST:

Ralph 2: 52/15 - yesterday it were 25 tickets at that time
Creed II: 51/15 - yesterday it were 20 tickets
Robin Hood: 8/15

Pulse always 8:53-9:04 EST:
Creed II: 173/12
Ralph 2: 171/12 - The Grinch sold 184 tickets on Thursday but in 15 minutes, doesn't look like an underperformance but this is of course only a very small extract
Robin Hood: 15/12

WIR avg of  14.25 (8:53-9:04am) is 27% higher than Coco's at approx the same time

Fandango average on Tues before Thanksgiving

Coco:   11.2 (8:50am), 16.75 (10:45am), 19.75 (12:30PM), 20.4 (2pm), 25.7 (5pm)

Not exactly sure what to make of this since this is a weird comp

From what I have seen, the Prime showings have sold really well, those weren't through Fandango though, those were Atom tickets. Of the 12 Prime showings near me, 8 are 75% or more filled

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2018/11/aquaman-first-day-ticket-sales-record-fandango-atom-tickets-1202505552/

In the first 24 hours of going on sale, the James Wan-directed Dec. 21 release, is Atom Tickets’ top advance ticket seller (in first day sales) ever beating the previous 24-hour ticket sales record set by Avengers: Infinity War.

Meanwhile, over at FandangoAquaman‘s first day presales eclipsed those for Venom ($80.2M opening weekend) and Mission: Impossible –Fallout ($61.2M). Fans buying tickets for Aquaman on Fandango with their VIP Accounts are getting five free digital DC Comic books (including Aquaman, No. 1) as gifts with ticket purchase.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Not exactly sure what to make of this since this is a weird comp

From what I have seen, the Prime showings have sold really well, those weren't through Fandango though, those were Atom tickets. Of the 12 Prime showings near me, 8 are 75% or more filled

Side note I had a dream my friend took me to the set of the TV show she's filming and we had to break in to Jason Mamoa's trailer to get some kind of GPS tracker anyways he was screaming at us "WHAT IS THE PASSWORD" and I was like "MY MAN!" but the trailer exploded when I said that.

On second thought, maybe I should just keep my dreams to myself. 

• Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

In the first 24 hours of going on sale, the James Wan-directed Dec. 21 release, is Atom Tickets’ top advance ticket seller (in first day sales) ever beating the previous 24-hour ticket sales record set by Avengers: Infinity Wa

I have the feeling that those news do not do a screen comparable comparison but use absolute numbers of sales even if they added thousand of screen between the movie release:

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2018/10/23/atom-adds-1000-screens-to-movie-ticketing-platform.html

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I have the feeling that those news do not do a screen comparable comparison but use absolute numbers of sales even if they added thousand of screen between the movie release: 

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2018/10/23/atom-adds-1000-screens-to-movie-ticketing-platform.html

Or more simply, few movies have had exclusive previews through Atom (via Amazon).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I would be cautious...I mean, wasn't there a report saying that Solo's presales were beating Black Panther's at one point? We all know the results for Solo.

That was actually a factual statement. Solo presales did beat Black Panther, our theater source even gave us the actual numbers at the time. The problem was that the comp was wrong. Solo beat Black Panther presales but was about a fourth or a fifth of Rogue One which should have been the comp all along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That was actually a factual statement. Solo presales did beat Black Panther, our theater source even gave us the actual numbers at the time. The problem was that the comp was wrong. Solo beat Black Panther presales but was about a fourth or a fifth of Rogue One which should have been the comp all along.

Not only does this show that Star Wars movies are just ridiculously presale-heavy, but also that Black Panther was still a walkup based movie

49 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Not only does this show that Star Wars movies are just ridiculously presale-heavy, but also that Black Panther was still a walkup based movie

That last part was always clear (comparisons below are with FB2):

On 11/15/2018 at 10:03 PM, Porthos said:

.3538x as many tickets sold as Infinity War mid day of premiere. 

.6326x as many tickets sold as Black Panther mid day of premiere. 

.6327x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2  mid day of premiere.

.8197x as many tickets sold as Solo mid day of premiere.

.8776x as many tickets sold as JW:FK mid day of premiere.

1.2297x as many tickets sold as AM&tW mid day of premiere.

1.2488x as many tickets sold as Venom mid day of premiere.

First Ralph shows:

Local: 68/78

Tallahassee:

2D: 96/104

Dolby: 87/236

Total: 183/340

Pretty massive at both theaters :jeb!: btw Creed got a 9 PM show in the second biggest auditorium added to my local theater

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1