grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

17 minutes ago, Nova said:

A movie that’s rated PG and has talking animal like creatures is no longer targeting families? 

:sparta:

That's not targeting young kids now. If it is, then it will fail in that regards 

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

because of the joke Endgame comparisons

Well those are absolutely ridiculous. It's like saying WW1984 100 million other End Game 5 billion. It's so divorced from reality it's really not even funny.

Alright, let me take a quick look at Pulse real quick and add some stuff to my spreadsheet....

2019-04-15 11:00:00	597	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2019-04-15 11:00:00	290	Shazam!
2019-04-15 11:00:00	234	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2019-04-15 11:00:00	168	Little (2019)
2019-04-15 11:00:00	137	Captain Marvel (2019)

Uhh.....wow.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 3

Since I kinda think this whole 'family film' thing might be because of my use of the term, I do want to say that I see a difference between a "kids film" and a "family film". 

A "kids film", IMO,  is more directly targeted at a younger age group, varying slightly depending on how broad of a range of ages are being targeted.  

A "family film", again IMO, is designed to have more of an all ages appeal, but centered around... I don't want to say "safe" entertainment.  Maybe "comfortable"?  Yeah, let's go with that.  Something a stereotypical parent would be comfortable with/wouldn't think twice about taking their kids to see AND they're interested in it as well. It doesn't literally mean that every age group within a family would be interested in it.  Just that it's more up their alley.

It does get a little tricky since a 4 quad film by definition has all ages appeal, but I think there is enough of a difference between a film targeted to appeal to families and one that families like along with everyone else, that it's useful enough.

Now is there a meaningful difference when it comes to kids films and family films when it comes to pre-sales?  Probably not (though I don't have the data to back me up on this).  But my observation on Pika Pika (calling it that because DP is Deadpool, obviously ;)) behaving like a pure family film is more on the observation of a lack of a rush to buy tickets, and thinking there's probably a pretty good reason for it.

Could be wrong, of course.  And, again of course, Endgame is kinda warping everything right now, making comps even harder.  But if I'm wrong about Pika Pika playing like a family film, I'll find out soon enough. :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Since I kinda think this whole 'family film' thing might be because of my use of the term, I do want to say that I see a difference between a "kids film" and a "family film". 

A "kids film", IMO,  is more directly targeted at a younger age group, varying slightly depending on how broad of a range of ages are being targeted.  

A "family film", again IMO, is designed to have more of an all ages appeal, but centered around... I don't want to say "safe" entertainment.  Maybe "comfortable"?  Yeah, let's go with that.  Something a stereotypical parent would be comfortable with/wouldn't think twice about taking their kids to see AND they're interested in it as well. It doesn't literally mean that every age group within a family would be interested in it.  Just that it's more up their alley.

It does get a little tricky since a 4 quad film by definition has all ages appeal, but I think there is enough of a difference between a film targeted to appeal to families and one that families like along with everyone else, that it's useful enough.

Now is there a meaningful difference when it comes to kids films and family films when it comes to pre-sales?  Probably not (though I don't have the data to back me up on this).  But my observation on Pika Pika (calling it that because DP is Deadpool, obviously ;)) behaving like a pure family film is more on the observation of a lack of a rush to buy tickets, and thinking there's probably a pretty good reason for it.

Could be wrong, of course.  And, again of course, Endgame is kinda warping everything right now, making comps even harder.  But if I'm wrong about Pika Pika playing like a family film, I'll find out soon enough. :)

you also have to consider that people may not be as quick to buy tickets on presale if they are planning on taking their family. If I do use fandango to buy tickets for a movie to take my kids to it is at most 3-4 days prior. And typically I don't. I have 3 daughters, that is an extra 10 bucks in convenience fees I have to pay to take myself, the kids and wife to a movie. If I am really worried that it could be sold out we will just go on sunday morning or wait until 2nd weekend. 

Also I agree with your assessment about family versus kids movies. I find it easy to distinguish. I have a litmus test and it is simple. Would I be going to the movies to watch this film even if I did not have kids?  For instance Trolls, I took my kids to see it, I would define it as a kids movie because there is no chance I go see it alone, with friends, or with wife. Where as say Jumanji, that is something I would define as a family film (maybe would not take little kids) because I would have gone to see it even if I was just with my Wife. There are in-between ones like the Lego movies, it has a lot of jokes that mostly adults would get, but I would say it is a kids movie to me, just one I enjoyed more. I enjoy Lego movies but not enough to take my wife to go see it, or alone... so a kids movie that adults can enjoy (unlike Trolls which was torture). 

I see Pika playing for me like Jumanji, where I would be fine watching it with other adults, but I would also feel fine taking my kids to see it and would prefer taking my kids because they would enjoy it (they like Pokémon, 8, 6, 4 year olds)

Edited by jjack339
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Looks like the  detective Pikachu squad from their thread wasn’t getting enough attention...now they’re stinking up other threads. 

So we can’t talk about the presales? 

• Thanks 1

I mean I've loved Pokemon since I was 6 and I'm 27 and all my friends are going to the movies with me. We're gonna steal all the kids new movie Pokemon cards. 😛

That's a joke but yeah I feel DP is gonna pick up probably by beginning of May. I'm certainly not in a rush to buy tickets cause I'm waiting till Endgame and after Endgame's probably depressing ending, people will probably look forward to DP to make them happy again lol.

Today is well ahead of yesterday, sitting at 10149 (I counted all of the lines!) with 10 updates remaining. With the same number of updates remaining yesterday, we where at 5540.

The target number to maintain the 1.8x IW equivalent is roughly 33000.

Edited by VenomXXR

4 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Today is well ahead of yesterday, sitting at 10149 (I counted all of the lines!) with 10 updates remaining. 

The target number to maintain the 1.8x IW equivalent is roughly 33000.

I don't think it will get there. My guess is around 25,000 today. It's tracking below last Monday atm. But not surprising given how many tickets have already sold.

• Like 2

I’ll do another tracking update Thursday for Endgame, PikaPika, and John Wick 3. I also (no promises) want to get Endgame up and running at Menominee Falls.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stfletch said:

I don't think it will get there. My guess is around 25,000 today. It's tracking below last Monday atm. But not surprising given how many tickets have already sold.

At some point the pace has to slow down a bit. It's already sold so many tickets, the fact that is it still selling well above IW at the same time is impressive.

Btw Endgame back on top of MT:

2019-04-15 19:00:30.494523 UTC
1	20.3%	Avengers: Endgame
2	18.8%	Shazam!
3	8.7%	Little
4	8.6%	Dumbo
5	7.6%	Captain Marvel
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

How’s La Llorona tracking?

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	36.164%	8956	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2	11.524%	2854	Shazam!
3	06.751%	1672	Little (2019)
4	05.952%	1474	Captain Marvel (2019)
5	04.773%	1182	Dumbo (2019)
6	04.749%	1176	Avengers Endgame  (2019)
7	04.099%	1015	Missing Link (2019)
8	03.158%	782	Hellboy (2019)
9	03.020%	748	Pet Sematary (2019)
10	02.653%	657	Us (2019)
11	02.637%	653	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
12	01.551%	384	After (2019)
13	01.094%	271	Breakthrough (2019)
14	01.090%	270	Wonder Park
15	01.078%	267	The Curse of La Llorona
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, stfletch said:

Maybe, but I notice that thepreceding hour jumps up a bunch after the next hour update. For instance, 13:00 was at 907 then adjusted to 1466 at the 14:00 update. 

25k would still be a good number to hit though. Stays with my target of EG at least matching IW the rest of the way through OD.

Edited by VenomXXR