grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

@Porthos

I’m pretty sure that the wheelchair space includes the seat next to it. That’s why you see the wheelchair space available but the seat next to it showing as sold. 

5 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

They're two different "seats", they can be sold together but the companion seats aren't supposed to be sold separately while the wheelchair spaces can be.

Both account for 5-6% of seats at my local (and around that for many theaters in NYC) which is why it's difficult to get a complete sellout

All I know is I often see a wheelchair companion seat listed as sold and not the wheelchair slot next to it. And folks elsewhere have mentioned being able to buy an assistant seat WITHOUT buying the slot next to it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

===

Anywho, my seat counting originated from my sellout counts where I didn't count those seats for the reason TalismanRing and others mentioned:  shows would be sold out but not listed as a sellout initially because of those seats.

When I transitioned into a seat count check (Black Panther and Infinity War), I was still doing mostly a pseudo-sellout count but focused on "percentage of seats sold" given in ranges, so I still wasn't counting those seats.  When I started to do a pure seat check, I decided to still not count them for consistency reasons as my prior comps didn't have them.

Anyway, my seat checks don't have wheelchair slot/assisstant info in them and adding them now would mess with all my prior comps.  I figure as long as I am consistent about it when it comes to comparisons, it shouldn't matter all that much when it comes to historical comps.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sue Denim said:

Here's another Avengers: Endgame opening night theater update from Michigan, this time for the Ann Arbor 20 Cinemark.

Thursday Showtimes: 34    

Ann Arbor 20 Cinemark - Thursday April 25 AEG opening  

2D 6:15 119 120   99.17%  
  6:30 154 158   97.47%  
  6:45 111 119   93.28%  
  7:15 94 111   84.68%  
  7:30 134 134   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  7:45 103 112   91.96%  
  8:00 221 240   92.08%  
  8:30 123 145   84.83%  
  9:00 119 149   79.87%  
  9:15 79 108   73.15%  
  9:30 115 131   87.79%  
  10:15 87 120   72.50%  
  10:30 124 158   78.48%  
  10:45 83 119   69.75%  
  11:15 67 111   60.36%  
  11:30 105 134   78.36%  
  11:45 55 107   51.40%  
  12:01 125 240   52.08%  
  12:15 20 112   17.86%  
  12:30 25 145   17.24%  
  1:00 19 149   12.75%  
  1:15 0 108   0.00%  
  1:30 5 131   3.82%  

2D IMAX 6:00 330 330   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  2:00 106 330   32.12%  

2D DBOX 6:30 28 28   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  10:30 26 28   92.86%  

3D DBOX 7:00 28 28   100.00% **SOLD OUT
  11:00 28 28   100.00% **SOLD OUT

3D 7:00 77 100   77.00%  
  8:15 81 111   72.97%  
  11:00 51 100   51.00%  
  12:45 6 111   5.41%  

3D IMAX 10:00 320 330   96.97%  

TOTAL: 3168 4685   67.62% **7 Days Out**

Wait why does that theatre get to start at 6pm?

8 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I was looking for number of theatres and screens you track.

5 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

@Charlie Jatinder I looked through 25 pages and didn’t find it. Hard to do on mobile. 

No worries, info's outdated anyway. :)

===

re: the initial request.

It'll take some time to cross-reference the showings that got added to the screens they're on.  I'll figure it out sometime in the next couple of hours and tag you about it when I get it. :)

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

All of them do domestically. Actually, fan event showings start at 5pm.

But like WHAT? I thought all previous (besides WB and their stupid early ones) started at 7pm? 

Have I seriously just completely missed the fact that everyone who's posted in here their theatres were starting at 6pm? 

If that is the case, I feel completely stupid. And what's worse is that I've been oblivious to that for more than two weeks...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

But like WHAT? I thought all previous (besides WB and their stupid early ones) started at 7pm? 

Have I seriously just completely missed the fact that everyone who's posted in here their theatres were starting at 6pm? 

Who wants to be the one to tell him.... :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos

Just now, feasby007 said:

If that is the case, I feel completely stupid. And what's worse is that I've been oblivious to that for more than two weeks...

They moved it up an hour b/c of the length.  

• Like 1

My theater is getting ridiculous: Now there are 15 showtimes for Endgame on Wednesday - one at 12:00 pm - like, Wednesday is a workday, its so early in the day - and despite that that showing has already sold 61 tickets lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Anyway, to answer THIS question, 7pm is a de-facto "standard" for previews, sure.  But it's not an iron-clad tradition.

You've already noted that WB likes to start early, but more than a few films have had 5pm previews.  Mostly centered around kid/family films.

Other films have had 6pm previews, for whatever reason.

So you're not wrong that the "standard" is 7pm.  But it's not a universal thing over here.  More an informal tradition that is getting violated more and more.

In this case, it's 6pm because of the 3 hour length of the film and Disney wants to cram in as many showings as possible, and that 'extra' hour helps a great deal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

My theater is getting ridiculous: Now there are 15 showtimes for Endgame on Wednesday - one at 12:00 pm - like, Wednesday is a workday, its so early in the day - and despite that that showing has already sold 61 tickets lol.

Only in Germany would that be considered unusual. :rofl:   We have matinees earlier than that for all movies - albeit no on the day of previews.

The big difference is in the US and other countries AEG will be having 5am and 6am starts and/or continuations from the night before.

Edited by TalismanRing

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

10am showing for Endgame for Friday is half full at my theater 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Anyway, to answer THIS question, 7pm is a de-facto "standard" for previews, sure.  But it's not an iron-clad tradition.

You've already noted that WB likes to start early, but more than a few films have had 5pm previews.  Mostly centered around kid/family films.

Other films have had 6pm previews, for whatever reason.

So you're not wrong that the "standard" is 7pm.  But it's not a universal thing over here.  More an informal tradition that is getting violated more and more.

In this case, it's 6pm because of the 3 hour length of the film and Disney wants to cram in as many showings as possible, and that 'extra' hour helps a great deal.

I guess that makes sense. Most people only post showtimes for the biggest movies in here, so I guess because it works differently here in UK, I never see time starts except for the biggest movies. 

The 3-hour thing makes sense, seems definitely worth breaking the "standard". The question is when does the "standard" start to become a minority. Especially with WB shifting earlier, perhaps we'll eventually see Thursday openers, with "previews" actually counted as a full day (which sometimes it practically is) separately to Friday.

Anyway thanks (and to others that informed) for sharing the info. Still baffles me how oblivious I was for two whole weeks...

7 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Only in Germany would that be considered unusual. :rofl:   We have matinees earlier than that for all movies - albeit no on the day of previews.

The big difference is in the US and other countries AEG will be having 5am and 6am starts and/or continuations from the night before.

Yep, big difference. For instance, I’m going to an 11am show on Friday (took off work) and it’s currently sold 106/159 seats.