grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 6/13/2018 at 10:01 AM, Deep Wang said:

Well, no idea about comps, but I2 was at 4m yesterday.  Seems alright for an animated movie?

On 6/13/2018 at 11:21 AM, Deep Wang said:

Coco 5pm day of previews 1m.

Emoji 5pm day of previews 400k.

Those are the only things I still have on my phone, lol. 

On 6/13/2018 at 6:05 PM, aabattery said:

Did a little digging and Dory had 500k a week before release.

*Reference for other family films that I could find in the tracking thread. BUT on the same page I got these results from, Deep Wang mentioned that there was a clear distinction between live action (which Detective Pikachu would fall under) and animation. Does anyone know of any live action films in the realms of Detective Pikachu? :bagoverhead: Also Dory was several years ago and presales have changed so its kinda useless? 

Spiderman into the spidervese was at 99k (but again that's animation) 

As for John Wick, looking at other comps, its killing it imo DP2 was at 1M and this is doing roughly 30% of that and I don't expect John Wick to be as front loaded as DP2 was. Would anyone know of any other comps for John Wick 3? Im currently looking through Deep Wang's old posts looking for numbers :P

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Tony was re-evaluating all his life choices. :lol:

-sing songs- It’s what he gets/deserves for being an asshole! 😘

Anyway. Solid number. And still has 5 days to go.  If you say it beats/matches TFA’s Friday with a $121M, and apply AMATW’s frontloaded weekend, you end up with:

Friday: $121M
Saturday: $84.46 (AMATW's -30.2 drop)

Sunday: $66.47 (AMTAW's -21.3 drop)

Total: $271.93

So. Fun. Will makes for a long weekend and a delightful Weekend Thread. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

EG - 34.2m

PD - 346k

JW:C3 - 329k

On 4/12/2019 at 3:51 PM, Deep Wang said:

Well, not quite.  The final number I had was 32m for TLJ, but at some point after, they sent out some extra stats for comparison.  

TLJ and TFA were actually virtually neck and neck at $36m.  I just found the screenshot I had on.

Context.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

*Reference for other family films that I could find in the tracking thread. BUT on the same page I got these results from, Deep Wang mentioned that there was a clear distinction between live action (which Detective Pikachu would fall under) and animation. Does anyone know of any live action films in the realms of Detective Pikachu? :bagoverhead: Also Dory was several years ago and presales have changed so its kinda useless? 

I was just looking at some of the highest grossing movies that’s PG

Jungle book seems like the most likely comparison 

1 hour 45 mins compared to 1 hour 44 mins 

april 15th to May 10th

live action of a cartoon/game

Edited by Minnale101
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Pretty sure Beauty and the Beast is the best example (live-action family movies are getting rarer and rarer these days), at least from Wang's data. Don't know the exact numbers day-to-day, but I know that it ended with like 13M a day or so before release. I don't think Pikachu will do that, especially since Beast appealed more to a YA/female demographic, but it's better than nothing I guess.

4 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

So. Fun. Will makes for a long weekend and a delightful Weekend Thread. 

That would be one way to describe the WE thread if that happened, that's for sure. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

I was just looking at some of the highest grossing movies that’s PG

Jungle book seems like the most likely comparison 

I would use that comp but I feel like its similar to Finding Dory in that it came out in 2016 and presales have changed. Also I don't remember if Deep Wang provided us with updates on that and even if he did, those updates got lost in the old tracking thread 

• Like 2