grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

11 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

-sing songs- It’s what he gets/deserves for being an asshole! 😘

Anyway. Solid number. And still has 5 days to go.  If you say it beats/matches TFA’s Friday with a $121M, and apply AMATW’s frontloaded weekend, you end up with:

Friday: $121M
Saturday: $84.46 (AMATW's -30.2 drop)

Sunday: $66.47 (AMTAW's -21.3 drop)

Total: $271.93

So. Fun. Will makes for a long weekend and a delightful Weekend Thread. 

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That would be one way to describe the WE thread if that happened, that's for sure. :ph34r:

You weren't here at the time, captainwondyful, but I remember the 'fun' when it looked like TFA would cross 250m from initial Deadline reports only for it to 'fall' under it.

Made for a... lively thread. :ph34r:

I can feel it in my bones where Deadline predicts a 300m OW and everyone loses their minds only for subsequent adjustments have it come in at "only" 296m or something like that.

Can't wait for all of the "Puerto Rico" jokes to start up then. :lol:

Edited by Porthos

6 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Pretty sure Beauty and the Beast is the best example (live-action family movies are getting rarer and rarer these days), at least from Wang's data. Don't know the exact numbers day-to-day, but I know that it ended with like 13M a day or so before release. I don't think Pikachu will do that, especially since Beast appealed more to a YA/female demographic, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Hmm I had it around 8.2M a day before release. 10 days out it was at 3.4M and then 4.1M a week before release and then it got to 8.2M the day before. At least that's what I got from the table that Deep Wang posted several months ago. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Hmm I had it around 8.2M a day before release. 10 days out it was at 3.4M and then 4.1M a week before release and then it got to 8.2M the day before. At least that's what I got from the table that Deep Wang posted several months ago. 

I think Wang said something about Beast being above Civil War and BvS, which at least did 10M before release.

14 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Oh, I forgot to mention that my source said MTC is officially aboard the $300m train.

$300m still sound cray to me lol. For the same franchise to beat the existing OW record by $43m just 1 year later??? It's just a bit wild.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:05 PM, Deep Wang said:

0rS6vFY.png

@CoolEric258 this is the table I was talking about. I assumed for BATB 4.1M was 7 days out and then he gave it the normal double its presales bump to 8.2M for the final number 

Edited by Nova
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Oh, I forgot to mention that my source said MTC is officially aboard the $300m train.

Don't forget that your source's source is me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

$300m still sound cray to me lol. For the same franchise to beat the existing OW record by $43m just 1 year later??? It's just a bit wild.

Deathly Hallows 2 to Avengers was a 38m jump just 1 year later. 

Jurassic World to Force Awakens was a 40m jump just 6 months later. 

While theyre not the same franchise of course, considering that we’ve seen jumps like that recently, the insane presales, and what this movie represents, it is not the craziest thing in the world. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I imagine Captain Marvel not so long ago would have opened way smaller that it's monsters weekend I imagine, there is something going on right now.

It does not sound too wild to me

3 minutes ago, rerga said:

MTC??? 

"Major Theater Chain"

Deep Wang used to work for an unnamed Major Theater Chain and still has friends he can pester occasionally get nuggets of info out of.

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

$300m OW would be crazy and mind-blowing even if many jumped on the train. IW did more than people were expecting, and expectations for these are already beyond sky. But most are expecting this to do $700m-$800m dom and $2.2b to $2.45b WW. Lower range would be amazing too but can this be bigger? As charlie said earlier, we are predicting based on IW, but what if this is whole different beast.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

67% of Avengers movies have moved the OW record past a new multiple of 50, so it would actually be weirder for AEG to go below 300M :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Can't wait for all of the "Puerto Rico" jokes to start up then. :lol:

If it misses 300M, Game of Thrones is gonna be that new Prize Fight. 😂

(I might not have been here, but I have re-through your past sins 😉)

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I do not know anything much about IW unfortunately aside from that last number we have.

34.2m as of this afternoon.

And if I said I wanted to see this number at 50m, one week from right now. You’d say I’m crazy or.... 👀

Edited by VenomXXR

Weekend prediction

• The Curse of La Llorona (3,372 theaters) - $17.0 M
  • Shazam! (4,183 theaters) - $13.5 M
  • Breakthrough (2,824 theaters) - $13.0 M
  • Little (2,667 theaters) - $9.1 M
  • Dumbo (3,225 theaters) - $5.5 M
  • Captain Marvel (2,653 theaters) - $5.2 M
  • Hellboy (3,303 theaters) - $5.0 M
  • Pet Sematary (3,146 theaters) - $4.7 M
  • Penguins (1,815 theaters) - $4.5 M
  • Us (2,262 theaters) - $3.8 M

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4504&p=.htm

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Weekend prediction

• The Curse of La Llorona (3,372 theaters) - $17.0 M
  • Shazam! (4,183 theaters) - $13.5 M
  • Breakthrough (2,824 theaters) - $13.0 M
  • Little (2,667 theaters) - $9.1 M
  • Dumbo (3,225 theaters) - $5.5 M
  • Captain Marvel (2,653 theaters) - $5.2 M
  • Hellboy (3,303 theaters) - $5.0 M
  • Pet Sematary (3,146 theaters) - $4.7 M
  • Penguins (1,815 theaters) - $4.5 M
  • Us (2,262 theaters) - $3.8 M

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4504&p=.htm

ok what ? BOM predictions are  just ....

Edited by john2000
  • Disbelief 1