grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

DP - 1.5m

JW3 - 1.2m

SM:FFH - 550k

At this point. DP looks horrible to me. Are we considering JW3 opening higher than DP or JW3 will be more pre-sale loaded.

Good start for FFH. By end of 24 hours shall hit millie I guess. That will be around $3mn first day of pre-sales across NA.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Perfundle said:

Here are the numbers for my shows:

Start time Showings Seats sold
4:00-4:45PM 15 31.6
5:00-5:45PM 4 22.3
6:00-6:45PM 7 69.3
7:00-7:45PM 15 83.9
8:00-8:45PM 3 24.7
9:00-9:45PM 8 46.8
10:00-10:45PM 9 28.9
11:00-12:30AM 4 9.3

There are people watching a Pokémon movie at 11pm-12am lol

thats wild. 

The good old thing about the west coast is. If the wom from east coast shows are good then it can help west coast shows have better walks up on Thursday specially 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

At this point. DP looks horrible to me. Are we considering JW3 opening higher than DP or JW3 will be more pre-sale loaded.

Good start for FFH. By end of 24 hours shall hit millie I guess. That will be around $3mn first day of pre-sales across NA.

JW3 is likely to be a good bit more presale loaded, especially given the cult-ish following it's gotten over the years, plus it has limited demographic appeal compared to DP

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 5

Just now, Cappoedameron said:

Of course it does, cause it's actual competition for Endgame.

Let's not bring in Franchise War stuff into this thread.  Don't want me to break out @aabattery's famous gif after all. ;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

At this point. DP looks horrible to me.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’m trying to understand what’s so horrible about Detective Pikachu’s number. No snark either 

Yes, this.  @Charlie Jatinder, what is it you didn't like about it anyway?  Curious to see why you said that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, this.  @Charlie Jatinder, what is it you didn't like about it anyway?  Curious to see why you said that.

I’ve looked at several comps for it (including other CBM) and I’m not getting it. But maybe he has inside info that we don’t have. 

I feel DP, will not be as family loaded as we are thinking. When the trailer released, the reception was something that of a CBM, that must be leading to some frontloading in pre-sales atleast. I think CBM like AM&TW will be a better comp if we have data for it. If not, perhaps JW:FK but that was bit bigger in scale.

So just back reading on 5-6 pages back when I made the comment, that 1.5 seem very low considering JW3 is 1.2 range already but if you guys think its ok, cool.

Regarding horrible thing, 50-60 seems like horrible to me because at the starting of year, ignorning the insane joke numbers, but 100mn OW was considered as serious prediction for the film. Yeah, 50-60 may be good for the cost of film and all but you got what I am trying to say, that just like Glass earlier this year, just being economically safe isn't always make for a good case.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If I had to take a guess on why they said this I look to their post that caught me off guard in the thread.

I'm not trying to start a franchise war, but this is what I see based on their posts.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Minnale101 said:

Movie has 4 quadtriple number on LEGO’s 2 with same time

which did 34 million 

im sure the detective pikachu number will only distance itself even more until previews 

I wouldn’t use LEGO 2 as a strict comp but I don’t understand what’s so horrible about it :bagoverhead:

Just now, Nova said:

I wouldn’t use LEGO 2 as a strict comp but I don’t understand what’s so horrible about it :bagoverhead:

I don’t know either. Seems fine to me especially considering it was doing its pre sales during Endgame monstrous run

12 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

There are people watching a Pokémon movie at 11pm-12am lol

thats wild. 

The good old thing about the west coast is. If the wom from east coast shows are good then it can help west coast shows have better walks up on Thursday specially 

Yeah, here's the 12:10AM showing and 12:30AM showing. And based on how the ticket sales increased, that 12:10 showing consists of at least four separate groups.

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I feel DP, will not be as family loaded as we are thinking. When the trailer released, the reception was something that of a CBM, that must be leading to some frontloading in pre-sales atleast. I think CBM like AM&TW will be a better comp if we have data for it. If not, perhaps JW:FK but that was bit bigger in scale.

Same here but I am hoping the hardcore fans push it to 65 OW. Same was said about Shazam, so many thought it was going to explode and then it didn't. I do think it's more family friendly than Shazam but the critical reception is much worse. Top critics dislike it, overall it's ok on critical reception.

On 6/10/2018 at 11:25 AM, Biggestgeekever said:

Here comes Incredibles 

54il8og.png

This is when I2 showed up on MT.com. BTW.  It very quickly rose to the top within a day.  Of course, it didn't have EG or FFH to deal with.

I'm checking around this time to see if there was a Deep Wang update.

==

And, yes, I know Pika Pika won't come close to I2.  Basically thinking about the percentage comp.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Minnale101 said:

I don’t know either. Seems fine to me especially considering it was doing its pre sales during Endgame monstrous run

Take away End Game and the number still seems fine to me *shrug* 

Its final number should be around $3M. If you go back through the Pika thread, I’d mentioned that that’s the target Id want for it when tickets first went on sale.

• Like 1