grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

A quick look at my local Regal chain, I see that Pikachu is selling well for 2D previews (all theaters I checked have 3-4 preview showings, with 2 being standard 2D). It’s selling pretty good for 7-8PM showings on Friday and Saturday, but are dead for the rest, which set it up well for walk-ups business.

I think the big disadvantage of Pikachu at my theaters right now is number of showtimes. At all 5 Regal theaters I looked at, the maximum number of showtimes it got is 5 per day for Fri-Sun frame, counting all formats.

Endgame showtimes are not up yet for weekend but its Thursday numbers are 13+ showings so I don’t imagine it’ll go below 10 for the weekend. 

Will see how Pika’s number of showtimes change over the next few days. For it to increase I think it’ll need to start pre-selling tickets better for matinees and 10PM onwards showings. 

Edited by Sam
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The weekend thread is gonna be an unreadable disaster.

I couldn’t care less about being number 1 and topping endgame for weekend 

I just want a good opening for detective pikachu and have it a success to see more live action Pokémon movies 

if endgame does 76 million and DP 75 million I’ll be happy af lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tentatek said:

Bohemian Rhapsody got several oscars and grossed almost 1 billion dollars. Critics who? 💃

Captain Marvel?

Aquaman? 💃

Longshot flopped, Shazam flopped. 

CM's certified fresh.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

I couldn’t care less about being number 1 and topping endgame for weekend 

I just want a good opening for detective pikachu and have it a success to see more live action Pokémon movies 

if endgame does 76 million and DP 75 million I’ll be happy af lol 

$75M would more than ensure another lol. Hopefully WB doesn't make the same mistake of spinning it off to the point where everyone's sick of it by the time the sequel arrives like what ended up killing their poor LEGO Movie franchise.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I don't get why people would pre-order tickets so early? What's the benefit? Is demand for FFH that high that you have to reserve seats for opening night already?

I got my ticket for FFH's midnight already but if I can't go I'll give it up.

Just now, filmlover said:

$75M would more than ensure another lol. Hopefully doesn't make the same mistake of spinning it off to the point where everyone's sick of it by the time the sequel arrives like what ended up killing the poor LEGO Movie franchise.

Man poor LEGO. I always forget Ninjago happened and then try to think why Batman did it and then I remember Ninjago came out that same year and flopped.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

I got my ticket for FFH's midnight already but if I can't go I'll give it up.

Man poor LEGO. I always forget Ninjago happened and then try to think why Batman did it and then I remember Ninjago came out that same year and flopped.

The flopping of those movies and Solo (along with the failure of The Mummy and ensuing cancellation of the entire Dark Universe) seem to have pretty much killed the "let's apply the MCU formula to everything" approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The flopping of those movies and Solo (along with the failure of The Mummy and ensuing cancellation of the entire Dark Universe) seem to have pretty much killed the "let's apply the MCU formula to everything" approach.

I don't think Disney's giving up with SW considering what's coming after TRoS ((And they shouldn't, Rogue One did a billion dollars WW that shows if you do it right you have an audience)), but I definitely think we're going to see a more careful approach with cinematic universes. Rn the only ones still going are MCU, SW (At a reduced rate), DCEU, and MonsterVerse 💕

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mulder said:

WB really mismanaged the LEGO franchise. They better not do my boy Pokemon dirty like that

On another note for this weekend, is anyone else feeling alarmed that an Anne Hathaway/Rebel Wilson comedy is coming out in less than 3 days (Mother's Day weekend to boot) and it feels like nobody is talking about it at all? Sales are looking really slow for the weekend (even Mother's Day isn't even a fraction full so far) and this is exactly the kind of theater that would be very popular for a movie like this.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just now, stealthyfrog said:

WB really mismanaged the LEGO franchise. They better not do my boy Pokemon dirty like that

Legendary's running Pokemon thankfully. They did a much better job with MonsterVerse then WB did with their two cinematic universes.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

On another note for this weekend, is anyone else feeling alarmed that an Anne Hathaway/Rebel Wilson comedy is coming out this weekend (Mother's Day weekend too) and it feels like nobody is talking about it at all? Sales are looking really slow for the weekend (even Mother's Day isn't even a fraction full so far) and this is exactly the kind of theater that would be very popular for a movie like this.

I know Annapurna didn't make it (MGM did it, though both distribute movies under the same United Artists Releasing banner), but I'm blaming them for this.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

On another note for this weekend, is anyone else feeling alarmed that an Anne Hathaway/Rebel Wilson comedy is coming out this weekend (Mother's Day weekend too) and it feels like nobody is talking about it at all? Sales are looking really slow for the weekend (even Mother's Day isn't even a fraction full so far) and this is exactly the kind of theater that would be very popular for a movie like this.

That movie comes out this weekend :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I know Annapurna didn't make it (MGM did it, though both distribute movies under the same United Artists Releasing banner), but I'm blaming them for this.

It's definitely starting to feel like another Hot Pursuit.

Anyways I did some comps for The Hustle and not really sure what to think of its sales thus far. Probably can pull off a low teens OW if it can get a Mother's Day boost otherwise I'd imagine a high single digits debut is where its gonna fall. 

• Like 2

The marketplace for comedies is just really not favorable for comedies and seems to only be getting worse. I would not be surprised if none of them released this summer break $15M OW. The Kitchen could be the exception this year, but without even a trailer who the hell knows

• Like 1

Pika Pika - John Wick 3 - Aladdin

Thursdays

Southern Maine Cinemagic (Three Theater Chain)

Movie 5/1 5/3 5/6 Total Percentage + Sold + Seats
Pika Pika 11 22 34 994 3.42% 12 0
John Wick 3 2 4 11 758 1.45% 7 0
Aladdin 0 4 10 1336 0.75% 6 0

Lincoln Square 13

5/1 5/3 5/6 Total Percentage + Sold + Seats
Pika Pika 155 359 465 951 48.90% 106 0
John Wick 3 313 337 360 935 38.50% 23 0
Aladdin 277 325 363 1554 23.36% 38 0

Pika Pika's 7:10PM Dolby is down to 50 seats in the front couple rows

John Wick 3's 7:00PM Dolby is down to 50 seats in the front couple rows.

Full Chart

Spoiler

Lincoln Square 5/1 5/3 5/6 Total Percentage
  Pika Pika - Thursday, May 9, 2019
STD 4:00PM 18 25 31 218  
STD 6:45PM 80 89 106 218  
DOLBY 7:15PM N/A 171 246 297  
3D 9:45PM 57 74 82 218  

TOTAL 155 359 465 951 48.90%

John Wick 3 - Thursday, May 16, 2019
STD 7:00PM N/A 1 7 341  
DOLBY 7:00PM 228 239 242 297  
DOLBY 10:00PM 85 97 111 297  
TOTAL 313 337 360 935 38.50%

Aladdin - Thursday, May 23, 2019
IMAX 7:00PM 169 188 201 480  
IMAX 10:15PM 24 28 33 480  
DOLBY 6:00PM 66 81 95 297  
DOLBY 9:15PM 18 28 34 297  
TOTAL 277 325 363 1554 23.36%

I want to do FFH, but there's just no way good way to organize the data due to the Tuesday Start.  If anything I might just track the PLF. 🤔 That's a tomorrow thing, once the 24 hours of pre-sales hit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1