grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

23 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Btw WB needs to stop with the 4 PM showing stuff. The only Pikachu screening at my theater with under 10 people in it, is the 4 PM 3D show.

It's more than any other movie would do wednesday at 4PM, so ... why not? 

So between Tuesday-Sunday FFH has sold a total of 146 tickets at my theatre. They have 4 showtimes listed each day so far. 100 of those tickets are from Tuesday(86 from one of the showings). 

I’ll check back when it’s closer to release. I don’t expect much more to sell over the next little while, the initial rush is done it seems. 

• Like 2

Just now, Poseidon said:

It's more than any other movie would do wednesday at 4PM, so ... why not? 

Maybe for some but Shazam's 4 PM shows were also similarly dead.

4PM showtimes are a waste of time cause people are still getting home from work/school. 

I mean I guess it’s a way for WB to try and get 3 automatic showtimes for their bigger films but really not seeing the point. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cax16 said:

So between Tuesday-Sunday FFH has sold a total of 146 tickets at my theatre. They have 4 showtimes listed each day so far. 100 of those tickets are from Tuesday(86 from one of the showings). 

I’ll check back when it’s closer to release. I don’t expect much more to sell over the next little while, the initial rush is done it seems. 

How has it been selling in comparison to other MCU movies?

Pulse today 8:35-8:49 EST:

Pika: 67/15 – yesterday it were 27/15; I don't know which films could fit best so I also chose some family films e.g. How to Train Your Dragon 3 which had at that time 53/15, Dumbo had 60/15, also partly fitting could be Alita (but released on a Thursday/one day earlier) with 86/15. Too bad that this crash happened in the release week of Shazam! but at least I have its Thursday numbers.
The Hustle: 4/15
Poms: 4/15

John Wick 3: 11/15
Aladdin: 6/15

And Pulse 10:35-10:49 EST:

Pika: 109/15 – yesterday 98/15; Dumbo had at that time 74/15, The Lego Movie 2 53/15.
The Hustle: 25/15 – not bad, e.g. What Men Want had 26/15 at that time.
Tolkien: 10/15
Poms: 8/15

John Wick 3: 19/15
Aladdin: 11/15
And I saw the first sold ticket for Godzilla: King of Monsters.

For a Tuesday, all movies look pretty solid!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 4/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, TwoMisfits said:

So, my 1st local - Cinemark - is set...and if you weren't a super or LL, you weren't around anymore...and if you're a new opener, you're looking to be gone in 2 weeks if the theater allocation is any indication - here's the set...

NEW

Longshot (1 - 5 showings - smallest theater)

The Intruder (1 - 5 showings - smallest theater)

UglyDolls (1 - 6 showings - smallest theater)

RETURNING

Endgame (5 screens - 20 showings - 3 3d, 17 2d) - it eventually had 24 showings last weekend (+1 from initial set), so this is the loss of 1 screen (1/2 for no early opening and a 1/2 in lost shows ) - not too bad considering:)

LL (1 screen - 6 showings)

Shazam (1 - 5 showings)

Capt Marvel (1 - 5 showings)

1 foreign film (.5 - 3 showings)

There is a 1/2 screen left, for evening showings on the foreign screen, that I think they will allocate the night of...

GONE

Dumbo, Us, Penguins, 2nd foreign film

It's gonna be really tight on May 10th...I figure May 17 will open back up a little with all this week's openers getting dropped, but we'll see if UglyDolls can stay in longer than Missing Link...

So, 1st local - Cinemark - is set...and the tightness of the market is undeniable - and it's gonna harm Pika's chances this weekend.  Right now, Pika ONLY got 1.5 screens.  We'll see where my 2nd local puts it, but by my personal "benchmark" of 1 screen at my local = max $50M possible, this is gonna limit Pika to $75M or less for OW...now, if my other local loads up, I'll change my ceiling, but for now, it's not good for Pika (and worse, b/c the bonus 1/2 screen is all matinees)...but here's the bloodbath...I mean, set...

PS - Both of my locals do make last second cuts and adds, so that's gotta be Pika's hope this weekend:)...

NEW

Pika (1.5 screens - 9 showings - 1 3d, 8 2d - largest screen for full, smallest screen for 1/2 which also isn't good - this this is already sold out on the largest screen for the Sat mornings, and there's nowhere really to go)

The Hustle - (1 screen - 6 showings - above average type) - I'd have swapped Pika's 1/2 matinee screen with Hustle's matinee larger screen, but what do I know

Maharashi (1 screen - 4 showings - smallest size)

NO POMS - too tight to fit 2 Mother's Day movies, so The Hustle it is...

Returning

Long Shot (1 - 5 showings)

The Intruder (1 - 5 showings)

Endgame (3.5 - 14 showings) - it lost 1.5 screens, but it's tight

UglyDolls (.8 - 4 showings) - it could not hold the full screen and loses the 9pm show

Curse of LL (.2 - 1 showing) - there's the night show:)

Capt Marvel (.5 - 2 showings) - it shares the split screen with Endgame

Now, if you count, that's 10.5 screens - I'm assuming we'll see some more foreign film bookings (or even Poms, if they change their mind), but Pika could still pull out a few extra showings, too...for it's sake, I hope it does, so c'mon Pika, sell out those other tiny showings on Sat::)...

Gone

Shazam, past foreign film

EDIT: Foreign film it is - Student of the Year 2 added on a full screen, so no Poms, and only 1/2 screen available to Pika if it goes wild (without cutting from other movies)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, el sid said:

Pulse today 8:35-8:49 EST:

Pika: 67/15 – yesterday it were 27/15; I don't know which films could fit best so I also chose some family films e.g. How to Train Your Dragon 3 which had at that time 53/15, Dumbo had 60/15, also partly fitting could be Alita (but released on a Thursday/one day earlier) with 86/15. Too bad that this crash happened in the release week of Shazam! but at least I have its Thursday numbers.
The Hustle: 4/15
Poms: 4/15

John Wick 3: 11/15
Aladdin: 6/15

And Pulse 10:35-10:49 EST:

Pika: 109/15 – yesterday 98/15; Dumbo had at that time 74/15, The Lego Movie 2 53/15.
The Hustle: 25/15 – not bad, e.g. What Men Want had 26/15 at that time.
Tolkien: 10/15
Poms: 8/15

John Wick 3: 19/15
Aladdin: 11/15
And I saw the first sold ticket for Godzilla: King of Monsters.

For a Tuesday, all movies look pretty solid!

Before KoTM is even officially up for advanced tickets? Huh

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Before KoTM is even officially up for advanced tickets? Huh

It was only one ticket, booked from California ;).
But now, at akvalley it's #39...

• Astonished 2

Ok I don't want to get too excited...but KoTM is already selling a decent amount of tickets for what amounts to theaters putting sales up early and people stumbling onto them.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

43 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

How has it been selling in comparison to other MCU movies?

Hard to compare as it’s so far out and it’s opening on a Tuesday. I’m sure this is going to make a lot of money either way. 

1 minute ago, MrGamer said:

*Godzilla tickets go on sale*

@Mulder: My time has come...

jim carrey what GIF

:hahaha:Yeah basically. I'm more shocked that it sold 40 tickets without any kind of official announcement. The closest 'announcement' I saw was on the Godzilla sub-reddit.