Jump to content
grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

 

 

OFC that was my point....DP is a short film so it can have a ton of showtimes in a single screen. 

 

unsure about the states, but here in Canada Endgame is keeping a shit ton of screens. 

I imagine Disney was pretty strict in it's agreements with theatre chains for Endgame for the first 4 weeks. There is probably a commitment to keep premium/large screens for a certain period of time. 

 

I know I posted this elsewhere earlier this week, but the largest AMC theatres in NYC (Empire 25 and Lincoln Square) have kept Endgame on it's large IMAX screen all day for the weekend shows, and on it's Dolby screens for the two evening shows all weekend (with Pika getting 3 Dolby daytime shows).

 

In fact, currently Lincoln Square has more specialty showings for it on Friday (2 Dolby, 4 IMAX, 2 3D ) than regular 2D shows (7 regular). 

I'm sure they were contracted to do this in the 4 week opening window. Disney is known for this, and similar occurred with TLJ's first 4 weeks. 

It has less to do with what theatres think each movie might do this weekend and more to do with the commitments they made to carry the films. 

It's also going to help ensure a higher average ticket price for Endgame as it's audience subsides. A quick look at those Dolby/IMAX shows point towards sell outs again this weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes Pikachu is just getting day shows at non iMax PLF except OD thursday where it has 7PM Dolby shows. Next week John Wick seems to have Dolby. Nothing about iMax. So Endgame could keep it until Aladdin takes over. Then does Godzilla get iMax?

 

Edit: John Wick 3 seems to get some iMax theaters at least and so next weekend Endgame will start to shed iMax screens.

 

https://www.imax.com/movies/john-wick-chapter-3-parabellum

 

Godzilla also will have iMax release.

Edited by keysersoze123
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mulder said:

Btw WB needs to stop with the 4 PM showing stuff. The only Pikachu screening at my theater with under 10 people in it, is the 4 PM 3D show.

 

5 hours ago, Poseidon said:

 

It's more than any other movie would do wednesday at 4PM, so ... why not? 

d854ff5df199735acd91733243ab9526.gif

 

(forgot to address this earlier)

((Yes, I AM in the middle of making my KotM spreadsheet and was reminded about this exchange, why do you ask?))

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

yes Pikachu is just getting day shows at non iMax PLF except OD thursday where it has 7PM Dolby shows. Next week John Wick seems to have Dolby. Nothing about iMax. So Endgame could keep it until Aladdin takes over. Then does Godzilla get iMax?

 

Edit: John Wick 3 seems to get some iMax theaters at least and so next weekend Endgame will start to shed iMax screens.

 

https://www.imax.com/movies/john-wick-chapter-3-parabellum

 

Godzilla also will have iMax release.

yeah, John Wick will be select IMAX theatres. 

I wonder how they are going to chose which ones keep Endgame and which will play JW3. Maybe they will analyze screen averages from this weekend and make the determination based on that? Who knows!

It's definitely getting the Dolby theatres.
Maybe it will get IMAX where Dolby isn't available?

 

Man - Aladdin, Godzilla and Dark Phoenix, MIB and Toy Story 4 are all getting IMAX? They are really cramming movies into that format for the summer!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

 

d854ff5df199735acd91733243ab9526.gif

 

(forgot to address this earlier)

((Yes, I AM in the middle of making my KotM spreadsheet and was reminded about this exchange, why do you ask?))

 

One of the cutest interviews of Chris Evans ever... swoon......

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

I got an update today on my phone from Fandango saying their on sale, so I think this is the first day they're actually officially letting people know about them.

Seems like these "early access" showings are all the rage now. Amazon, Fandango... I'm sure some more companies will soon get in on it too. 

It's a good way to generate hype in the week's leading up to the film. 

 

Even Rocketman's early access showing has been steadily selling for the last week or two. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The local Regal theater has 14 screens.  Weekend showtimes for Endgame just went up within the last two hours (Detective Pikachu showtimes have been available at least all week for presales, at least for some showtimes, not sure about all).

 

For Saturday May 11th:

 

Detective Pikachu: 15 total showings.  14 of those are normal format, 1 is premium (Real3D, at a 9:50pm showtime)

Endgame: 22 total showings.  15 of those are normal format, 7 are premium (Mix of IMax 2D, IMax 3D, and Real3D)

 

Out of curiousity, I looked to see what seats are avalable for the Real3D showing of DP.  The pattern of seats available is really strange, it can't be from normal customer purchases.  Basically the back two rows are shown as not available, and the leftmost 3 seats in every row are marked as not available, and then there are two seats side by side in a normal place that looks like where someone would normally buy seats.  Every other seat is shown as available for sale.  If anyone is interested in seeing for themselves, it's the Regal Thornton Place Theater 14, in Seattle, WA-- the 9:50 Real3D showing on Saturday May 11th.

Edited by andrewgr
clarity
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

The local Regal theater has 14 screens.  Weekend showtimes for Endgame just went up within the last two hours (Detective Pikachu showtimes have been available at least all week for presales, at least for some showtimes, not sure about all).

 

For Saturday May 11th:

 

Detective Pikachu: 15 total showings.  14 of those are normal format, 1 is premium (Real3D, at a 9:50pm showtime)

Endgame: 22 total showings.  15 of those are normal format, 7 are premium (Mix of IMax 2D, IMax 3D, and Real3D)

 

Out of curiousity, I looked to see what seats are avalable for the Real3D showing of DP.  The pattern of seats available is really strange, it can't be from normal customer purchases.  Basically the back two rows are shown as not available, and the leftmost 3 seats in every row are marked as not available, and then there are two seats side by side in a normal place that looks like where someone would normally buy seats.  Every other seat is shown as available for sale.  If anyone is interested in seeing for themselves, it's the Regal Thornton Place Theater 14, in Seattle, WA-- the 9:50 Real3D showing on Saturday May 11th.

Do you know the number of shows endgame had last Saturday 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Do you know the number of shows endgame had last Saturday 

I'm sorry, I don't.  I know the numbers would be more useful with that context, but it didn't occur to me to keep track.  I just happened to get interested because they didn't have any Endgame tickets up until the afternoon today, which seemed crazy to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

I'm sorry, I don't.  I know the numbers would be more useful with that context, but it didn't occur to me to keep track.  I just happened to get interested because they didn't have any Endgame tickets up until the afternoon today, which seemed crazy to me.

Yeah that would have been useful in knowing how many shows Endgame gave to next week 

 

if detective pikachu does end up number 1 it’s because the Thursday preview number included helped edged it out 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pika has exploded in Salt Lake since last Friday's report. Showtimes for Thursday and Friday have more than doubled; from 9 to 21, and the total amount of tickets sold has increased by 66%, from 145 to 240. The new showings were just added today, I believe, so virtually all the increase comes from the previous showings.

 

EG still has a larger screen count for Thursday and Friday, 26 to 21, but the gap has significantly narrowed in the past 24 hours.

 

 

  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah that would have been useful in knowing how many shows Endgame gave to next week 

 

if detective pikachu does end up number 1 it’s because the Thursday preview number included helped edged it out 

For Thursday, it's got 9 showings, several of them in really tiny auditoriums.  None of them premium format.  And none of them are even halfway to selling out; a couple of them that start around 7PM are maybe 40% full, most of the others are like 10%-15%.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Pika has exploded in Salt Lake since last Friday's report. Showtimes for Thursday and Friday have more than doubled; from 9 to 21, and the total amount of tickets sold has increased by 66%, from 145 to 240. The new showings were just added today, I believe, so virtually all the increase comes from the previous showings.

 

EG still has a larger screen count for Thursday and Friday, 26 to 21, but the gap has significantly narrowed in the past 24 hours.

 

 

So it's sold an average of 12 tickets per theater?  Do you have any idea how other films have done with presales so we have something to compare that to?  Less than 48 hours before showings start, that per theater average seems low to me, but I wouldn't presume to say that I know what is normal for your area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, andrewgr said:

For Thursday, it's got 9 showings, several of them in really tiny auditoriums.  None of them premium format.  And none of them are even halfway to selling out; a couple of them that start around 7PM are maybe 40% full, most of the others are like 10%-15%.

That’s actually decent for previews for family PG movie. 

 

I expect the walk up rate to be good 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.