grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 4/30/2019 at 9:54 PM, TwoMisfits said:

2nd local - Regal - is up, and last week's splits are done.  Rough week for holdovers here...here's the set...

NEW

Long Shot (1 - 5 showings) (below average screen)

The Intruder (1 - 5 showings) (average screen - the Atom deal must have helped this get the bigger screen:)

UglyDolls (1 - 6 showings) (below average screen)

At least here, the newbies weren't stuck on the smallest screen size, but it's still not good for them

RETURNING

Endgame (5 - 21 showings) - it's down 2 equivalent screens, although 1 of those screens was really early and really late showings it no longer has - but it did also lose 1 full screen

Breakthough (1 - 5 showings) - surprised it keeps a full one, BUT with the other theater never booking this movie, this might have been a good call for area demand

Shazam (1 - 5 showings) - it's also a winner this week, getting back a full screen

Captain Marvel (1 - 5 showings) - no surprise after last weekend

LL - (.75 - 3 showings) / Little (.25 - 1 showing) - NO IDEA why Little gets the 10PM and not 10AM, but this could be a matter of not caring:)...

So, supers win as the returns...and pretty much nothing else does...

GONE

Penguins, Dumbo, Pet Semetary, Us

2nd local - Regal - is set, and Pika does a little better here...so maybe there's some light to the upside...and Ugly Dolls could not protect its full screen here, either...coming for an "abnormal for a kid movie" 2nd weekend drop, methinks...

NEW

Det Pikachu (2.2 - 13 showings - 1 biggest screen, 1 average) - better than my Cinemark local - could move the weekend cap for my benchmark to $87.5M...but usually, those get 2 biggest screens

Poms (1 - 5 showings - below average screen)

The Hustle (1 - 5 showings - average screen)

RETURNING

Long Shot (1 - 5 showings)

The Intruder (1 - 5 showings)

Endgame (3.4 - 14 showings) - lost 1.6 screens

Ugly Dolls (.4 - TWO showings) - so it gets the 10am and 12 pm showings...then Det Pika gets the following one...and Endgame takes late night

Capt Marvel (1 - 5 showings) - keeps on ticking here

The Curse of LL/Breakthrough (.5 each - Breakthrough gets 2 early shows / LL gets 2 late ones)

GONE

Shazam, Little

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Pika Pika (Only)

Thursday Previews

Southern Maine Cinemagic (Three Theater Chain)

Movie 5/1 5/3 5/6 5/7 Total Percentage + Sales
Pika Pika 11 22 34 49 994 4.93% 15

Lincoln Square 13

5/1 5/3 5/6 5/7 Total Percentage +Seats
  Pika Pika - Thursday, May 9, 2019
STD 4:00PM 18 25 31 27 218 1.24% -4
STD 6:45PM 80 89 106 116 218 53.21% +10
DOLBY 7:15PM N/A 171 246 252 297 84.85% +6
3D 9:45PM 57 74 82 91 218 41.74% +9

TOTAL 155 359 465 486 951 51.10% +21

I double checked, and yes, 4PM lost four seats.  💁‍♀️

Family of 4 pre booked tickets but after seeing Timmy grades. The mom canceled it 

I’m just gonna assume this for my own good 🤣

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The meme is ready, make sure we save it for the occasion.

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.pn

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Edit: Actually thank you. Keep going. Cause if Pikachu underperforms everyone will focus on your posts and ignore mine :ph34r:

Edited by Nova
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

If Pikachu makes 200+ M DOM and 400+ m OS, that's 600M which is a promising start to the franchise.

I'm just ready for all the guessing and going back and forth to be over and done with, lol.

NOTE: When we were talking upthread about 200/400 we weren't talking about 200 DOM and 400 INT.  Of course a 600m WW gross would be a fantastic result, espeically with a 2:1 INT:DOM split.

The scenario being discussed was 400 WW total and what percentage of the DOM it might get then. 

*goes back to seat count*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mulder said:

First count of today, only Thursdays-

Aladdin-69, 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Detective Pikachu-185 (+13), 6 screenings (3 3D, 3 Regular) Final Week

John Wick-89 (+3), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular)

Pikachu isn't slowing down at all. :ohmygod:

Final count of today, only Thursdays-

Aladdin-69, 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Detective Pikachu-188 (+16), 6 screenings (3 3D, 3 Regular) Final Week

John Wick-94 (+8), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular)

Ngl maybe I'm just looking too deep into this but Aladdin selling absolutely no tickets today is a bit...concerning to me. Anyways Pikachu did nicely today, not as much as yesterday but it's definitely making progress also John Wick's still doing absolutely crazy pre-sales for the kind of movie it is. In total today Detective Pikachu sold 16 tickets, John Wick sold 8, and Aladdin sold 0.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

NOTE: When we were talking upthread about 200/400 we weren't talking about 200 DOM and 400 INT.  Of course a 600m WW gross would be a fantastic result, espeically with a 2:1 INT:DOM split.

The scenario being discussed was 400 WW total and what percentage of the DOM it might get then. 

*goes back to seat count*

I realize you were talking about 200/200 OS but that's way way too low IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

KoTM-154

Has about one more update for tonight but....holy fuck.

Like I just want to stress that this is with NO FAN RUSH at all. The only place I saw this being talked about to a degree was here and r/Godzilla which is a pretty small sub-reddit. I haven't seen it mentioned on twitter, haven't checked the (very small) Tumblr Godzilla fandom though. Now maybe this is just a fluke but selling over 150 tickets mostly from people seeing them for sale and buying them is in my opinion at least, a very good sign. We'll see if this holds for the official presales, hopefully it will.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

The meme is ready, make sure we save it for the occasion.

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.pn

Seriously this is becoming annoying, you don’t have to say the same things and post the same picture over and over again

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 12:11 AM, Mulder said:

Pikachu's overperformance made me forget a count I'm doing for fun, Far From Home's midnight showings-

FFH-48, 3 screenings (1 IMAX, 1 3D, 1 Regular), First day

Ok I just want to point out that pure midnights outdid Aladdin's initial day at my theater by a mile.

FFH's midnight showings at my theater-

FFH-50 (+2), 3 screenings (1 IMAX, 1 3D, 1 Regular), Second day

I'd talk about the obvious slow down but FFH started so early and it's...it's classic midnights. I'm shocked it hit 50 this early seeing how in two days it's only 19 tickets behind Aladdin.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

The upcoming weekend thread gonna be horrible, isn’t it?

I mean can it get any worse than Cameron fanboys arguing over Titanic, Avatar, Avatar 2 vs End Game :ph34r: 

*Guess we shall find out....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

I mean can it get any worse than Cameron fanboys arguing over Titanic, Avatar, Avatar 2 vs End Game :ph34r: 

*Guess we shall find out....

I love our forum for its craziness, but sometimes “you reap what you sow” is a real bitch. All those ridiculous hyperbole DP clubs and the widespread running joke of Pika killing EG or Pika>SW (which I found hilarious in parts from the people who were actually joking) did no favors to the movie and created these unnecessary resentments from fans of other franchises.

This weekend, no matter which movie comes out on top, there’s gonna be lots of nasty and petty gloatings from either side. 

• Like 5