grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, Sam said:

I love our forum for its craziness, but sometimes “you reap what you sow” is a real bitch. All those ridiculous hyperbole DP clubs and the widespread running joke of Pika killing EG or Pika>SW (which I found hilarious in parts from the people who were actually joking) did no favors to the movie and created these unnecessary resentments from fans of other franchises.

This weekend, no matter which movie comes out on top, there’s gonna be lots of nasty and petty gloatings from either side. 

Out of likes rn but you nailed it. Also it's clear now not everyone was joking.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Sam said:

I love our forum for its craziness, but sometimes “you reap what you sow” is a real bitch. All those ridiculous hyperbole DP clubs and the widespread running joke of Pika killing EG or Pika>SW (which I found hilarious in parts from the people who were actually joking) did no favors to the movie and created these unnecessary resentments from fans of other franchises.

This weekend, no matter which movie comes out on top, there’s gonna be lots of nasty and petty gloatings from either side. 

My two cents really quick: I was obviously wrong about Pikachu and let my own hype get in the way of my predictions especially early on. But I did make it a point to point out when I was trolling and when I wasn’t. Not sure trolling/joking around should be meant with hostility and I’m fully prepared to get trolled this weekend and I plan to take it in stride. 

But in the end not sure why there needs to be resentment or gloating from either side. Pikachu fans trolled End Game so if Marvel fans wanna troll Pikachu fans then so be it. I mean as long as neither side is ruining the excitement for the other side, I m not seeing the big deal. It’s just tracking box office and even if Pikachu ended up being a monster, it doesn’t take away from anything End Game’s run. But I guess that’s where I become disconnected from actual fanboys. 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s not that deep....at least for me it’s not. Obviously can’t speak for other folks 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Nova said:

My two cents really quick: I was obviously wrong about Pikachu and let my own hype get in the way of my predictions especially early on. But I did make it a point to point out when I was trolling and when I wasn’t. Not sure trolling/joking around should be meant with hostility and I’m fully prepared to get trolled this weekend and I plan to take it in stride. 

But in the end not sure why there needs to be resentment or gloating from either side. Pikachu fans trolled End Game so if Marvel fans wanna troll Pikachu fans then so be it. I mean as long as neither side is ruining the excitement for the other side, I m not seeing the big deal. It’s just tracking box office and even if Pikachu ended up being a monster, it doesn’t take away from anything End Game’s run. But I guess that’s where I become disconnected from actual fanboys. 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s not that deep

Oh it’s definitely not that deep. Or more like it shouldn’t be. 

But knowing our forum, you betcha it’s gonna be real deep this weekend lol.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The worst part of the Pika jokes is that you could never quite tell the lower end of joke figures from the higher end of people being serious+optimistic. To this day I feel like I don’t have a clue what reasonable people’s real expectations for the movie were.

• Like 4

Also I’m only some 15 months old here, so I’m going to continue living happily in my land of delusions where Pika does well, Endgame wins the weekend, and everyone is happy and civil with each other :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

The worst part of the Pika jokes is that you could never quite tell the lower end of joke figures from the higher end of people being serious+optimistic. To this day I feel like I don’t have a clue what reasonable people’s real expectations for the movie were.

When things settled down but before End Game came out, I personally had it around GOTG to GOTG2 give or take. I thought that was a reasonable prediction. 

Clearly i I was wrong :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Also I’m only some 15 months old here, so I’m going to continue living happily in my land of delusions where Pika does well, Endgame wins the weekend, and everyone is happy and civil with each other :ph34r:

Dread it. Run from it. Destiny arrives all the same. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Mulder said:

KoTM-154

Has about one more update for tonight but....holy fuck.

Final update for tonight

KoTM-176 if I go with the count I've been doing today

KoTM-195 if I go with the count I did rn of all the tickets sold on Pulse.

Tldr fucking insane numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

Pika thread has devolved into a colossal shitfest and the movie hasn’t even opened yet 

It's the Pikachu thread are you surprised?

21 minutes ago, Tentatek said:

MOD EDIT

Is this where you get rave reviews, win an Oscar, turn a good profit, and get a bunch of sequels and spinoffs?    

Boy, I bet DP is really hoping it won’t get Spiderversed...  :thinking:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Is this where you get rave reviews, win an Oscar, turn a good profit, and get a bunch of sequels and spinoffs?    

Boy, I bet DP is really hoping it won’t get Spiderversed...  :thinking:

Lol wait he meant that as a bad thing? WOW

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

@Sam did you spot a mistake I made that I missed :ph34r:

No, I was just laughing at your TL;DR conclusion. Sorry that I confused you. 

Glad to see the movie doing great right out of the gate. I was a bit bumped I didn’t get to see the trailer on the big screen at EG’s showings.

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

When things settled down but before End Game came out, I personally had it around GOTG to GOTG2 give or take. I thought that was a reasonable prediction. 

Clearly i I was wrong :ph34r:

I genuinely felt that it may do Deadpool numbers + China. Poor me.

• Like 2

Just now, Sam said:

No, I was just laughing at your TL;DR conclusion. Sorry that I confused you. 

Glad to see the movie doing great right out of the gate. I was a bit bumped I didn’t get to see the trailer on the big screen at EG’s showings.

Ah ok I was just making sure, literal first time tracking Pulse. I ended up seeing the IMAX 5 minutes twice on Endgame's Thursday night because I saw La Llorona before it to kill time and got it there and also before Endgame. I was in my glory.

• Like 1

I definitely thought it was easily cruising to a 100+ OW and over a billy WW. I mean, it looked like everything was lining up for it perfectly at the time.

Not going to lie, I am still surprised at how it appears its going to fall a little flat overall.