grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Ok not going to quote myself again but, KoTM presales definitely start tomorrow. My theater's up on Fandango but I can't actually buy tickets from it, I get booted out at the final step after picking my seat. I imagine this is a lot of theaters then on Fandango for KoTM.

• Thanks 1

I really hope Rocketman delivers later this month. It's definitely the type of movie that would do well at my theatre (Bohemian Rhapsody opened to nearly our equivalent of 80M and finished with over 340M here) and if buzz is strong I could see it pulling in large crowds of seniors. 

• Like 5

Just now, DAJK said:

I really hope Rocketman delivers later this month. It's definitely the type of movie that would do well at my theatre (Bohemian Rhapsody opened to nearly our equivalent of 80M and finished with over 340M here) and if buzz is strong I could see it pulling in large crowds of seniors. 

Judging by the details of what's in Rocketman I think it would really depend on the kind of senior. It's a lot more extreme then Bohemian Rhapsody is ((Which is imo a good thing)).

• Like 2

Just now, DAJK said:

Last weekend of May has the potential to be epic. Godzilla, Rocketman and Ma, plus holds from Aladdin, John Wick and Pikachu/Endgame. FUN

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Not even worth talking about the gap between DP and KoTM at this point in time, it's just going to get bigger. Though I feel like it has more to do with theaters putting up DP then anything else. I notice there's no tickets sold for DP in IMAX so idk if it's just people not wanting to go see it in IMAX or if IMAX theaters don't have it up. KoTM meanwhile has both IMAX 2D and 3D, so if I had to go with my gut instinct, it's more a result of what Porthos was saying with the FB2 comp.

I swear I thought you were talking about Detective Pikachu until halfway through that paragraph.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I swear I thought you were talking about Detective Pikachu until halfway through that paragraph.

Deadpool, Dark Phoenix, Detective Pikachu…..DPs :sadno:

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Ok not going to quote myself again but, KoTM presales definitely start tomorrow. My theater's up on Fandango but I can't actually buy tickets from it, I get booted out at the final step after picking my seat. I imagine this is a lot of theaters then on Fandango for KoTM.

Not going to read too much into this but my theater has 8 showtimes for KoTM which is the most previews a movie's been given since Endgame. Wonder if internal tracking is really good.

• Astonished 2

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

tumblr_pr7fkrylMz1qf5hjqo1_1280.png

I'm gonna say this once….but please don't plan on giving us an hourly update in this thread. (If you wanna post it in the Pika thread then by all means do it but for the tracking thread, this is excessive)  

Give an update at the end of the evening and we are good. 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

So heres my tinfoil bonnet idea about pika slowly creeping in percent. I think there are a lot of fence sitters and some are slowly taking an "eh why not?" view. WOM will be interesting after first weekend. I think the fence sitters react then. 2nd weekend either has a strong hold or big drop. IMO people will react strongly one way or other...very little middle ground. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm gonna say this once….but please don't plan on giving us an hourly update in this thread. (If you wanna post it in the Pika thread then by all means do it but for the tracking thread, this is excessive)  

Are you serious? This thread is spammed with useless comments for weeks now and you want actual tracking content to be reduced?

Every post focussing on actual tracking is, in my opinion, very welcome. 

The endgame made it obvious, that this thread actually needs to be split in a pure content thread for people who want to get actual information without scrolling through 20 pages of opinion to get it and a comment thread. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Are you serious? This thread is spammed with useless comments for weeks now and you want actual tracking content to be reuced?

The endgame made it obvious, that this thread actually needs to be split in a pure content thread for people who want to get actual information without scrolling through 20 pages of opinion to get it and a comment thread. 

Fair enough and good point 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Are you serious? This thread is spammed with useless comments for weeks now and you want actual tracking content to be reuced?

Well yeah of course there's going to be responses to the info provided. Most of us here aren't data analysts so even with comps it's hard to fully extrapolate what the data means. Not to mention people will disagree on what the data is actually saying.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

What type of shitty-ass bar graph is this?! Bars aren't proportional at all lmao

35 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

34 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Fun with acronyms 

33 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Ordinal 😛 

29 minutes ago, Nova said:

Deadpool, Dark Phoenix, Detective Pikachu…..DPs :sadno:

28 minutes ago, Nova said:

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Well yeah of course there's going to be responses to the info provided. Most of us here aren't data analysts so even with comps it's hard to fully extrapolate what the data means. Not to mention people will disagree on what the data is actually saying.

That's this page alone...
None of these postings have anything to do with what you said. 

• Like 1

Just now, Poseidon said:

That's this page alone...
None of these postings have anything to do with what you said. 

That first one is because the MT.com bar graph isn't proportional I don't see the big deal. Three of those are about me using DP for Dark Phoenix when we have a lot of movies with the initials D and P it's just discussing that, not a big deal. The other is Nova wanting Cap to not spam this thread with .1 percentage increases on MT.com the way nobody does hourly theater counts. I don't see what the big deal here is. Just scroll really fast if you don't want to read it. It's a forum not a data site.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Not going to read too much into this but my theater has 8 showtimes for KoTM which is the most previews a movie's been given since Endgame. Wonder if internal tracking is really good.

KotM's getting more previews per theater than both Pika Pika and Aladdin locally as well.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Last weekend of May has the potential to be epic. Godzilla, Rocketman and Ma, plus holds from Aladdin, John Wick and Pikachu/Endgame. FUN

Problem is my theatre only has 5 screens so I doubt we'll get Ma (horror doesn't do nearly as well in Canada as in the US so our bookers are a lot more choosey about the horrors we get... unless somehow Ma ends up on tracking numbers for something like 40-50M). 

"Geek" movies like Godzilla do alright, but not huge business. I'm fully expecting Rocketman to do better at my theatre than Godzilla.