grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Its interesting to see how studios are using things like fake leaks, deadpool vignettes, fake footage in trailers ( infinity war) to keep people interested in this social media age (a little tiny part of me still wonders if the sonic reveal was a test bed for reaction and negative response was "okay lets try version b")They have to keep creative because repeating ideas will fade and audiences will get skeptical. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mulder said:

KoTM-430

Dark Phoenix-43 (First time I've seen an IMAX ticket sold so my guess earlier was somewhat wrong)

KoTM-446

Dark Phoenix-45

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

@grim22 @DeeCee @aabattery

(might as well throw up the mod signal to a few who might be willing to do it and/or ask other mods to check to see if there is anything that can be found)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-jurassic-world-802815

http://deadline.com/2015/06/jurassic-park-inside-out-dope-box-office-weekend-preview-1201445600/

BO.com is predicting $105 million for Jurassic World this weekend and $65 million for Inside Out.

June 18 2015:

Jurassic World - 69%

Inside Out - 15%

Spy - 3%

Jaws 40th Anniversary -1%

San Andreas -1%

movietickets.com

June 19 2015

MovieTickets.com

Jurassic World - 61%

Inside Out - 24%

Spy - 3%

Jaws - 1%

Magic Mike XXL - 1%

Later that day:

Jurassic World - 52%

Inside Out - 35%

Spy - 1%

Migic Mike 2 -1%

[Note:I can only cut and paste from the location.  I can't quote a post.]

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 3

So June 18th would be the Thursday premiere of inside out 

69% Jurassic world 

15% inside out 

a day before the premiere of detective pikachu 

61% endgame 

14.8% detective pikachu 

that’s a good sign for detective pikachu 

Inside out is animated, made for mass market and one of the most family friendly universal animated films I've ever seen in my life. Amazing critical reception and WOM that can't be replicated. No comparison to DP. 

All that being said Inside out did 90. 80% of that seems like the goal to shoot for. 

Just now, cdsacken said:

Inside out is animated, made for mass market and one of the most family friendly universal animated films I've ever seen in my life. Amazing critical reception and WOM that can't be replicated. No comparison to DP. 

All that being said Inside out did 90. 80% of that seems like the goal to shoot for. 

Endgame will no doubt have lower weekend than Jurassic park 2nd weekend though 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

You're the best, DeeCee. 👍

29 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

BO.com is predicting $105 million for Jurassic World this weekend and $65 million for Inside Out.

Well that range is familiar, if not the number for IO.

June 18 2015:

Jurassic World - 69%

Inside Out - 15%

Spy - 3%

San Andreas -1%

Currently at:

17 Pt 5/8/19 (End of 2nd Wed)  

1	61.5%	Avengers: Endgame
2	14.7%	Detective Pikachu
3	3.6%	Maharshi
4	3.3%	Longshot
5	2.7%	The Intruder   

Fairly comparable.

Still:

19 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

This is 100% correct.  A film that hit nearly 100 on RT (98 for the record) just ain't in this league.  Not even close.

Still, the pattern for Pika PIka (being at 15% near a megahit) is pretty decent, all things considered.

A positive sign for its fortunes, but not a sign that it'll replicate IO.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Currently at:

3	3.6%	Maharshi
4	3.3%	Longshot
5	2.7%	The Intruder   

Fairly comparable.

Still:

This is 100% correct.  A film that hit nearly 100 on RT (98 for the record) just ain't in this league.  Not even close.

Still, the pattern for Pika PIka (being at 15% near a megahit) is pretty decent, all things considered.

Agreed and I don't mean to say that it will tank. If anything the data makes me feel great about my 65 OW prediction despite the official forecasts below it. It would be fun to see both End Game and Pikachu go into Sunday tied and see who wins the weekend!

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mulder said:

KoTM-470

Dark Phoenix-47

At least they're both growing at steady, consistent, rates. 👍

Edited by Porthos

33 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Currently at:

3	3.6%	Maharshi
4	3.3%	Longshot
5	2.7%	The Intruder   

Fairly comparable.

Still:

% numbers have to be taken in the context of daily BO. Tuesday BO this week was $18m overall vs $32m on that week. So that tells about the relative % value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

% numbers have to be taken in the context of daily BO. Tuesday BO this week was $18m overall vs $32m on that week. So that tells about the relative % value.

That's a very important point that people forget sometimes when comparing based simply on % points. The % points relate only to the total box office of that 24 hour period, which can vary wildly depending on time of year, other movies released in the market, etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Wouldnt you have to account for the steady increase in online ticket sales/presales since 2015 too though? That would lower the gap in absolute sales recorded by MT to an extent. 

Edited by dakus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dakus said:

Wouldnt you have to account for the steady increase in online ticket sales/presales since 2015 too though? That would lower the gap in absolute sales recorded by MT to an extent. 

Good point. But I doubt it doubled since then. But you never know. Otherway is to track where it ends tomorrow. Relative % between Endgame/Pikachu vs JW/IO would be good comparison.

• Like 3