grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, filmlover said:

I think $55M would at least be considered a win of sorts considering Avengers has been such an attention-sucking monster.

Not with that budget and the expectations before hand imo. We'll see soon enough.

• Like 3

I think $55M would at least be considered a win of sorts considering Avengers has been such an attention-sucking monster.

55 would be expectations, really.  IF one has been setting expectations from the trades.

Will make for a... lively WE thread.  And one I will probably read less than a dozen posts of.  If that many. :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Not with that budget and the expectations before hand imo. We'll see soon enough.

I dunno, it really does feel like the buzz peaked for it a while ago (on top of everything else feeling like an also-ran in the wake of Endgame). Plus even though Pokémon is still a merchandising that doesn't always guarantee massive box office success. It takes a lot for success to cross mediums, it's not something that just happens.

Edited by filmlover

I dunno, it really does feel like the buzz peaked for it a while ago (on top of everything feeling else like an also-ran in the wake of Endgame). Plus even though Pokémon is still a merchandising that doesn't always guarantee massive box office success. It takes a lot for success to cross mediums, it's not something that just happens.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I just don't think a under 60 million OW for a 150+ budgeted movie that was meant to launch a Cinematic Universe would be considered a success by anyone. Though this is showing me to go with my gut instinct if that happens because I remember distinctly once we heard it would be Detective Pikachu they were adapting and not any of the main games, that this was not going to be big box office-wise.

• Like 3

Just now, Mulder said:

I just don't think a under 60 million OW for a 150+ budgeted movie that was meant to launch a Cinematic Universe would be considered a success by anyone.

I think that's pretty fair.  In this case the 'expectations' from the trades over the last couple of weeks wouldn't equal box office success.  

Pikachu is performing pretty dang good in my area. It's 7 pm showing which I am attending is almost sold out and it holds over 200 people.

It's performing way better then Shazam! did, at least in the theaters around here.

I don't understand why we're going back down and Pikachu is almost at 24% on MT.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I just don't think a under 60 million OW for a 150+ budgeted movie that was meant to launch a Cinematic Universe would be considered a success by anyone. Though this is showing me to go with my gut instinct if that happens because I remember distinctly once we heard it would be Detective Pikachu they were adapting and not any of the main games, that this was not going to be big box office-wise.

Sounds like the same problem Dumbo had (the budget was too high).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Sounds like the same problem Dumbo had (the budget was too high).

I'd definitely agree. Shazam was only a minor (and I do stress minor) success for WB because them and NewLine kept the budget at only 100 million/below 100 million (Depending on who you ask it's either 80, 90, or 100). A Detective Pikachu movie should not have cost 150 million which is 50-70 million more then a full fledged Superhero movie.

Just now, Mulder said:

I'd definitely agree. Shazam was only a minor (and I do stress minor) success for WB because them and NewLine kept the budget at only 100 million/below 100 million (Depending on who you ask it's either 80, 90, or 100). A Detective Pikachu movie should not have cost 150 million which is 50-70 million more then a full fledged Superhero movie.

Didn't Legendary pretty much cover the budget considering it was once set up at Universal until they went back to WB?

• Like 1

Yeah, not going to lie since Endgame opened big, I have been thinking Pikachu would do around what Lego Batman and Shazam did. Even as counterprogramming, I didn’t expect Endgame to take out all of the air.

Just now, Mulder said:

TBF WB is only distributing, Legendary paid for the budget. Godzilla and Kong cost $160m so it's not far off those.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's not opening at 55m. Nothing indicates this, and if we're basing performance off theaters then mine are doing freaking amazing.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Didn't Legendary pretty much cover the budget considering it was once set up at Universal until they went back to WB?

Yeah they did, but would Legendary be willing to do another one if it doesn't recover? I'm not so sure. We'll see what happens this weekend though.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yep. Ended up under Ant Man and about in line with first avenger and Thor 1 profit wise.

60M would be good if the movie had stellar reviews and audience reception. The potential for the sequel would have been there. Nothing kills a sequel/potential universe than a bad movie. There are talks of Edge of Tomorrow sequel ( even tho the first movie flopped ) because it's beloved.  On the other hand, Alita did the same but no sequel

Edited by Alli

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

TBF WB is only distributing, Legendary paid for the budget. Godzilla and Kong cost $160m so it's not far off those.

Yeah but G-2014 did 90+ and Kong did 60+. 

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

It's not opening at 55m. Nothing indicates this, and if we're basing performance off theaters then mine are doing freaking amazing.

I mean, if we look at the comps for Spider Verse and Incredibles as well as using the majority of theaters we have so far seem tepid, granted it’s 4:00 PM but still.