grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I mean, if we look at the comps for Spider Verse and Incredibles as well as using the majority of theaters we have so far seem tepid, granted it’s 4:00 PM but still.

Don't bother.

Just now, Alli said:

Nothing kills a sequel/potential universe than a bad movie.

Literally the highest rated video adaptation of all time on RT and keeps on going back up in the 70's but sure bad movie. If it was a bad movie it'd be where Hustle is cause video game + pokemon movie is an F waiting for critics to tear to shreds.

Thought I would check to see how the sales and pre-sales are doing at my local theater for tonight for DP and A:EG.

DP   7 showtimes:    129 

A:EG  7 showtimes:  127

This should make for an interesting weekend showdown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its fascinating. In japan it opened in 3rd on their chart. Yet i read possible reason for that is (paraphrasing) japan doesnt really get into north american treatment of anime/manga properties. So does that suggests an asian property with west interpretation will do better in west? Interesting perspective. 

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

Literally the highest rated video adaptation of all time on RT and keeps on going back up in the 70's but sure bad movie. If it was a bad movie it'd be where Hustle is cause video game + pokemon movie is an F waiting for critics to tear to shreds.

ok sorry, not a bad movie, but a mediocre one. let's see how the audience reacts.

i will also say that the potential for increase for the sequel is not there. this movie has a fanbase, the general population couldn't care less. sure the fanbase is big, but it limits the potential for increase for the sequel

1 minute ago, Alli said:

ok sorry, not a bad movie, but a mediocre one. let's see how the audience reacts.

i will also say that the potential for increase for the sequel is not there. this movie has a fanbase, the general population couldn't care less. sure the fanbase is big, but it limits the potential for increase for the sequel

The Godzilla and Kong films have pretty much done all around the same give or take depending on quality. You don’t need to see an increase in a sequel in order to launch a franchise. 

The problem is the budget. If they bring down the budget, there’s no reason why they can’t have a cinematic universe. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

The casual audience compares movies to other movies, it's irrelevant if it's the highest rated videogame movie or not, most of the target audience doesn't even look at that.

Right now both the RT and the Metacritic ratings for this movie are average to mediocre. The WoM has been mixed as well from the people who I've spoken to that have watched the movie, there's a lot of people who love the movie, but an equal amount hate it and thought it was a waste of time.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Meanwhile, both The Hustle and Poms are in the Red on Metacritic. From Hollywood to moms everywhere: Happy Fucking Mother's Day!

Only helps Endgame. Moms will be thirsty for a sexy Evans Mother's Day gift

Mild Endgame spoilers btw

Spoiler

Hemsworth is also great for the Moms who love men with more meat on their bones

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Only helps Endgame. Moms will be thirsty for a sexy Evans Mother's Day gift

Mild Endgame spoilers btw

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for chris evans smile gif

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

The Godzilla and Kong films have pretty much done all around the same give or take depending on quality. You don’t need to see an increase in a sequel in order to launch a franchise. 

The problem is the budget. If they bring down the budget, there’s no reason why they can’t have a cinematic universe. 

Also it’s not like reviews are god awful, it’s about the same as most of Disney’s live action remakes and likely the same as Aladdin. However, the budget was out of control and no one expected Endgame to be that big.

In hindsight, WB should’ve moved this to November, it would’ve scared off Sonic, had no real competition until Frozen 2, and no legit all ages blockbusters, but in hindsight, WB sucks at family films, they may get one big hit down the road but otherwise they are completely unlucky and incompetent. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Also it’s not like reviews are god awful, it’s about the same as most of Disney’s live action remakes and likely the same as Aladdin. However, the budget was out of control and no one expected Endgame to be that big.

In hindsight, WB should’ve moved this to November, it would’ve scared off Sonic, had no real competition until Frozen 2, and no legit all ages blockbusters, but in hindsight, WB sucks at family films, they may get one big hit down the road but otherwise they are completely unlucky and incompetent. 

Tbh it would've been overshadowed in November with Frozen 2 certain to be a monster as well. Don't think there was a good date for it unless they had moved it to August.

• Like 1

Just now, TMP said:

All three of the big May films are looking to open at around $50m FSS... as I foretold...

I like you man, but at this stage it's verging on concern trolling.

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Moms will be thirsty for a sexy Evans Mother's Day gift

Be good to her and take her to IMAX.  He deserves to be marveled at in IMAX.

-

Anyway,

I also think 55M to 60M seems fair.  I was not really excited doing the seat counts tonight.  I would've liked to see it over 50% at Lincoln Square.  And other than the small recliner theater -- that always manages to fill up -- Pika PIka's previews are DOA up here.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Tbh it would've been overshadowed in November with Frozen 2 certain to be a monster as well. Don't think there was a good date for it unless they had moved it to August.

Lion King would’ve destroyed it completely. February would’ve worked the best and WB as soon as they saw Lego Ninjago performance switch it and Lego 2, since Lego 2 was doomed anyways.

Or perhaps maybe, just maybe Pokémon was too niche of a property at the box office in the first place.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Lion King would’ve destroyed it completely. February would’ve worked the best and WB as soon as they saw Lego Ninjago performance switch it and Lego 2, since Lego 2 was doomed anyways.

Or perhaps maybe, just maybe Pokémon was too niche of a property at the box office in the first place.

I think Pokemon as a franchise has/had potential. I just think Pokemon Company gave them the absolute worst game to adapt. There's no nostalgia to Detective Pikachu and no real hook besides 'YOU LIKED PIKACHU RIGHT!?'. Like me and @JGAR4LIFE had been saying since Day 1, if this was adapting Red/Blue or even the anime you'd have way more nostalgia and interest from more broader and casual fans. Detective Pikachu just ends up feeling childish and kind of cash grab-y.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I'd go with this, honestly. I don't know anyone over the age of about 35 without kids who wants to see it, personally.

Edited by filmlover