grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, filmlover said:

Aladdin is selling really well at my theater for both Thursday (the 5:00 fan event already has 30 seats) and Friday in the PLF. Maybe @Biggestgeekever was onto something about the close proximity to Disney (the power of those eerie "Epcot topiaries come to life" commercials at the theater can't be denied).

I think it might be that honestly. I know one other tracker on here said Aladdin's doing really well in his area so maybe it's just me? But Aladdin the past few days has just been dead. 

23 hours ago, Mulder said:

FFH's midnight showings at my theater-

FFH-50, 3 screenings (1 IMAX, 1 3D, 1 Regular), Third day

FFH didn't sell anything today but it's coming out nearly 2 months from now and is only doing pure midnights. I'll track it for two more days and if it doesn't sell anything in the next two days I'll just come back to it when we're closer to it's release date.

Ok going to group the FFH midnight showings into this post and discuss something else.

FFH-54 (+4 tickets), 3 screenings (1 IMAX, 1 3D, 1 Regular)

I was pleasantly surprised to see this sell tickets. It hadn't sold anything yesterday and I kind of figured that'd be the end. If this keeps up for tomorrow and Saturday I'll keep tracking this. Ok the other thing is, I'm going to track Brightburn (when my AMC adds showtimes...) and I was going to track Rocketman except two things-

1. My theater only has two showings for it on Thursday

2. It's sold a grand total...of one ticket.

Now Rocketman isn't really a kind of fanboy/girl film so I'm not too worried but...it makes tracking it's Thursdays pretty pointless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I think it might be that honestly. I know one other tracker on here said Aladdin's doing really well in his area so maybe it's just me? But Aladdin the past few days has just been dead. 

Probably me.  Aladdin's been fairly strong here.  Well, decent, I should say, as it ain't strong.  Better than Pikachu at all points, at least.

Haven't done tonight's check (gonna start that in just a bit).  The social media embargo dropped yesterday, didn't it? I would have expected some sort of bounce out of it tonight then.  If it doesn't get one, that ain't a great sign.

----

*quickly scans the Aladdin thread*

Hmmm,,, Lack of reactions ain't a great sign, either. 😕

Kinda reminds me of the deafening silence post-AWiT.  Hope for the film's sake, I'm wrong. :o

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Probably me.  Aladdin's been fairly strong here.  Well, decent, I should say, as it ain't strong.  Better than Pikachu at all points, at least.

Haven't done tonight's check (gonna start that in just a bit).  The social media embargo dropped yesterday, didn't it? I would have expected some sort of bounce out of it tonight then.  If it doesn't get one, that ain't a great sign.

----

Kinda reminds me of the deafening silence post-AWiT.  Hope for the film's sake, I'm wrong. :o

Barely any reactions, reviews emargoed until the day the film comes out in a lot of countries, literal day before Thursday previews.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

----

FWIW the only screenings so far have been at the overseas premieres. Not many publications able to attend those.

FWIW the only screenings so far have been at the overseas premieres. Not many publications able to attend those.

Yeah but London has enough film people that you'd see something. That+the reactions we did get not being super positive+the late review embargo makes me hmmm.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah but London has enough film people that you'd see something. That+the reactions we did get not being super positive+the late review embargo makes me hmmm.

The reactions from those that did manage to see it not being super praise-y might be a bit concerning but I wouldn't put too much stock into the late review embargo since plenty of movies find themselves embargoed until that point these days in general, whether well-reviewed or not. In fact, The Greatest Showman was embargoed until the morning of opening day and ended up not getting savaged and the rest, well, is history (ironically, the same guys who wrote the songs for that movie - plus La La Land - also wrote the new songs for this movie).

The reactions from those that did manage to see it not being super praise-y might be a bit concerning but I wouldn't put too much stock into the late review embargo since plenty of movies find themselves embargoed until that point these days in general, whether well-reviewed or not. In fact, The Greatest Showman was embargoed until the morning of opening day and ended up not getting savaged and the rest, well, is history (ironically, the same guys who wrote the songs for that movie - plus La La Land - also wrote the new songs for this movie).

Eh iirc last time Disney did this was Dumbo and well...we all saw how that went.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Eh iirc last time Disney did this was Dumbo and well...we all saw how that went.

They also embargoed Christopher Robin until hours after showtimes had begun on the east coast lol. Silly Disney trying to keep us in the lurch about everything.

Edited by filmlover

Aladdin Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-14 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

7.47%

Total Seats Sold Today:                      21

The best comp I have so far is Detective Pikachu (which is still in pre-sales).  I also have less ideal comps with JW2 and FB2.  Use the later comps with caution.

Unadjusted Comps

1.4505x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 14 days before release. 

PRE-SALES NOTE:  [Pika Pika had 29 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24]

T-14:

Pika:    18  tickets sold  [0 sellouts/75 showings   |  8133/8648 seats left   |  5.96% sold]

Adjusted Comps

.4986x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 14 days before release.

.4458x as many tickets sold as Crimes of Grindelwald 14 days before release.

PRE-SALES NOTE: JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales and FB2 had 30 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

T-14 days:

JW2                 59 tickets sold [0 sellouts/97 showings |   8705/10113 seats left | 13.92% sold]

Aladdin (JW)    18 tickets sold [0 sellouts/70 showings |   7951/8653 seats left   |   8.11% sold]

FB2                 42 tickets sold [0 sellouts/94 showings | 11789/13377 seats left |  11.87% sold] 

Aladdin (FB)    18 tickets sold [0 sellouts/70 showings |   8383/9091 seats left    |  7.79% sold]  

Aladdin (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom

**Aladdin (FB) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Crimes of Grindelwald

• Like 4

Far From Home Greater Sacramento Area MIDNIGHT SCREENINGS Seat Report: T-53 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

8.64%

Total Showings Added Since Mon:        6

Total Seats Added Since Mon:         1193

Total Seats Sold Since Mon:              114

Still no comps at the moment.  Still thinking about roping in Limited Engagements, but leaning against as more and more showings get added.

Next update: Sun 5/12

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

As for KotM, it has now sold 106 tickets in the first two days of pre pre-sales.

Comparatively, FB2 sold 71 tickets in more or less the same period of time.

KotM pre pre-sale update:  Now at 159 (+53) tickets sold in the first three days of pre pre-sales.  FB2's final total was 103.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Aladdin Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-14 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

7.47%

Total Seats Sold Today:                      21

Yeeeesh. Not good immediately after the social media embargo drop.  Its first legitmately bad day locally, IMO.

Could just be in the tail end of the fallow period, but I ain't surprised after the muted reactions (for whatever reason) on social media.

Still doing better than Pika Pika, but not nearly as strongly as it was.

Not gonna press the panic button, but this wasn't a good day locally.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

KotM pre pre-sale update:  Now at 159 (+53) tickets sold in the first three days of pre pre-sales.  FB2's final total was 103.

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

:ohmygod:

Thot you'd like that. 👍

Also, it's probably common knowledge, but KotM is getting the PLF screens from Aladdin locally starting on its preview night.  While a couple haven't scheduled yet, the vast majority of them are now up and showing KotM that night.  The ones that don't have it scheduled yet haven't put anything in their evening window.

Something to consider at the edges, IMO.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

All 3 Pika shows nearly sold out tonight. Final number: 254 tickets.

110% Crimes of Grindelwald (10M previews)

161% Bohemian Rhapsody (6.27M previews)

769% Grinch (16.9M previews)

231% Glass (8.54M previews)

53.7% Captain Marvel (11.1M previews)

170% Shazam (10M previews)

Alright so... overperformance here? It's not like there's any 1 outlier here other than Grinch. Literally every comp I have suggests this is going above 6M for previews. Most of them indicate 8-11M so I honestly have no clue. I wouldn't say this theatre even has super strong kids showings (as the Grinch showed) so I'm not sure what's at play. Either way, this looks very good no matter what way you look at it. Very curious as to what the final number will be come morning. 

• Like 10
  • Astonished 3

Just now, Mulder said:

Final count of today-

KoTM-797

Cumulative count of today-

KoTM-1,001

Holy fuck this fucking movie broke 1,000 on early tickets before pre-sales are even announced and most theaters have them locked down. This is absolutely insane.