grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

KotM pre pre-sale update:  Now at 159 (+53) tickets sold in the first three days of pre pre-sales.  FB2's final total was 103.

Hmm. Godzilla does have decent sized fanbase to be fair so I'm curious to see how the presales compares. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Hmm. Godzilla does have decent sized fanbase to be fair so I'm curious to see how the presales compares. 

As I commented last night, there is one major difference between FB2 and KotM this go around.  When FB2 was in the unannounced stage, it wasn't available yet at many of the heavy hitters in town.  This go around, it's at most of them, including the two most trafficked theaters in the region. That probably is skewing things at least a little.

On the other hand, not being at the most trafficked theaters in town at the time FB2 was in a similar place did push business elsewhere for Potterheads who absolutely wanted to buy tickets ASAP.  So not a complete wash. 

Mostly view it as a good sign that it hasn't tapered off yet. I'll be very interested to see what the combined 'first day' of pre-sales ends up being, especially with a 160 ticket (and counting) head start.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Decent but imo not this big nor the size of HP. We'll see soon though because I'm seeing a few people say that the locked theater presales are now open.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Decent but imo not this big nor the size of HP. We'll see soon though because I'm seeing a few people say that the locked theater presales are now open.

Oh just to clarify, them being open now (Like my theater now is) makes me think WB'll announce the presales officially tomorrow. Hopefully I'm right this time and not flaked out like today ended up being.

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Oh just to clarify, them being open now (Like my theater now is) makes me think WB'll announce the presales officially tomorrow. Hopefully I'm right this time and not flaked out like today ended up being.

I just did some digging.  Tickets officially went on sale for FB2 on Oct 16.  They had been available for sale as far back as Oct 10th.  Technically there was one sale on the 8th, and 31 sales on the 9th.  But generally speaking, they started appearing en masse on Fandango on the 10th.  

Now you know your theater, so if they're available there, it might be close to go-time.  But tickets aren't generally up early at my local Cinemark's either and they've been there for a couple of days, so who knows.

I will note that they popped up at the TrueIMAX tonight (not for sale yet), so that's another point in the column of "if not today (Fri) nearly any day now". 

The one thing that MIGHT cause pause is WB not wanting to step on any sort of Pika Pika news.  That might be the only reason I could see them holding off to Mon or Tue.

But the ways of WB are strange and mysterious when it comes to marketing, so who the hell knows. 

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I just did some digging.  Tickets officially went on sale for FB2 on Oct 16.  They had been available for sale as far back as Oct 10th.  Technically there was one sale on the 8th, and 31 sales on the 9th.  But generally speaking, they started appearing en masse on Fandango on the 10th.  

Now you know your theater, so if they're available there, it might be close to go-time.  But tickets aren't generally up early at my local Cinemark's either and they've been there for a couple of days, so who knows.

I will note that they popped up at the TrueIMAX tonight (not for sale yet), so that's another point in the column of "if not today (Fri) nearly any day now". 

The one thing that MIGHT cause pause is WB not wanting to step on any sort of Pika Pika news.  That might be the only reason I could see them holding off to Mon or Tue.

But the ways of WB are strange and mysterious when it comes to marketing, so who the hell knows. 

Reason I think it's coming today is for example I checked to make sure and my theater's working on Fandango now as well, it wasn't all of today. That makes me think there was a time lock on it until today which is now unlocked. I could end up being wrong (again) but I have a feeling it'll be today.

• Like 1

Is this becoming a thing where 2 films run together? First Captain Marvel/Endgame now DP/Godzilla, what's next Aladdin/Toy Story?

And how do profits work? Do they split the profit in the showing between both movies?

Edited by Cappoedameron

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Reason I think it's coming today is for example I checked to make sure and my theater's working on Fandango now as well, it wasn't all of today. That makes me think there was a time lock on it until today which is now unlocked. I could end up being wrong (again) but I have a feeling it'll be today.

There is another point.  As of Friday, there'll be 20 days to opening night.  Cutting it kinda close to officially start selling tickets.  So tomorrow/today does sound like a really good bet, especially since your theater flipped from no-go to go.

Then again:

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

this IS WB marketing we're talking about here.  Can't quite rule anything out. :lol:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JB33 said:

I guess I was thinking about when they had a Harry Potter in November for many years, at least whenever there wasn't a Twilight or Hunger Games move in that mid-November slot.

True, kind of forgot that.

Sales for previews in fandango

23.969k 2019-05-09 THU Pokemon Detective Pikachu

9.642k 2019-03-28 THU Dumbo ($2.6m starting at 6pm)

That would mean ~$6.46m for Pikachu

33.638k 2018-12-20 THU Aquaman ($9m - 5pm)

Would mean ~$6.41m

7.566k 2019-02-07 THU The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part ($1.5m - 4pm)

Would mean ~$4.75m

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

I could try to do another hour or so of tracking, but let's just say that accounts for the matinee affect more or less.

Not going to give an official prediction but I'm thinking now around mid to high 5's for today.  Maybe as high as 6m.

It just did not have any sort of sustained bump day of like AM&tW and Venom did, which is what I was looking for as a comp that it would get stronger day-of sales.

Because I'm cutting tracking off an hour earlier, I won't be surprised to see my comps being off.  Then again, PLF and matinee might make it more of a wash.  Be interested to see where it comes in when all is said and done.

The system continues to roll

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1