grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

21 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Still don’t have a clue how to interpret FFH’s sales in terms of translating to the 6-day or 3-day 😅   

@stfletch, you’re like the Pulse archmagus, will we at some point be able to see a breakdown between midnights, true Tues, W, Th, F, S,S? If so, around when would that be?

The Amazing Spider-Man had a $137M 6-Day, while Transformers had a $155.4M 6-Day. Of course, inflation and new previews era (though technically Transformers did have 8PM previews, and TASM had Monday previews in Canada only for some reason), but there is a connection here.

• Like 1

Pulse today 8:35-8:49 EST:

John Wick 3: 161/15 – yesterday 89/15, up 81%; Hellboy (12.0M OW) had 29/15, Cold Pursuit (11.0M OW) had 27/15, Glass (40.3M OW) 113/15, Hunter Killer (6.7M OW) 12/15, Us (71.1M OW, presales-heavy) 230/15, all same day and time of the day.
A Dog's Journey: 10/15 – yesterday 3/15; Wonder Park (15.9M OW) had 24/15 at that time, Instant Family 13/15.
The Sun Is Also a Star: 5/15 – yesterday 1/15; After (6.0M OW) had 18/15 at that time on Wednesday, Five Feet Apart (13.2M OW) had 23/15 on Thursday.

Aladdin: 21/15 – yesterday 15/15
GKotM: 7/15 – yesterday 11/15

And Pulse 11:05-11:19 EST (so 15 minutes too late):

JW3: 245/15 – yesterday it were 128/15, up 91%; Hellboy had 28/15, Cold Pursuit 25/15, Glass 156/15, Hunter Killer 19/15, Us 386/15, all same day and time of the day. That's very good of course, only the comparison with Us would at the moment mean „only“ 45M OW.

A Dog's Journey: 14/15 – yesterday 8/15; Instant Family had at that time on Wednesday 14/15 too.
The Sun Is Also a Star: 5/15 – yesterday 3/15; After had at that time on Wednesday 21/15, Five Feet Apart had 48/15 on Thursday.

Aladdin: 36/15 – yesterday 22/15
GKotM: 15/15 – yesterday 16/15

PS: Saw the first sold ticket for Ma.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, el sid said:

PS: Saw the first sold ticket for Ma.

My theater has had showtimes listed for Ma for the past day or 2 (or 3?), but tickets are not available for purchase. Go figure.

13 hours ago, Mulder said:

Final count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-95 (+6), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-92 (+6), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

John Wick-163 (+21), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 5 regular) Final Week

Dark Phoenix-47 (+7), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Daaaamn that Wick increase tickets and showings wise is exactly what I want to see. Must be a very good sign for my theater to add preview screenings (They didn't do this for Pikachu for example). Though in general today everything did well, even Aladdin and Phoenix. In total today Godzilla and Aladdin both sold 6 tickets, Dark Phoenix sold 7, and John Wick sold 21 tickets and got three screenings added.

First count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-97 (+2), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-92, 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

John Wick-178 (+15), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 5 Regular) Final Day

Dark Phoenix-52 (+5), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Good early signs for Wick and Phoenix's growth is honestly surprising me, it's not really slowing down at all at my theater...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'd love it if DP did end up surprising and not being an outright disaster (box office and quality-wise), simply because the series deserves a good send-off. 

As for Wick, I would be shocked at this point if it opened under 50, even accounting for increase in the fanbase and more of a pre-booking rush factor (and less walk-up business).

So as s newbie....whats the significance of comps? When comparing and i see the percentages what sorts of things am i looking for?  Whats the sigmificance of being closer vs further to a percentage?

43 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I'd love it if DP did end up surprising and not being an outright disaster (box office and quality-wise), simply because the series deserves a good send-off. 

It wasn't until I got to this point that I realized you were talking about Dark Phoenix and not Detective Pikachu (or Deadpool for that matter).

Folks, I think we might need an intervention when it comes to this thread and its habit of reducing all movies to its initials. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Porthos said:

It wasn't until I got to this point that I realized you were talking about Dark Phoenix and not Detective Pikachu (or Deadpool for that matter).

Folks, I think we might need an intervention when it comes to this thread and its habit of reducing all movies to its initials. :lol:

Haha. Think it's an overall forum problem.

Some of them require proper squinting and and "pensive face", tbh... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I had the same problem!

---

A thought though, how about XDP for Dark Phoenix to signify X-Men? Then we already (somehow forum and reddit wide) decided on Pika Pika for Detective Pikachu.

---

My other problem is whenever people type "JW3", I always think initially "It's a little early for Jurassic World 3 talk..." only to realise it's about Wick. I'm sure @Brainbug has the exact same issue :lol:

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Stewart said:

I had the same problem!

---

A thought though, how about XDP for Dark Phoenix to signify X-Men? Then we already (somehow forum and reddit wide) decided on Pika Pika for Detective Pikachu.

---

My other problem is whenever people type "JW3", I always think initially "It's a little early for Jurassic World 3 talk..." only to realise it's about Wick. I'm sure @Brainbug has the exact same issue :lol:

So i wasnt only one jw3=jurassic world 3! 😆

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stewart said:

I had the same problem!

---

---

I recognize instantly whether or not the upcoming Masterpiece Jurassic World 3 is meant or the merely great John Wick 3.

3 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

So i wasnt only one jw3=jurassic world 3! 😆

Wick 3.  Three more letters than JW3, but don't have to worry about holding down the shift key!

• Like 1

I personally think Dog's Journey will do better than 9M. The first one opened to double that (whether or not the controversy helped or hurt it is another conversation) and Dog's Way Home even opened higher back in January which had less brand appeal and smaller buzz. 

Thinking 12-15M personally. 

John Wick 3 really picking up steam. Endgame will drop less than Pikachu today. It is gaining against DP when compared to yesterday. 

Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-05-14 14:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	25.453%	17951	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2	20.750%	14634	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
3	20.642%	14558	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
4	04.187%	2953	The Hustle (2019)
5	03.265%	2303	Long Shot
6	02.779%	1960	The Intruder (2019)
7	02.680%	1890	Aladdin (2019)
  • Like 5
  • Astonished 1

24 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Endgame's 36 million i don't really buy since it has not been holding well. I think  28 million is what Endgame will end up with this weekend.

That would be on par with the past weekend drops I'm also not buying JW 50 million opening yet. Trades have it at 35 million.

• Disbelief 1