grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

As 'Secret Life Of Pets 2' Aims For $65 Million

According to Scott Mendelssohn, Pets 2 isn’t tracking at a $65M OW ouch.

It'd be quite shocking to see Pets 2 drop that much from the first, even though I think this has probably been Illumination's least inspired marketing campaign in a long time.

• Like 3

2.2 leading to 30 last time, and now with more fanbase and pre-sales and frontloading I would say the weekend should be (give or take) 10x what the previews are. So 5 should be the goal for tonight. 

I'll give updates on a few theatres later tonight. 

• Like 3

A lot of people talk about how TS4 could drop... but to me the movie which really could see a ugly drop is Pets 2.

I don’t think it will drop to $ 65M, Illumination usually delivers great marketing close to release, but right now i don’t see it making more than $ 80M, and with TS4 coming right after i think it could fall below $ 250M total.

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

As 'Secret Life Of Pets 2' Aims For $65 Million

According to Scott Mendelssohn, Pets 2 isn’t tracking at a $65M OW ouch.

Dark Phoenix OW > SLOP 2 OW coming boiiiis

@DAJK

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

With Phoenix tracking better then expected on it's OW and SLoP2 tracking uh...much worse then expected on it's OW...I might need to reconsider my position on DAJK's club.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Pets2 has had very little promotion in my area london ontario that ive seen. I too find it surprising considering success of the original.

Edited by Tinalera
Spelling

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Pretty much. I enjoyed the first one but not gonna lie, this one just seems really uninspired.

It's the lack of Louis C.K., the main thing that made women and children want to see the first one!

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Also with Toy Story 4 opening two weeks after Pets 2 that means legs would get cut short a bit and it would be looking at a fall of around 50% from the first one. So...not great.

Damn. Though that gives me much more confidence in my sub $200M Minions 2 gross is SLOP2 falls that much. 

With this and Lego 2, apart from Frozen II and TS4, animated movie sequels have been doing rough this year. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if AB2 did $50M/$200M DOM/WW.

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

A lot of people talk about how TS4 could drop... but to me the movie which really could see a ugly drop is Pets 2.

I don’t think it will drop to $ 65M, Illumination usually delivers great marketing close to release, but right now i don’t see it making more than $ 80M, and with TS4 coming right after i think it could fall below $ 250M total.

I was always expecting DM3 numbers at best for SLOP2. The first film was a breakout hit, but the novelty has worn off. And unlike something like Toy Story, the first film did not have the stellar critical and audience reception to begin with. 

• Like 1

May 12th update 

John wick 

7:00pm - 18/225

10:15pm - 6/225

May 16th update

7:00pm - 70/225

10:15pm - 42/225

I also quickly glanced at another theatre near by that does vip shows ( most expensive seats around) and Its doing very well there.

7:00pm vip - 100/115

10:45pm vip - 55/115

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

2.2 leading to 30 last time, and now with more fanbase and pre-sales and frontloading I would say the weekend should be (give or take) 10x what the previews are. So 5 should be the goal for tonight. 

I'll give updates on a few theatres later tonight. 

Yup. I thought 10-12x previews is where it should land. Which is why earlier I said that it needs to get $5M+ in previews if it wants a chance at a $50M OW. 

The first SLOP kind of feels like the first Fantastic Beasts, where it was leggy and people liked it, but not a lot of people loved it enough to see the characters again. Obviously that wasn't the main reason Grindelwald underperformed, but I don't really think Pets held onto the pop culture zeitgeist the same way the first Despicable Me did.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Damn. Though that gives me much more confidence in my sub $200M Minions 2 gross is SLOP2 falls that much. 

With this and Lego 2, apart from Frozen II and TS4, animated movie sequels have been doing rough this year. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if AB2 did $50M/$200M DOM/WW.

Minions 2 cratering feels like a given. Did anyone like the first movie?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1