grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Minions 2 cratering feels like a given. Did anyone like the first movie?

I hope that happens but I am skeptical. Kids seem to love the yellow monster(including my daughters). I see it as a theme in so many Birthday parties. So come release time, you will see families come in as unlike DM movies focus is on the minions. I could see it drop to high 200's or low 300's but cratering seems something too good to be true.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

A cinemascore, almost 3.0 multiplier on a over 100m OW, I imagine a lot of the target audience (3 to what 9 ?) loved it.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can easily see a LM2 style drop from DM3 to Minions 2.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I hope that happens but I am skeptical. Kids seem to love the yellow monster(including my daughters). I see it as a theme in so many Birthday parties. So come release time, you will see families come in as unlike DM movies focus is on the minions. I could see it drop to high 200's or low 300's but cratering seems something too good to be true.

Considering that DM3 dropped pretty heftily from DM2, and in a way the parents forced to attend to these probably consider it a DM4. 

Besides I feel like at this point besides kids they’ve weared out their welcome amongst the adult crowd. Personally thinking $180m-$220m DOM for it but I wouldn’t be a surprised at a LM2/IA5 style drop.

This Pets discussion reminds me of the gloom and doom in the tracking thread for the first Pets. This is literally 2 days before release

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-movie-projector-20160705-snap-story.html

Never underestimate the allure of cute cartoon animals at the box office. Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures’ “The Secret Life of Pets” is expected to chow down on the competition this weekend and replace Disney-Pixar’s “Finding Dory” as the No. 1 movie in the U.S. and Canada. 

The new computer-animated film is projected to gross about $75 million in domestic ticket sales through Sunday, according to people who have reviewed pre-release audience surveys. That would be a stellar opening for a movie that cost $75 million to make. It should also represent another victory for Universal’s Illumination Entertainment, the animation studio responsible for the “Despicable Me” franchise.

The only other wide release this weekend is 20th Century Fox’s  R-rated comedy “Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates," expected to debut with $12 million to $14 million through Sunday. Zac Efron and and Adam Devine play hard-partying brothers who post an online ad to find their perfect female counterparts -- and get more than they bargain for when they meet characters played by Anna Kendrick and Aubrey Plaza.

On 7/6/2016 at 9:17 PM, WrathOfHan said:

MT:

SLOP 21.8

Dory 21.7

Tarzan 10.3

Purge 9.8

BFG 8.5

Pulse:

1. SLOP

2. Dory

3. Purge

4. Tarzan

5. SLOP 3D

At this point I'm basically expecting something between 70 and 80M for SLOP; presales have picked up but nothing indicates it's "breaking out"

On 7/11/2016 at 4:29 PM, Porthos said:

Well I spectacularly missed the Pets mega breakout (or more accurately there was little sign of it on Fandango on the weekend prior to release) so take this with a grain of salt.  At the moment Ghostbusters is still selling around five sets of tickets per minute, +/-.  Might break through onto the Pulse list sometime in the next 24 hours though.  Be interesting to see if presales pick up tonight as WOM from the UK filters around the net and the decent initial reviews from the press start getting picked up.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

A cinemascore, almost 3.0 multiplier on a over 100m OW, I imagine a lot of the target audience (3 to what 9 ?) loved it.

Absolutely not. I took my cousin’s daughter (She was 4 at the time) and she asked to go to the bathroom, asked when the movie would be over, when we could go home, if we could go get snacks....several times. But this is anecdotal of course soooo 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

17 PT 5/15/19 (End of Wed)

1	31%	Avengers: Endgame
2	23.4%	Detective Pikachu
3	16.5%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
4	4.9%	The Hustle
5	3.4%	Long Shot

Jurassic World 3 is now solidly in third place. Deadpool/Endgame ratio is 75%.    

Endgame share of non-Wick movies from 32.3% yesterday to 37.1% today, predictably dropping a bit softer than movies with a big Tues bounce.

We now interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for this breaking news update.  

13 PT 5/16/19 (Mid Thurs)  

1	29.1%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
2	28.1%	Avengers: Endgame
3	18.8%	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4	3%	The Hustle
5	2.8%	A Dog’s Journey   

I’ll try to do a midday update labeled by hour whenever there’s a new #1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yes. There is no reason to project these movies through Pre-Sales. I would wait until release day before condemning it. Of course if Pets 2 gets way worse reviews than the 1st movie, that could affect its BO, but for minions 2 I dont think even the reviews will matter.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Pets presales 4 days before openin

To be fair 2016 was completely different for presales than 2019, not to mention the first had more buzz.

Personally thinking around $65M-$80M OW for it.

@grim22  While you're here, would you mind editing the first post of this thread in regards to the MovieTickets link if you have the time?  It has an outdated link on the first page.

The current link to the Top Five over at MT.com is: https://www.movietickets.com/box-office

(old link was just https://www.movietickets.com/)

Many thanks in advance. :)

EDIT::::

Thanks, grim22,  You're the best. 👍 👍 👍 👍 

Edited by Porthos

FWIW, my theater is expecting SLOP2 to be pretty big. While movies typically start out with 2-3 showings on Thursday night and then increase depending on sales the week of release SLOP2 started out with 6 showings. That only happens here with films my theater expects to do $100M+ on OW 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Considering that DM3 dropped pretty heftily from DM2, and in a way the parents forced to attend to these probably consider it a DM4. 

Besides I feel like at this point besides kids they’ve weared out their welcome amongst the adult crowd. Personally thinking $180m-$220m DOM for it but I wouldn’t be a surprised at a LM2/IA5 style drop.

I could see that happening but Minions have their fanbase and DM movies are beyond just the minions. But let us wait until next year. Too early for that movie.

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That's true, but they do seem to be less popular now compared to a few years back. For all but the youngest of kids, their schtick gets old very fast.