grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

John wick friday 8 showings (apologies they have dbox and avx as seperate sales but seat numbers are exactly same with same showtimesso im assuming they are same here)

Silvercity

4 showings dbox/ avx 116 sold of 540 

4 showings recliner 186 sold of 444

Westmount

3 vip. 129 sold of 189

4 recliner 81 sold of 404

Edited by Tinalera
Clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Somebody stop this man!!!!

2 hours ago, Tinalera said:

Well done Porthos! Perhaps Porthos has one of of those seeing stones from LOTR😉

FmdARoX.gif

• Haha 7

15 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Porthos what's your take for OD including previews. Maybe 23-24?

A man's got to know his limitations, and projecting out an OD from a preview is absolutely one of mine. ;)

I saw your comment on the WE thread so I suppose it sounds reasonable.  But, like, I have a hard enough time figuring out an internal multi from a preview, never mind shaving it down to the OD.  :)

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

A man's got to know his limitations, and projecting out an OD from a preview is absolutely one of mine. ;)

I saw your comment on the WE thread so I suppose it sounds reasonable.  But, like, I have a hard enough time figuring out an internal multi from a preview, never mind shaving it down to the OD.  :)

Haha yeah well I love US because it seems like a great comparison. Was JW2 midnights only? Both the original and the sequel had absolutely insane preview multipliers but it's gone down each time. 16 pm for JW 1 then 13.8 for JW2 so I imagine this time it will be below 12 this time.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Haha yeah well I love US because it seems like a great comparison. Was JW2 midnights only? Both the original and the sequel had absolutely insane preview multipliers but it's gone down each time. 16 pm for JW 1 then 13.8 for JW2 so I imagine this time it will be below 12 this time.

Wick 2 came out in 2017, so it would have been Thr previews. 

And, yes, between 9x and 11x sounds about right.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Wick 2 came out in 2017, so it would have been Thr previews. 

And, yes, between 9x and 11x sounds about right.

Agreed that's a wide good range. Right in the middle is just under 60 million and I had it pegged for 55+. Crazy to think the original did 14 and change on OW. Serious growth.

Edited by cdsacken

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Agreed that's a wide good range. Right in the middle is just under 60 million and I had it pegged for 55+. Crazy to think the original did 14 and change on OW. Serious growth.

John Wick is living and profitable proof that the studios once in a while have to put out some original/new material for a franchise. I mean Franchises are the way to go now, but every franchise needs a starting point lol. Hollywood wont survive in the long game if they will always just rely on what has worked before.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

John Wick is living and profitable proof that the studios once in a while have to put out some original/new material for a franchise.

Also living proof you don't need 200m+ budget busters to be successful.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

John Wick is living and profitable proof that the studios once in a while have to put out some original/new material for a franchise. I mean Franchises are the way to go now, but every franchise needs a starting point lol. Hollywood wont survive in the long game if they will always just rely on what has worked before.

But you do understand that the potential start of any franchise is a risk or an original film of some sort.

Like the MCU is seen as a 400 pound gorilla strangling 'original film', but if IM1 failed, things be radically different now. 

• Like 1

Someone i knew who worked in the tv industry said "everyone wants the next spongebob...

But different from spongebob". In movies substitute "marvel" and i think it still works.

But i agree someone has to create new things and take those chances. But hollywood can be fickle about unknowns

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

But you do understand that the potential start of any franchise is a risk or an original film of some sort.

Like the MCU is seen as a 400 pound gorilla strangling 'original film', but if IM1 failed, things be radically different now. 

Of course i understand that its always a risk lol. But if the people at Marvel would have had that mindset in 2008, we woundt have the MCU right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Not to mention IM1 was technically an independent film, I have a feeling we won't see another major franchise born that way

Also, I take a bit of an issue with the "original/new material" thing with John Wick. This is, after all, the third film in a franchise, and ultimately the tone, style and storytelling is, in my opinion, slightly less changed than in many other "reinvigorated" franchises including even some of the biggest (such as the MCU, DCEU and the Fast franchise)

In my opinion what sets John Wick apart is that its basically arthouse action, created with a team of the best working stuntmen and fight choreographers. It knows what it is and it delivers, but unlike what its doing with its action, it isnt reinventing the wheel storytelling wise

Plus Keanu is a national (albeit Canadian) treasure, and the first film had a 20m budget 90m WW gross, he built this franchise from nothing

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

Not to mention IM1 was technically an independent film, I have a feeling we won't see another major franchise born that way

Also, I take a bit of an issue with the "original/new material" thing with John Wick. This is, after all, the third film in a franchise, and ultimately the tone, style and storytelling is, in my opinion, slightly less changed than in many other "reinvigorated" franchises including even some of the biggest (such as the MCU, DCEU and the Fast franchise)

In my opinion what sets John Wick apart is that its basically arthouse action, created with a team of the best working stuntmen and fight choreographers. It knows what it is and it delivers, but unlike what its doing with its action, it isnt reinventing the wheel storytelling wise

Plus Keanu is a national (albeit Canadian) treasure, and the first film had a 20m budget 90m WW gross, he built this franchise from nothing

Valerian did try very recently, Ubisoft also, depending what we mean by independent I think it is likely to happen, lot of non MPAA studio capital being thrown into production, from Netflix, Amazon, Apple, China, Video Game studio, Hunger Games was not so long ago.

John Wick spent $29,676,890 in qualified cost in the state of New York, it was more a 40-45-50M movie than a 20M one.

Also, I take a bit of an issue with the "original/new material" thing with John Wick. This is, after all, the third film in a franchise,

People calling John wick original/new material are certainly not calling John Wick 2 or 3 original/new.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 12:04 AM, Mulder said:

Final count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-114 (+14), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-97 (+6), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening) Final Week

Dark Phoenix-55, 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Incredible day for Godzilla today. Really good sign that it's this far ahead 2 weeks out. Not so good for Aladdin though. While it's good it finally sold tickets again, it still hasn't crossed 100 tickets sold when at this point John Wick had passed 100 tickets and I'm fairly sure Detective Pikachu had as well. Phoenix is in a dryspell as well but that's more understandable. In total today Godzilla sold 14 tickets, Aladdin sold 6, and Dark Phoenix didn't sell any.

First count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-119 (+5), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-101 (+4), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening) Final week

Dark Phoenix-56 (+1), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Good for Godzilla and Aladdin finally crossed 100 tickets.

Edited by Mulder
Wrong number of theaters for Phoenix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish our theatres could sell that many movies in advance lol. I can access aladdin and rocketman previews 2 showings one screen. Trying godzilla just "coming soon". Theatres where adjust on a quick basis so not a lot of advance sales

Edit im apparently a liar lol

I can access them but i have to go to cineplex site not london silvercity site.

Kotm had 4 showings in imax 

Dark phoenix has 2 

Both for open weekend....learn somethong new lol

And john wick 650 show dbox is sold out.

Edited by Tinalera
More info

In the last couple of decades, investors have demanded immediate return on their stock purchases.  The idea of holding onto a stock for 20 years while it slowly but steadily pays out dividends and appreciates in value is now the exception, not the norm.  We see the effect of that in all industries, not just in entertainment.

But focusing on the entertainment business, if the time horizon you're being judged on and promoted on and compensated on is 2-3 years, not 20-30 years, you fund different projects and make different decisions than you would otherwise.  A famous example that's often cited is that Seinfeld almost certainly would have been cancelled after its first season if NBC had been using the same criteria then as they are now.  A less-famous but much dearer to my heart example is Firefly, which could have become a huge hit for FOX that paid dividends for many years, possibly even becoming an entire TV/Movie franchise; instead, despite enormous critical acclaim and a devoted fanbase, it was cancelled after one season because it wasn't doing well enough immediately.  In the past, critical acclaim and devoted fans would have been seen as a solid base to build on, rather than a disappointment.  

Launching a new potential franchise on a modest budget with a bankable leading man isn't likely to go so wrong that it eats into your profits that year; the same can't be said about, say, The Mortal Engines.  It sucks, but it's the same incentive structure that leads companies that are making billions of dollars per year in profits to lay off entire teams and business units, rather than repurposing them over a couple or three years.  Laying them off now makes the stock go up immediately; retraining them and finding uses for their skills pays off ten years down the road, and that's not what the CEO is being rewarded for.

Edited by andrewgr
typo
  • Like 1

Wick 3 creeping up on the 50% line over at Fandango:

Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-05-16 16:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	48.070%	35796	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2	17.456%	12999	Avengers Endgame (2019)
3	11.115%	8277	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4	03.426%	2551	A Dogs Journey
5	02.362%	1759	The Hustle (2019)
6	01.820%	1355	Aladdin (2019)
7	01.701%	1267	Long Shot
8	01.521%	1133	The Sun Is Also a Star
9	01.454%	1083	Fandango Early Access Rocketman
10	01.188%	885	The Intruder (2019)
11	01.151%	857	Avengers Endgame  (2019)

Also Aladdin is just behind The Hustle for spot #5 when the other entry is factored in (123 sets of tickets behind, for the record).  

• Like 4

Im always fascinated on weekend nights when this thread goes quiet

People out there watching movies and just doing things. Good to see. 

While i have a moment a shout out to everyone who makes new posters feel welcome! Its awesome feeling part of this community!

Back to weekend stuff. Wick should get a small boost here in Canada as we have holiday victoria day weekend. Be interesting to see Sunday nights and monday numbers

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

17 PT 5/16/19 (End of Thurs)  

1	34.4%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
2	26.5%	Avengers: Endgame
3	17.4%	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4	2.7%	The Hustle
5	2.6%	A Dog’s Journey

17 PT 5/17/19 (End of Fri)

1	38.5%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
2	25.2%	Avengers: Endgame
3	14.8%	Pokémon Detective Pikachu