grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I'm not sure if this has been posted, so I'll throw it on here. 

It appears with the new RT audience verified rules, RT is now letting audiences rate films on Thursday preview night, when in the past you had to wait till Friday. 

Aladdin currently at 88% audience score. 

Be warned, currently the ONLY way to be verified is if you bought the ticket to that specific movie on Fandango. 
They are working with theatre chains to expand this, but for now the audience rating pool will be much smaller than it was previously, and we shouldn't read much into that. Except now we know that of the smaller pool, they've all actually seen the film!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Aladdin just seems to be absolutely lopsided areas wise. Dying in the Upper Northeast and Washington, doing good in California and Florida.

Not doing TOO good in Florida. Was behind JW3 in all of the theaters in Jacksonville that I'm tracking.

7 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

It appears with the new RT audience verified rules, RT is now letting audiences rate films on Thursday preview night, when in the past you had to wait till Friday. 

Be warned, currently the ONLY way to be verified is if you bought the ticket to that specific movie on Fandango. 
They are working with theatre chains to expand this, but for now the audience rating pool will be much smaller than it was previously, and we shouldn't read much into that. Except now we know that of the smaller pool, they've all actually seen the film!

this is a weird change. so someone who watches the movie on bluray or on tv a few months after release can't vote? stuuuupid. imdb is better

Edited by Alli

Just now, McClintonforThree said:

Not doing TOO good in Florida. Was behind JW3 in all of the theaters in Jacksonville that I'm tracking.

Huh, maybe it's just the Orlando and Kissimmee area then.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

40 ratings is a really small sample to make anything out of it, Not everybody uses Fandango and International audiences don't have access to it in most countries. I wished they implemented a more customer friendly method to verify user reviews.

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

this is a weird change. so someone who sees the movie on bluray or on tv a few months after release can't vote? stuuuupid. imdb is better

they can vote, their vote will just only count in the unverified section or "All Audience".

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

this is a weird change. so someone who sees the movie on bluray or on tv a few months after release can't vote? stuuuupid. imdb is better

Not exactly. 

You can still vote and put up a review if you'd like, it just doesn't count towards the audience reviews, they only account for the verified ones. 

Yeah, it's limiting to theatre experience only, but perhaps a necessary evil to combat against trolls and review bombing... 

• Like 4

Just now, RealLyre said:

they can vote, their vote will just only count in the unverified section or "All Audience".

Capture.PNG

Which, let's be honest, a regular user is not going to understand there is a separate section for "all audience" reviews. 

They are just going to see the number posted under audience score. 

Also interestingly, these scores are posted plenty of other places. 

For example when buying tickets on the AMC website directly, it shows the critics score and the audience score for the film you are about to purchase tickets to. It only gives the all critics tomatometer, so I would guess moving forward it will only give the verified audience score. 

I'm sure that studios pushed for this, especially after trolling on review sites has grown in recent years. 

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

Which, let's be honest, a regular user is not going to understand there is a separate section for "all audience" reviews. 

They are just going to see the number posted under audience score. 

Also interestingly, these scores are posted plenty of other places. 

For example when buying tickets on the AMC website directly, it shows the critics score and the audience score for the film you are about to purchase tickets to. It only gives the all critics tomatometer, so I would guess moving forward it will only give the verified audience score. 

I'm sure that studios pushed for this, especially after trolling on review sites has grown in recent years. 

actually it says right there that the verified percentage is only for verified users who gave the movie 3.5 stars or higher..  

I guess your verified score doesn't count if u didn't like the movie:rofl:

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

40 ratings is a really small sample to make anything out of it, Not everybody uses Fandango and International audiences don't have access to it in most countries. I wished they implemented a more customer friendly method to verify user reviews.

Yeah, it's going to be a much smaller sample, but one might argue it will be more accurate as each of these people have actually seen the movie!

Fandango has already announced it's working with the major chains to add their ticketing to the verified audience, so it will grow over time. 

Interesting to note, currently verified reviews is 88% while all audience reviews is 77%. 

Will be interesting to track this over the summer with major releases.

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

actually it says right there that the verified percentage is only for verified users who gave the movie 3.5 stars or higher..  

I guess your verified score doesn't count if u didn't like the movie:rofl:

That's not what that means. 

The % is the users who rated it 3.5 or higher. 

So for 40 reviews, it means 35 were at or above 3.5/5, and 5 were below that mark, which makes 87.5% (or 88%) above 3.5 stars.....

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

That's not what that means. 

The % is the users who rated it 3.5 or higher. 

So for 40 reviews, it means 35 were above 3.5/5, and 5 were below that mark, which makes 87.5% (or 88%) above 3.5 stars.....

ah I see my bad, shouldn't it be above 3/5 since that's what counts as fresh in the critics section.

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

ah I see my bad, shouldn't it be above 3/5 since that's what counts as fresh in the critics section.

I think they take into consideration that audiences are generally more forgiving than critics, so tend to rate a little higher anyways... just my guess 

EDIT - I didn't mean to make this into such a conversation, was just posting an interesting fact. 

I know some of you hate RT talk in this thread....

Edited by VanillaSkies

Fwiw, the sales on Pulse for Aladdin for today (as in Thursday preview tickets only) will probably end at 28kish. 

I2 comp gives around 8, Dumbo gives 7.55, Dragon 3 oddly gives just 6, Solo gives 7.25, Pika 6.9, BP (lol) gives 6.3. Gonna up my 6.5-7 to 7-7.5.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

Fwiw, the sales on Pulse for Aladdin for today (as in Thursday preview tickets only) will probably end at 28kish. 

I2 comp gives around 8, Dumbo gives 7.55, Dragon 3 oddly gives just 6, Solo gives 7.25, Pika 6.9, BP (lol) gives 6.3. Gonna up my 6.5-7 to 7-7.5.

It's already past 30K on the 24 hour tracker (when you combine both of it's entries)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Normally, I'd call for about 8m in previews based on all my comps.  But I think Sacto is over-performing a bit.  So let's say 7.5m +/- .3m.  I just don't have the guts to call for 8m. Not with those other reports out there.

If I miss, I miss. But that's what I'm seeing right now.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

It's already past 30K on the 24 hour tracker (when you combine both of it's entries)

I think @Menor was looking at the Thursday sales specifically and not the 24 hour tracker

25547	2019-05-23	THU	Aladdin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think @Menor was looking at the Thursday sales specifically and not the 24 hour tracker

25547	2019-05-23	THU	Aladdin

Ah, gotcha. 

When he said today, I interpreted it as the 24 hour period. 

We almost have too many Fandango reference points now (though really, you can never have too many data points!)

• Like 1