grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Also this is #NotTheChinaThread but I checked the China thread and while both Gavin and another user from China disliked it, the Fandango-equivalent in China's score is good. We'll see what the Maoyan score is for it but for now I think it's too early to say what KoTM's WoM'll be in China. 

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Believe or not but the China presales are very weak for Phoenix.

I know. I do keep an eye on Maoyan PS. But its show count is still very low. Until that crosses 30K+ PS does not matter. Last mummy had negligible PS until monday of release week. So did Wondy and Aquaman. I am sure it will make some money though a drop from Apocalypse is guaranteed. I am expecting 500m yuan vs 812m gross for Apocalypse few years back.

I will say I am looking forward to seeing the X-Men characters getting a fresh perspective in a few years. There's only so many times you can watch Xavier and Magneto be the world's most complicated frenemies before exhausting. Or continuing to find ways to turn Magneto evil after he had already been redeemed (especially in the last movie where they gave him a family whose sole purpose was to get killed so he could be motivated to turn bad again). Or the whole notion of mutants as a metaphor for minorities being outcasts which is dated in 2019 when minorities are more visible than ever. Can't blame people for just moving on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I will say I am looking forward to seeing the X-Men characters getting a fresh perspective in a few years. There's only so many times you can watch Xavier and Magneto be the world's most complicated frenemies before exhausting. Or continuing to find ways to turn Magneto evil after he had already been redeemed (especially in the last movie where they gave him a family whose sole purpose was to get killed so he could be motivated to turn bad again). Or the whole notion of mutants as a metaphor for minorities being outcasts which is dated in 2019 when minorities are more visible than ever. Can't blame people for just moving on.

That's not really the reason mutants represent minorities @Being outcasts. It's more that they're hated just for the way they're born and for being different, which in 2019 is sadly alive and well.

• Like 1

Here's a few quick numbers for various movies at my theater (previews Thursday / OD for SM:FFH) - As of May 26 @ 3pm CST

Godzilla KOTM - 4 days out: 11 show times; 207 tickets sold out of 1381 available (14.99%)

Dark Phoenix - 11 days out: 7 show times, 96 tickets sold out of 909 available (10.56%)

Secret Life of Pets 2 - 11 days out: 7 show times, 14 tickets sold out of 985 available (1.42%)

Toy Story 4 - 25 days out: Nothing yet but 15 showtimes are already allocated for it.

Spider-Man FFH - 36 days out: 23 show times, 525 tickets sold out of 3617 available (14.51%)

Thoughts: I haven't looked at any of these really, but KOTM and Dark Phoenix are essentially where I thought they'd be. SLOP2 is performing atrociously however. I don't really know how to read it. It has literally sold 14 tickets so far. TS4 has a good amount of times up already, but nothing is on sale yet. Currently I'm thinking it'll do about $13-15m in previews. Spider-Man FFH is commanding all of the largest screens for it's OD. Wouldn't be surprised if it did over $40 million on Tuesday. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Mulder said:

That's not really the reason mutants represent minorities @Being outcasts. It's more that they're hated just for the way they're born and for being different, which in 2019 is sadly alive and well.

True, but it does feel tired when the franchise has been beating the same drum for almost 20 years. Show the mutants being happy and living in perfect harmony with everybody else dang it!

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

True, but it does feel tired when the franchise has been beating the same drum for almost 20 years. Show the mutants being happy and living in perfect harmony with everybody else dang it!

I agree. First class had an interesting take but to sequel went with a different path. I am curious where Feige goes with these characters. May be introduce them with next avengers movie like how Black Panther/Spidey were introduced in Civil War before starting their own franchises. Or start a new trilogy with X-Men which would be a HUGE challenge.

Also would Disney make Deadpool 3 or Ryan Reynolds is done with the character?

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Show the mutants being happy and living in perfect harmony with everybody else dang it!

Not An X-Men Thread, but... That'd be like "Show a happy Thanos" or "Show a wise and solemn Deadpool".

Mutants vs Society is kinda one of the major points of X-Men. :lol:  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Also would Disney make Deadpool 3 or Ryan Reynolds is done with the character?

Everything we have seen is that he's down and groovy for DisneyPool. :)

• Like 3

why do they talk about Disney-film like it is jumping on the back of a truck?

the cheesier they make it, the more suspicious i get

i guess Disney is a club you have to sign up for, and people carry attitudes with their enrollment

🐇

Edited by Clubs Are Trash

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (4 before previews, 5 before release)

North Shore Cinema 

Mequon, WI

5/30/19

4:00 - 8/301 - UltraScreen 

7:15 - 46/301 - UltraScreen 

10:30 - 4/301 - UltraScreen 

Running:

57% behind Spider-Man: Homecoming ($49.9M OW)

1% ahead of Venom ($81.4M OW)

35% ahead of Mission Impossible: Fallout ($82.6M OW)

107% ahead of Pokémon: Detective Pikachu ($112.8M OW)

123% ahead of Kingsman: The Golden Circle ($87M OW)

I will update more but Godzilla so far is looking like a king. Think $60M+ should happen.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, I remember you and @captainwondyful commenting on how well it's doing at the ONFE's at your places.  That's one reason why I mentioned it, in fact.  Just surprised to see the large difference here.

I don't normally check weekends, yet here we go.  The ONFE 6PM IMAX at Lincoln Square only has thirteen tickets still available, and four are wheelchair spots, two are ADA attendants, so really eight regular seats. 

Contrast that with my local IMAX whose 6PM has sold 2 tickets.

I interpret that two ways:

1. I agree with @filmlover about how most have said their goodbyes to this franchise/universe.  It feels like a non-event.

2. As someone who considers my First Showing of Thursday Previews for the latest MCU sacred "Me Time", I absolutely understand why the Fan Events are over-indexing.  The last hurrah. I'd want to see it with an audience that still cares. 

I feel like Dark Phoenix could be an interesting film to track TFSS.  Will its frontloadedness be constrained to Thursday/Friday, or will it have a stable frontloaded weekend and a massive drop after its first Discount Tuesday?

And this post was brought you by Atom, who forced me to look at this rude blog post before getting to the upcoming films.

Spoiler

image0.png

Spoiler

WTF Question is That?

angry full house GIF

Spoiler

Everyone knows the answer is: "They've been best friends forever and ever, and Steve would probably be in love with her cause she's so His Type for The Ladies, and Marvel/DC denying me a 1990's intercompany crossover is probably the second worst thing they've ever done on a long list of worst things they've ever done.  Like, you pair her up with Frank Castle??!?!  So you can make a 'Bullets and Bracelets' pun?  You do that when you have "Steve Rogers Crashes His Plane During WWII and Wakes Up On Themyscira" RIGHT THERE.

embarrassed shame GIF

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I will say I am looking forward to seeing the X-Men characters getting a fresh perspective in a few years.

Kevin Feige producing a Dazzler Musical Action Movie is The Ultimate Dream.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I will say I am looking forward to seeing the X-Men characters getting a fresh perspective in a few years.

I've heard through the grapevine Chalamet was a frontrunner to play Nightcrawler in Apocalypse. If Papa Feige is willing to give him some work in the future, then hey....

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

17 PT 5/25/19 (End of Sat)  

1	52.6%	Aladdin
2	13.6%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
3	11.4%	Avengers: Endgame
4	6.9%	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
5	3%      Booksmart  

It’s, ah... it’s pretty much exactly what you’d expect 😛 

17 PT 5/26/19 (End of Sun)  

1	51.2%	Aladdin
2	12.6%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
3	12%	Avengers: Endgame
4	7.3%	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
5	3.2%    Booksmart   

Not sure how things will move on the holiday Mon, but a bit surprised to see Endgame within striking distance of Wick today. Overall not much movement. Think we’ll see Zilla show up Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

17 PT 5/26/19 (End of Sun)  

1	51.2%	Aladdin
2	12.6%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
3	12%	Avengers: Endgame
4	7.3%	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
5	3.2%    Booksmart   

Not sure how things will move on the holiday Mon, but a bit surprised to see Endgame within striking distance of Wick today. Overall not much movement. Think we’ll see Zilla show up Tuesday.

Hopefully those legs we were all hoping for are showing up!

MT by itself is weak evidence. at 24 hour fandango, JW3 is 50% ahead of Endgame and plus JW3 is all adult tickets while Endgame would still have kids tickets. I dont see Wick 3 go below Endgame next week when Zilla will hit Endgame harder than JW3. Endgame will start to shed screens very fast. JW3 would be in 3rd weekend and will hold better.