Jump to content
grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Mulder said:

First count of today, just Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-196 (+3), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 3 Regular) Final week

Dark Phoenix-81 (+4), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Final count of today, just Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-203 (+10), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 3 Regular) Final week

Dark Phoenix-83 (+6), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

SLoP 2-5, 4 screenings (2 3D, 2 Regular)

 

Today was a pretty good day for Godzilla and Phoenix. Godzilla crossed 200 today, faster then any of the other releases I've tracked, and Phoenix sold a decent amount today. SLoP2 though.... In total Godzilla sold 10 tickets and Phoenix sold 6.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah the reason I'm especially happy with the 10 tickets sold is where they're going. To the 4 PM shows (IMAX AND 3D) and to the regular 2D showing at 8:15. It's a good balance and not a sign of front loading. Every showing now has at least 3 tickets sold.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
2
20 hours ago, McClintonforThree said:

Only Thursdays

Orange Park AMC

Godzilla KOTM - 171 (+21), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 1 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

Rocketman - 40 (-1), 3 screenings (1 Dolby, 2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 1 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 103 (0), 8 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

 

Godzilla had a fantastic day and is back to a 20 ticket lead on Aladdin. A terrible day for everyone else though as Rocketman lost a ticket, and SLOP2 and Dark Phoenix sold zilch. Also, Dark Phoenix has now fallen behind Godzilla even with the populated fan screening.

 

Regency AMC

Godzilla KOTM - 219 (+16), 10 screenings (3 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 3 Regular)

Rocketman - 27 (+1), 3 screenings (1 Dolby, 2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 8 (0), 5 screenings (2 3D, 3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 163 (+13), 8 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

 

Godzilla had another ok day and has fallen behind Aladdin by 2. Dark Phoenix is selling like hotcakes here for some reason. It is 24 ahead of where Godzilla was.

 

Epic Theatres at Oakleaf

Godzilla KOTM - 28 (+2), 3 screenings (3 Epic XL)

Rocketman - 0 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 4 (0), 3 screenings (3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 0 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

 

Nothing to see here. Godzilla is behind Aladdin by 27 tickets here.

 

NewVision 12 at Fleming Island

Godzilla KOTM - 4 (0) , 3 screenings (3 Regular)

Rocketman - 0 (0), 0 screenings

SLOP2 - 0 (0), 0 screenings

Dark Phoenix - 1 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

 

These little theater presales are bumming me out man.

 

Avenues Regal Cinemas

Godzilla KOTM - 40 (0), 5 screenings (2 3D, 3 Regular)

Rocketman - 10 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 16 (0), 5 screenings (1 RPX 2D, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 33 (0), 7 screenings (2 4DX 3D, 1 RPX 2D, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

 

0 Thursday tickets sold today. And it's a fairly big theater. Smh.

 

Cinemark Tinseltown

Godzilla KOTM - 139 (+9), 6 screenings (1 3D, 3 XD, 2 Regular)

Rocketman - 15 (+4), 3 screenings (3 Regular)

SLOP2 - 16 (0), 3 screenings (3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 30 (0), 4 screenings (2 3D, 2 Regular)

 

*It's something meme*

So, overall it was a meh day for ticket sales. The AMCs really dominate the presales in this area. A little disturbed by Godzilla's presales at Epic but we'll see what happens in the coming week. It's only on the PLF screens there so that might have something to do with Aladdin's large lead. Elsewhere, Godzilla is killing it at Orange Park and about even with Aladdin at Regency. Hopefully ticket sales really pick up this week. I NEED THE MONSTERVERSE TO CONTINUE!

Only Thursdays

Orange Park AMC

Godzilla KOTM - 179 (+8), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 1 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

Rocketman - 45 (+5), 3 screenings (1 Dolby, 2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 1 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 106 (+3), 8 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

 

Godzilla had a slower day but is still 28 tickets ahead of Aladdin. Rocketman gained a respectable 5 tickets. SLOP2... this can't be good can it? Dark Phoenix still slowly moving forward and is now behind Godzilla by 11 tickets.

 

Regency AMC

Godzilla KOTM - 232 (+13), 10 screenings (3 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 3 Regular)

Rocketman - 30 (+3), 3 screenings (1 Dolby, 2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 8 (0), 5 screenings (2 3D, 3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 163 (0), 8 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

 

Godzilla has now fallen behind Aladdin by 19 tickets considering Aladdin sold 30 on this day last week. I have a feeling Godzilla is gonna continue to fall behind since this theater started getting 20+ tickets a day from here on out. Rocketman did ok. SLOP2 I'm super confused by. Do family films not presale at all? Dark Phoenix which has been selling really well at this theater didn't sell anything today.

 

Epic Theatres at Oakleaf

Godzilla KOTM - 28 (0), 3 screenings (3 Epic XL)

Rocketman - 0 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 4 (0), 3 screenings (3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 0 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

NewVision 12 at Fleming Island

Godzilla KOTM - 4 (0) , 3 screenings (3 Regular)

Rocketman - 0 (0), 0 screenings

SLOP2 - 0 (0), 0 screenings

Dark Phoenix - 1 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

Avenues Regal Cinemas

Godzilla KOTM - 42 (+2), 5 screenings (2 3D, 3 Regular)

Rocketman - 10 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 16 (0), 5 screenings (1 RPX 2D, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 33 (0), 7 screenings (2 4DX 3D, 1 RPX 2D, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

Cinemark Tinseltown

Godzilla KOTM - 151 (+12), 6 screenings (1 3D, 3 XD, 2 Regular)

Rocketman - 17 (+2), 3 screenings (3 Regular)

SLOP2 - 16 (0), 3 screenings (3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 30 (0), 4 screenings (2 3D, 2 Regular)

 

Welp. Not a lot of movement overall. Hopefully Godzilla sales start picking up like Aladdin's did last week.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King of the Monsters Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-4 Days and counting

 

 

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

0

98

12441

13740

9.45%

 

Total Seats Sold Today:                    111

 

IMO, the best comp of movies I have tracked will be Fallen Kingdom.  I also have comps with the Aladdin and Detective Pikachu as something as a compare/contrast with current May movies.  They may not be as good comps, being in different genres.

 

Unadjusted Comps

1.0417x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 4 days before release. 

0.8928x as many tickets sold as Aladdin 4 days before release.

 

T-4:

Pika        110 tickets sold  [0 sellouts/62 showings   |   6217/7464 seats left    | 16.71% sold]

Aladdin   128 tickets sold  [0 sellouts/81 showings   | 9934/11393 seats left    | 12.78% sold]

 

Adjusted Comps

.4934x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 4 days before release.       

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

 

T-4:

JW2             220 tickets sold [0 sellouts/111 showings |   8833/11263 seats left   |  21.58% sold]

KotM (JW)    107 tickets sold [0 sellouts/98 showings   | 11080/12172 seats left   |    8.97% sold]

KotM (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Far From Home Greater Sacramento Area MIDNIGHT SCREENINGS Seat Report: T-36 Days and counting

 

 

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

0

14

2071

2342

11.57%

 

Total Seats Sold Since Sun:                15

 

No comps at the moment. 

 

Next update: Thr 5/30

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Porthos said:

Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-05-25 00:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	44.782%	34557	Aladdin (2019) [combined]
2	16.306%	12583	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
3	10.796%	8331	Avengers Endgame (2019) [combined]
4	06.271%	4839	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
5	04.555%	3515	Booksmart
6	04.216%	3253	Brightburn
7	03.368%	2599	Fandango Early Access The Secret Life of Pets 2
8	01.454%	1122	A Dogs Journey
9       01.418% 1094    Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) [combined] 
10	01.359%	1049	The Hustle (2019)

Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-05-26 00:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	45.830%	34074	Aladdin (2019) [combined]
2	16.452%	12232	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
3	11.321%	8417	Avengers Endgame (2019) [combined]
4	06.581%	4893	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
5	05.006%	3722	Booksmart
6	04.148%	3084	Brightburn
7       01.699% 1263    Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) [combined] 
8	01.579%	1174	A Dogs Journey
9	01.383%	1028	The Hustle (2019)
10	01.022%	760	Long Shot
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

King of the Monsters Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-4 Days and counting

 

 

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

0

98

12441

13740

9.45%

 

Total Seats Sold Today:                    111

 

IMO, the best comp of movies I have tracked will be Fallen Kingdom.  I also have comps with the Aladdin and Detective Pikachu as something as a compare/contrast with current May movies.  They may not be as good comps, being in different genres.

 

Unadjusted Comps

1.0417x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 4 days before release. 

0.8928x as many tickets sold as Aladdin 4 days before release.

 

T-4:

Pika        110 tickets sold  [0 sellouts/62 showings   |   6217/7464 seats left    | 16.71% sold]

Aladdin   128 tickets sold  [0 sellouts/81 showings   | 9934/11393 seats left    | 12.78% sold]

 

Adjusted Comps

.4934x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 4 days before release.       

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

 

T-4:

JW2             220 tickets sold [0 sellouts/111 showings |   8833/11263 seats left   |  21.58% sold]

KotM (JW)    107 tickets sold [0 sellouts/98 showings   | 11080/12172 seats left   |    8.97% sold]

KotM (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom.

 

Just now, Porthos said:
23 hours ago, Porthos said:


Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-05-25 00:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	44.782%	34557	Aladdin (2019) [combined]
2	16.306%	12583	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
3	10.796%	8331	Avengers Endgame (2019) [combined]
4	06.271%	4839	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
5	04.555%	3515	Booksmart
6	04.216%	3253	Brightburn
7	03.368%	2599	Fandango Early Access The Secret Life of Pets 2
8	01.454%	1122	A Dogs Journey
9       01.418% 1094    Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) [combined] 
10	01.359%	1049	The Hustle (2019)


Fandango Sales Past 24 Hours
Since: 2019-05-26 00:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	45.830%	34074	Aladdin (2019) [combined]
2	16.452%	12232	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
3	11.321%	8417	Avengers Endgame (2019) [combined]
4	06.581%	4893	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
5	05.006%	3722	Booksmart
6	04.148%	3084	Brightburn
7       01.699% 1263    Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) [combined] 
8	01.579%	1174	A Dogs Journey
9	01.383%	1028	The Hustle (2019)
10	01.022%	760	Long Shot

Veeeeeeery slight rise for KotM, both locally and nationally via Fandango.  If it's because folks are treating today like a super sized Saturday, then nbd.  But if it continues then I have to say it isn't the greatest of signs for KotM.  

 

I personally think it's the former.  And I haven't tracked an opener coming off a 4day weekend before, so I don't have any priors to look at.  So we'll see what Monday brings.  :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Porthos said:

 

Veeeeeeery slight rise for KotM, both locally and nationally via Fandango.  If it's because folks are treating today like a super sized Saturday, then nbd.  But if it continues then I have to say it isn't the greatest of signs for KotM.  

 

I personally think it's the former.  And I haven't tracked an opener coming off a 4day weekend before, so I don't have any priors to look at.  So we'll see what Monday brings.  :)

We'll see tomorrow but I feel like it's because of the 4 day weekend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

We'll see tomorrow but I feel like it's because of the 4 day weekend.

I hope it's because of the 4 day weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McClintonforThree said:

I hope it's because of the 4 day weekend.

At this point I'm just resigned to whatever happens honestly. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

At this point I'm just resigned to whatever happens honestly. 

I'm still a ball of hopeful nervous energy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McClintonforThree said:

I'm still a ball of hopeful nervous energy.

I feel like for me it's easier because I've seen the movie and loved it. Ideally I'd want it to get a good RT score and make money, but tbh I'm just glad a movie like it exists and that the franchise has gotten to this point.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I feel like for me it's easier because I've seen the movie and loved it. Ideally I'd want it to get a good RT score and make money, but tbh I'm just glad a movie like it exists and that the franchise has gotten to this point.

Yeah I agree with all this. I'm not too worried about the box office or the RT score because I saw the movie and had a fun time. I can't control RT or the box office, so it's not really my problem.

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

giphy.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Movie/Date Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

Godzilla 1,217 1,187 1,400 1,125 1,098 1,047 1,194
  11 days 10 days 9 days 8 days 7 days 6 days 5 days
               
Secret Life of Pets 2 124 121 146 112 87 79 80
  18 days 17 days 16 days 15 days 14 days 13 days 12 days
               
Dark Phoenix 392 347 386 287 238 185 253
  18 days 17 days 16 days 15 days 14 days 13 days 12 days
               
Spider-Man FFH 416 364 391 237 211 173 149
  43 days 42 days 41 days 40 days 39 days 38 days 37 days

 

 

 

 

Godzilla

Day 11-5

85% of John Wick 3 (48.5M)

48% of Fallen Kingdom (71.1M)

 

Day 18-5

121% of John Wick 3 (68.9M) (minus days 14-12. Endgame deflation also occurred)

47% of Fallen Kingdom (69.4M)

 

Day 23-5

34% of Fallen Kingdom (50.4M)

 

This didn't see a big bump, but as said before, it is a bit understandable, as this Sunday is basically acting like a second Saturday. And in the end, the fact that it's still close to 70M when using its best genre comp probably means something. And of course, the more comps we have starting tomorrow, the better it is for comparisons.

 

Pets 2

Day 18-12

66% of Grinch (44.8M)

163% of Hotel 3 (71.8M)

 

Day 25-12

65% of Grinch (43.7M)

195% of Hotel 3 (86.1M)

 

This also has an excuse of today being a second Saturday (this also basically applies to all the other movies coming up), and this is still an interesting conundrum. Do we follow Grinch, or Hotel Transylvania? Of course, this isn't really a presales-driven movie, so let's be a touch optimistic here and say Hotel Transylvania.

 

Dark Phoenix

Day 15-12

20% of Aquaman (13.8M)

52% of Glass (20.9M)

36% of Venom (29.1M)

 

Day 18-12

25% of Aquaman (17.2M)

 

Day 25-12

50% of Aquaman (34.1M)

 

So I decided to dig through and find some Aquaman and Venom comps, because I thought, "hey, these movies opened lower than the MCU offerings. Maybe these will paint a clearer picture." And....well, it is painting a picture, but not one that I think Disney would like. But hey, it's still a few days away, and maybe the final marketing stretch will turn things around a bit.

 

Far From Home

Day 43-37

48% of Captain Marvel (73.2M)

 

That may seem bad, but there are so many differing factors between both FFH and CM, down to release date and even showtimes. Also, it's about a month away, so...who cares?

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mulder said:

I feel like for me it's easier because I've seen the movie and loved it. Ideally I'd want it to get a good RT score and make money, but tbh I'm just glad a movie like it exists and that the franchise has gotten to this point.

If its good why should you worry about RT score? I never get it wrong.. why the doubt? Be honest 😛

 

TTVOMJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maximum Avery said:

If its good why should you worry about RT score? I never get it wrong.. why the doubt? Be honest 😛

  

TTVOMJ

My opinion isn't going to be everyone's. Even if I find it good, doesn't mean critics'll agree. I thought BvS was excellent and I still stand by this, RT would not agree with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

If its good why should you worry about RT score? I never get it wrong.. why the doubt? Be honest 😛

 

TTVOMJ

To add to what Mulder already commented on, there also is some correlation between an RT score and initial interest in a movie.  Not total as Aladdin is showing right now.  On the other hand, there'll probably be a slight difference in initial box office if KotM clocks in at around 45 on Rotten Tomatoes versus 65.  

 

Once the WOM starts to kick in, then sure RT is less important.  But as I've said before critic reviews are the very last piece of buzz and the very first piece of WOM.  And on this forum we really are concerned about both buzz and WOM as it usually affects the box office to some degree or another.

 

Beyond that, @Mulder and other Godzilla fans would like to see more films in the MonsterVerse.  A badly received KotM makes that more difficult and how critics receive the movie is part of the whole equation.

 

PS:  That and nerves. Speaking as someone who has gone through this too many times to count, nerves aren't always rational. ;)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mulder said:

My opinion isn't going to be everyone's. Even if I find it good, doesn't mean critics'll agree. I thought BvS was excellent and I still stand by this, RT would not agree with me.

No no... there is a difference between preference and stepping away from subjectivity...  i worked with a guy who thought he was THE film affacionado until he met me.. it was easy for him to be that in front of his other friends and colleagues who were even less into films than him... he went on and on about BvS saying its the best film ever... well that is an insult for anyone who watched more than 17 movies.. i told him this.. I explained my background and lay down my argument and the conclusion was: its his FAVORITE movie ever.. not best..

so- you CAN say you liked it, but if you cant take a step back and look at the whole picture your objectivity needs a workout routine... its easy.  Just let go of ego ^^  the only discrepancy that can occur is us not liking the film and RT going up.. but even then we should allways see what was good about it.. sometimes good outweighs the bad and vice versa.. couple that with timing of release date and people sentiment around the film and you can easily get a faux zeitgeist moment that sprung out of average people's cycle of boredom fueled by social media and need for acceptance..example: negative(aladdin, captain marvel) positive: (logan, mission impossible 6)

 

TTVOMJ

  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

No no... there is a difference between preference and stepping away from subjectivity...  i worked with a guy who thought he was THE film affacionado until he met me.. it was easy for him to be that in front of his other friends and colleagues who were even less into films than him... he went on and on about BvS saying its the best film ever... well that is an insult for anyone who watched more than 17 movies.. i told him this.. I explained my background and lay down my argument and the conclusion was: its his FAVORITE movie ever.. not best..

 so- you CAN say you liked it, but if you cant take a step back and look at the whole picture your objectivity needs a workout routine... its easy.  Just let go of ego ^^  the only discrepancy that can occur is us not liking the film and RT going up.. but even then we should allways see what was good about it.. sometimes good outweighs the bad and vice versa.. couple that with timing of release date and people sentiment around the film and you can easily get a faux zeitgeist moment that sprung out of average people's cycle of boredom fueled by social media and need for acceptance..example: negative(aladdin, captain marvel) positive: (logan, mission impossible 6)

 

TTVOMJ

Yeah sorry just going to curb it here because me and you have very different opinions on film objectivity and how objective RT is.

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.