grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

To add to what Mulder already commented on, there also is some correlation between an RT score and initial interest in a movie.  Not total as Aladdin is showing right now.  On the other hand, there'll probably be a slight difference in initial box office if KotM clocks in at around 45 on Rotten Tomatoes versus 65.  

Once the WOM starts to kick in, then sure RT is less important.  But as I've said before critic reviews are the very last piece of buzz and the very first piece of WOM.  And on this forum we really are concerned about both buzz and WOM as it usually affects the box office to some degree or another.

Beyond that, @Mulder and other Godzilla fans would like to see more films in the MonsterVerse.  A badly received KotM makes that more difficult and how critics receive the movie is part of the whole equation.

PS:  That and nerves. Speaking as someone who has gone through this too many times to count, nerves aren't always rational. ;)

Thank you porthos:) i may sound like a child, but it is because i like to find that 1 simple, inoccuous, dreamy and "gamechangy" detail NOONE noticed before(other obvious ones have been dissected by others) that might make things more easy to understand.. and here as much as i am a fanboy of godzilla i am a fan of movies and when any movie fails except those religious propaganda ones i feel sad... you dont need to tell me about nerves xD i lost too many of them in 1997 with JP2, then 1999 with phantom menace and i said no more xD 

TTVOMJ

6 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah sorry just going to curb it here because me and you have very different opinions on film objectivity and how objective RT is.

So you decide to not learn anything? Great.. just tell people you disagree xD game over

TTVOMJ

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Just now, Maximum Avery said:

So you decide to not learn anything? Great.. just tell people you disagree xD game over

TTVOMJ

It's the Box Office tracking thread not the "Debate the validity of film opinions and if film opinions can ever be objective and if so is RT an objective marker of this?" thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's the Box Office tracking thread not the "Debate the validity of film opinions and if film opinions can ever be objective and if so is RT an objective marker of this?" thread.

I asked why the doubts about RT score and you said not 1 example.. so i tried to teach you how to find them.. by letting go of ego.. nvm if you think this was more than that:) .. its not like i dont run into people who are still holding on tight...   have a nice day

TTVOMJ

• ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, Mulder said:

Is the format 3D or 2D if I can ask?

Sorry, I posted this and didn’t come back last night. 

The earliest show is 2D, and the two later shows are in the biggest AVX Dbox theatre that’s always used for big blockbuster openers and they’re all normally in 3D. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maximum Avery said:

I asked why the doubts about RT score and you said not 1 example.. so i tried to teach you how to find them.. by letting go of ego.. nvm if you think this was more than that:) .. its not like i dont run into people who are still holding on tight...   have a nice day

TTVOMJ

I've found many underseen and underrated films that got below 50 something on RT, the whole system is broken, read what Scorsese has to say about RT and he's just spot on. 

21 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I've found many underseen and underrated films that got below 50 something on RT, the whole system is broken, read what Scorsese has to say about RT and he's just spot on. 

I asked about godzilla... about doubts in godzilla since that person saw it and said that he isnt sure about rt score..i aksed why the doubts and to be honest... i am curious since godzilla is my second most anticipated movie if 2019. good day

TTVOMJ

While everybody's handwringing over Godzilla, Rocketman is doing incredibly impressive around here. The 6:30 for Friday is already more than half full in the biggest non-PLF theater. $30M+ is certainly looking possible, especially with that high theater count. Go Taron (and Elton)!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

Veeeeeeery slight rise for KotM, both locally and nationally via Fandango.  If it's because folks are treating today like a super sized Saturday, then nbd.  But if it continues then I have to say it isn't the greatest of signs for KotM.  

I personally think it's the former.  And I haven't tracked an opener coming off a 4day weekend before, so I don't have any priors to look at.  So we'll see what Monday brings.  :)

100% this is due to the 4-day weekend. It will have a huge pick up tonight and will continue to rise throughout the week.

Kotm seem seems o slowly be catching steam up here. It may not have sellout previews up here but our main theatre is in a mall and its going to do big walkup i think. A day at the mall followed up by watching massive monsters slug it out on a massive screen. It should well i think

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Zilla PS is horrible for a movie opening in 3 days unless fandango tracker is broken.. Across 3 formats it sold 56 tickets in fandango over past hour. Sadly we dont get updates from @Deep Wang. So let us see if fandango situation improves. Aladdin was showing strong trend last week on fandango.

It's been mentioned already, but with Monday acting like a Sunday this week, it's very hard to compare KOTM performance with other films that didn't have a holiday Monday. All current films are making piles of cash today, so next weekend's releases are still on the back burner like a typical Sunday. We will get a clearer picture throughout the week....

EDIT - or look at it this way. KOTM is currently making up around 2.5% of sales today. 

Given that today's sales for current films will come in around 40 million total, that's 1 million in presales for KOTM today. That's not too bad at all.

Edited by VanillaSkies

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Zilla PS is horrible for a movie opening in 3 days unless fandango tracker is broken.. Across 3 formats it sold 56 tickets in fandango over past hour. Sadly we dont get updates from @Deep Wang. So let us see if fandango situation improves. Aladdin was showing strong trend last week on fandango.

I wouldn't reach much into its sales right now considering we're still in the midst of a long holiday weekend. If it's still underperforming tomorrow, then you can start pressing the panic buttons.

I wouldn't be worry about godzilla opening, monsters flick are known as walk-up based, it is proven again , again and again by their overperforming opening weekend.

Godzilla 2014

Kong

The Meg

Rampagae

Jurassic World  twice! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wouldn't reach much into its sales right now considering we're still in the midst of a long holiday weekend. If it's still underperforming tomorrow, then you can start pressing the panic buttons.

I am not talking about not being in top 5. But it cannot sell so little. Aladdin looked strong last sunday. New releases normally tend to look strong early in the morning before the shows start.

Looked around in theaters at NYC, SF and LA. few imax/PLF look strong at AMC Lincoln Square, Empire 25, AMC Universal City, AMC Metreon etc. But it seems to have fewer shows. At metreon it seems to just have imax shows at this point. Previews are starting at 4PM. I dont see a point have it so early unless kids out of school coming in.

Let us see how situation changes tomorrow. But discount tuesday could still keep the numbers subdued.

Edited by keysersoze123

6 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - Regal Edwards Ontario Palace IMAX & RPX (Thursday Night)

IMAX 2D

4:00 PM - 21/532

7:00 PM - 162/532

10:15 PM - 68/532

RealD 3D

8:00 PM NEW - 3/150

10:45 PM - 8/411

2D

4:30 PM - 0/411

7:30 PM - 9/411

Total

271(+137)/2979(+150) (9.1%)

6.452x as many seats sold as Aladdin 3 days before previews

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I wouldn't be worry about godzilla opening, monsters flick are known as walk-up based, it is proven again , again and again by their overperforming opening weekend.

Godzilla 2014

Kong

The Meg

Rampagae

Jurassic World  twice! 

1st Jurassic world was incredibly strong early on. it was already on MT top 3 10-12 days before release. it became number one early on monday of release and crossed 50%+ on the same day. But cannot compare as that was a 200m+ opener.