Westmount 
Godzilla     Thurs may 30
VIP
615 16/59 (+2)  930 9/59(+0)

Edited by Tinalera
More info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-worldwide-box-office-opening-preview-1202623781/

This production, which we hear cost $170M before P&A, will be completely dependent on overseas should it emerge into the black, and all in Godzilla and friends should see an estimated worldwide opening of $230M-235M, which by the way, stomps on Aladdin‘s $213.5M global take-off last weekend, and the global beginnings of Legendary’s 2014 redux Godzilla ($196M unadjusted for inflation and currency exchange rates) and 2017’s Kong: Skull Island ($146.1M).

That said, for the first time this summer since Avengers: Endgame opened, counter-programming will finally work at the box office with Paramount/Marv Film’s Elton John biopic Rocketman fresh from its Cannes premiere hitting $25M in U.S. Canada at an estimated 3,600, $45M+worldwide, and Universal/Blumhouse’s $5M Octavia Spencer thriller Ma eyeing $20Mdomestic or far more at 2,700 theaters. Thursday previews start at 7PM for both films.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

Godzilla possible 60 to 70 weekend. Just read a review which was said good movie but 2d human character depth. 

Imo people watching this movie are wanting monsters slugging it out in cities.  human interest stories is not the focus imo, so odd thing to critique.

Weird how we might see alower opening in part due to 2014 ( which the complaint was far too much human little monster action). It surprises me all the media i see is monsters bashing it out. I would think that wouldsuggest this is very different from 14. 

I guess its wom that will be the key here.

18 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-worldwide-box-office-opening-preview-1202623781/

This production, which we hear cost $170M before P&A, will be completely dependent on overseas should it emerge into the black, and all in Godzilla and friends should see an estimated worldwide opening of $230M-235M, which by the way, stomps on Aladdin‘s $213.5M global take-off last weekend, and the global beginnings of Legendary’s 2014 redux Godzilla ($196M unadjusted for inflation and currency exchange rates) and 2017’s Kong: Skull Island ($146.1M).

That said, for the first time this summer since Avengers: Endgame opened, counter-programming will finally work at the box office with Paramount/Marv Film’s Elton John biopic Rocketman fresh from its Cannes premiere hitting $25M in U.S. Canada at an estimated 3,600, $45M+worldwide, and Universal/Blumhouse’s $5M Octavia Spencer thriller Ma eyeing $20Mdomestic or far more at 2,700 theaters. Thursday previews start at 7PM for both films.

170m budget? Wow that makes me feel MUCH better than the 200+ rumors.

Finally a positive article...

19 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

$170 mil for budget? I mean, that would be extremely good no? IF that is correct. Better than $200 mil.

Final 24 hour update for TS4 1st  day sales.

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	28.900%	19326	Aladdin (2019)
3	09.774%	6536	Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019)
4	07.323%	4897	Rocketman
6	06.003%	4014	Toy Story 4
11	02.959%	1979	Godzilla King of the Monsters -
23	00.208%	139	Toy Story 4 Opening Night Fan Event

That is a solid 1st day. But it would be a slow march until week before release when we will see another spike. I hope Disney has early reviews out for this to build buzz as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cookson said:

170m budget? Wow that makes me feel MUCH better than the 200+ rumors.

Finally a positive article...

3 minutes ago, Moose said:

$170 mil for budget? I mean, that would be extremely good no? IF that is correct. Better than $200 mil.

"we hear it's" is hardly a definitive statement.  But, yes, it would be much better than $200m.

Of course the phrase "Hollywood Accounting" is infamous for a reason, so...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Final 24 hour update for TS4 1st  day sales.

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	28.900%	19326	Aladdin (2019)
3	09.774%	6536	Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019)
4	07.323%	4897	Rocketman
6	06.003%	4014	Toy Story 4
11	02.959%	1979	Godzilla King of the Monsters -
23	00.208%	139	Toy Story 4 Opening Night Fan Event

That is a solid 1st day. But it would be a slow march until week before release when we will see another spike. I hope Disney has early reviews out for this to build buzz as well.

That's why I'm roping in JW:FK as a comp.  It had a similar sized start locally and had gangup walkup business in the final week.  Even has the same 6pm preview start.

In retrospect, the 'long tail' of JW:FK was semi-impressive.  No dips below 40 tickets sold a day locally, for instance.   So I'm curious to see how TS4 matches up against it as well as Aladdin which also had a similar time frame for pre-sales (24 instead of 23).

Should be an interesting ride. :)

EDIT:::

Not that it matters, but there was also 5 sets of tickets for the Toy Story Marathon on Fandango (yes I'm counting it locally).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

"we hear it's" is hardly a definitive statement.  But, yes, it would be much better than $200m.

Anything resembling good news is at a premium at this point. Lol

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I hear you! This was a great positive though that’ll get the fans juices flowing! Don’t ruin it! Lol

Haha no one on a certain other forum wanted to listen to Deadline when they quoted Shazam's prod cost at $100m (insisting instead that it was $80m), but I've maintained for years that Deadline's insider sources are bar none. We may never know precise budgets, but at least Deadline generally gets closer than anyone else when it comes to getting the scoop on budgets 

23 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Godzilla possible 60 to 70 weekend. Just read a review which was said good movie but 2d human character depth. 

Imo people watching this movie are wanting monsters slugging it out in cities.  human interest stories is not the focus imo, so odd thing to critique.

Weird how we might see alower opening in part due to 2014 ( which the complaint was far too much human little monster action). It surprises me all the media i see is monsters bashing it out. I would think that wouldsuggest this is very different from 14. 

I guess its wom that will be the key here.

This whole narrative is driving me nuts. Critics in general did not complain about "too much human drama too little Godzilla" in 2014. That was mainly audiences, most top critics appreciated Gareth's slowburn approach.

Having now seen the movie, many of the complaints are valid. Story and character are weak (its not a function of screen time of humans v kaiju, its about what they do with the time alloted). But as you mentioned, most GA are not seeing a movie called Godzilla King of the Monsters to see 12 Years a Slave, the human drama, while weak, is thankfully not a major draw in the first place

• Like 2

I would be very shocked if this didn't turn out as a reverse to the 2014 movie, with audiences liking it far more than critics. And, in all honesty, even though the story is weak and characters are thin, the human elements are still better than the 2014 ones imo. My problem with that movie was never the slow-burn, it was the fact that the human characters once Cranston was gone were boring, found themselves in the middle of a situation and reacting to it, rather than driving the plot in any way and on top of that the acting wasn't particularly good, with the charisma black hole that is ATJ not making up for that with his (lack) of screen presence. 

KOTM is a good time at the movies in the same vein as Skull Island. If you liked that movie, can't see how you wouldn't like this. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

This whole narrative is driving me nuts. Critics in general did not complain about "too much human drama too little Godzilla" in 2014. That was mainly audiences, most top critics appreciated Gareth's slowburn approach.

Having now seen the movie, many of the complaints are valid. Story and character are weak (its not a function of screen time of humans v kaiju, its about what they do with the time alloted). But as you mentioned, most GA are not seeing a movie called Godzilla King of the Monsters to see 12 Years a Slave, the human drama, while weak, is thankfully not a major draw in the first place

My bad i didnt clarify, yes it was audiences who didnt like less godzilla in 2014, that was poorly worded on my part. 

I was just musing about the general reaction ( so far) with current "more monster" film compared to 14s"less monster film". 

Apologies for confusion.😎

What is going on with people? I absolutely loved TS3 and it's incredible ending, but I have no interest at all meeting those lovely characters in a new adventure. 

Why can't they just for once let us live with our good memories and own ideas how things turned out for them? 

Wasn't Finding Dorie enough to hurt the greatness of Finding Nemo? 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Menor said:

If Endgame can stay in this weekend it will have been in the MT top 5 for two full months

Expecting Ma to kill it on Friday at latest. Still 58 days is quite an MT run.