grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Apparently H&S is supposed to be far ahead of MI:6 (6m) and "slightly behind" FF8 (10.4m) as of the 12th.  I never bothered with MI:6 and FF8 was before my time as a tracker.  So if those films really did have light pre-sales before ramping up in the end, I haven't seen it personally.

If I cared enough, I might check MI:6's Pulse history to get some sense of its sales pattern.

SPOILER ALERT: I don't. :lol:

So just have to see if it really was worth it or not.  At least I'm not spending a lot of time on it. 👍

On Pulse Fallout sold barely anything until release week then had a gigantic ramp up

• Thanks 1

*compiles daily data*

Yeaaah, I think I'll hold off 'till Thr for H&S.  Then come hell or high water, I'll report them whatever they are.  Just not worth reporting a daily at the moment (and the percentages barely changed today from what I reported earlier).

IF this really is similar to MI:6 (as we don't have Pulse data for FF8) there really is no point in publishing a comp that will be woefully off the mark, as it will give an inaccurate/misleading reading of things.  Even is there is an amusement factor, I reckon it ain't worth it.

• Like 8

Hmmmmm

Fandango App Monday Tues Wed Thursday   B.O.

Black Panther 35,429 36,302 39,934 65,453   $25.2m/$202m
Avengers: Infinity War 49,836 54,892 68,826 206,000   $39m/ $267.698m
Deadpool 2 23,134 28,896 41,212     $18.6m/$125.5m
SW: Solo 13,688 15,855 28,533     $14.1m/$84.42m
Jurassic World 2 9,310 12,761 23,266     $15.3m/ $148m
Antman & The Wasp  6,613 5,990 11,108     $11.5m/ $75.8m
Venom 13,602 13,818 20,867 31,569   $10m/$80.2m
Fantastic Beasts 2 8,956 14,238 21,861 31,880   $9.1m/$62.16m
Aquaman 8,502 9,671 15,063 25,201   ($4.7m)+$9m/$67.87m
Captain Marvel 33,951 37,060 49,745 64,456   $20.7m/$153.43m
Shazam! 5,083 N/A **5,975 17,143   ($3.2m)+ $5.9m/$53.5m
Avengers: End Game 53,999 62,351 75,977     $60m/$357m 
Incredibles 2 20,872 23,430 39,337     $18.6m/$182.687m
Toy Story 4 12,605 13,388 24,517     $12m/$122m

MI6   *3328 13,575 27,261   $6m/$61.236m
Rampage 705 1,508 4,109     $35.75m
Skyscraper 586 1,019 2,868 7,134   $1.95m/$24.5m
John Wick 7,867 10,932 18,211     $56m
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

So after h and s whats the next notable film down the pipe re tracking? IT?

I’ll do final numbers for several films, but the rest of my bi-weekly scheduling is for the following...

It: Chapter 2

Joker 

Maleficent 2

Frozen 2

Jumanji: Next Level

SW: TROS

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

In terms of presales and hype? Rest of year....

IT: Chapter 2

The Joker

Frozen 2

Star Wars: Episode 9

Ouch! Not much big stuff till September 6th then and it

14 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Ouch! Not much big stuff till September 6th then and it

I think the biggest release is Hobbs&Shaw and will open below 100m and apart from that there is Hollywood next weekend, no idea what else. Also it's August kinda the dead part of Summer but it's just not as obvious as the July holdovers normally make it look good, let's hope TLK can do it too this year.

• Like 1

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, sold tickets for the previews on Thursday and for Friday,
counted today ca. at 11am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 90 (total tickets sold for Thursday) / 94 (total tickets sold for Friday, 5 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): - / 145 (4 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 184 / 122 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 85 / 67 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 89 / 29 (4 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 36 / 28 (5 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 71 / 52 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 234 / 256 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): 164 / 127 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 516 (11 showtimes) / 311 (8 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 10 theaters till Monday for Thursday: 1.469 and for Friday: 1.231.

My only comps so far are Stuber which had on Monday 186 / 131 sold tickets (with showtimes in 7 theaters) and Crawl 143 / 114 (with showtimes in 9 theaters). That does not look bad for Once Upon a Time but of course it's way more presales-heavy.

Even harder to say if Hobbs & Shaw is doing ok. Overall I would also say that at the moment it doesn't have overwhelmingly good ticket sales. I counted only 3 theaters: In AMC Fresh Meadows (NY) it were (always all showtimes summed up) today 231 for the Thursday previews and 283 for Friday which looks good in comparison to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. But in AMC Lakeline (Austin) it were only 4 tickets for the Friday shows (no showtimes on Thursday so far) and in AMC Universal (LA) it were 174 for Thursday and 67 for Friday – so way behind Once Upon a Time.
But this could indeed be a film which increases rapidly in its release week.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

I’ll do final numbers for several films, but the rest of my bi-weekly scheduling is for the following...

It: Chapter 2

Joker 

Maleficent 2

Frozen 2

SW: TROS

Speaking of this list, I realized recently that there is a non-zero percent chance that I'll be tracking

Frozen 2

Jumanji 3

SW:TROS

All.  At.  The. Same. Time.

Frozen 2 and TROS are (and were) a given, IMO.  Unless Disney decides to ape the Endgame strategy and try to goose sales by creating a frenzy three plus weeks before release, I reckon TROS will go on sale sometime in mid Oct like TFA and TLJ.  But I absolutely think there will be overlap between Jumanji and Frozen.  

Sure am looking forward to tracking 150+ shows for TROS (early slate, not final), 250+ shows for Frozen (final) and 90+ shows for Jumanji 3 (mid run slate) at the same time! 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Speaking of this list, I realized recently that there is a non-zero percent chance that I'll be tracking

Frozen 2

Jumanji 3

Frozen 2 and TROS are (and were) a given, IMO.  Unless Disney decides to ape the Endgame strategy and try to goose sales by creating a frenzy three plus weeks before release, I reckon TROS will go on sale sometime in mid Oct like TFA and TLJ.  But I absolutely think there will be overlap between Jumanji and Frozen.  

Sure am looking forward to tracking 150+ shows for TROS (early slate, not final), 250+ shows for Frozen (final) and 90+ shows for Jumanji 3 (mid run slate) at the same time! 👍

TBH, Jumanji seems destined to be a movie that will barely sell anything until the week of release.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

TBH, Jumanji seems destined to be a movie that will barely sell anything until the week of release.

God, I hope so.

I know the initial weekend was a tick under 40m for the first one.  But I fully expect the sequel to hit my 70m OW/7m preview guideline given it did leg out to 400m.  If it looks like it doesn't/won't (from forecasting sites like BOP or tracking) I will be VERY glad to drop it like a hot potato. :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Wait.  That means...

surprise omg GIF

tumblr_pv0mjttRYh1uoepd8o2_400.gif

==

My plans for the rest of the year is to track non-event/hype films the week before release, regardless of when they go on sale, and get a final night numbers for comps.  Going to keep eyes on the local Cinemagics, as well as Empire 25 and Lincoln Square 13.   I will start with OUATIH tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Wait.  That means...

surprise omg GIF

tumblr_pv0mjttRYh1uoepd8o2_400.gif

I'm just happy for you that Knives Out comes out before Thanksgiving. :lol:  Otherwise we might have had the following situation occur:

captainwondyful's family:  Put away your phone, it's Thanksgiving.

captainwondyful: NO TIME FOR TURKEY! GOTTA TRACK KNIVES OUT.

captainwondyful's family: But-

captainwondyful: THIS IS FOR SCIENCE! PLUS IT'S EVANS!!!

captainwondyful's family:  Well, okay.  But hurry up, gravy's getting cold.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Frozen 2

Jumanji 3

Arent you glad you love what you do?

:stretcher:

Ill be tracking a few theatres in toronto and i get a twitch. But you doing that greater area you do?

Yieeeeeeeeee..

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, I love the likes at least. :lol:

(wait, did I say the quiet part out loud again?  crap!)

In case people couldn't tell, I was joking here.  I do enjoy tracking.

But, not gonna lie, also enjoy the likes as well.  Only human, after all. :ph34r:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Frozen 2

Jumanji 3

Get some rest Porthos. The last quarter of the year is going to be insane!

• Sad 1