grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It already has more exposure than most August releases, but this summer has been a bust for bad movies at the box office. I’m expecting 35Mish

I was hoping McCarthy could churn out another strong dramatic performance before she returns to lame schlock, would be lame if it was a dud.

9 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Shouldn’t it be a big hit?

Probably not. This one had really terrible marketing. It had a trailer a few days ago and seems like no one knew about it. It only had 118k views on the main channel and no one even posted it on the thread for the movie here. Probably having a sub-10 mil opening.

Edited by lorddemaxus

Is The Kitchen really not having any previews? Because one theater near me has Thursday previews at 7. Although to be fair, it is only just the one theater. Everything else start their tickets on Friday, at least right now.

• Astonished 1

@CoolEric258 Thursday’s not showing up at AMC Empire 25 or Lincoln Square 13. Usually if LS13 doesn’t have previews at least Empire 25. Thinking nope. 

(Cinemagic has none available; they often don’t put ups their schedule until the Tuesday before though, particularly for what they consider “non event” films. 

39 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Probably not. This one had really terrible marketing. It had a trailer a few days ago and seems like no one knew about it. It only had 118k views on the main channel and no one even posted it on the thread for the movie here. Probably having a sub-10 mil opening.

Why are they doing this? They did the same with Hell Fest last year where they didn’t market it at all. At least that one didn’t cost much, I read the budget on Scary Stories is about $40 million (although I could be wrong).

13 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Why are they doing this? They did the same with Hell Fest last year where they didn’t market it at all. At least that one didn’t cost much, I read the budget on Scary Stories is about $40 million (although I could be wrong).

Perhaps the movie is really bad? Easy to cut your losses by just dumping it.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Perhaps the movie is really bad? Easy to cut your losses by just dumping it.

Vieweranon is implying that the movie is pretty good. I think CBS films just couldn't be bothered to market it. They haven't had a film gross over 100 mil WW in 6 years.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My theater has posted the schedule for the full weekend and Hobbs & Shaw is getting 2 screens all day that become 4 late at night. Perhaps an underperformance is in the cards?

Mickey's Law is back at it again.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

The Farewell is actually getting two of the bigger auditoriums this weekend. Awkwafina > The Rock and Statham confirmed.

Awkwafina's next two projects (aside from Jumanji) are Disney productions. :thinking: 

Hobbes and Shaw

Aug 1

Scotiabank toronto

Regular

700 16/390
730 94/558
800 11/176
940 0/390
1000 2/390
1050 81/556

Yongevand dundas

VIP 
715 34/77
1030 16/77

IMAX
730 69/356
1045 15/356

Queensway 

VIP

730 52/135
1040 28/135

AVX
700 23/226
1000 21/226

Reg
700 8/176
800 9/176
940 2/176

Trying to ease back in after real life busyness. Hobbes shaw is what it is. Its a long weekend this weekend up here so be interesting to see how it carries to monday

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

My theater has posted the schedule for the full weekend and Hobbs & Shaw is getting 2 screens all day that become 4 late at night. Perhaps an underperformance is in the cards?

My theaters have both still not set...and one area theater only set Friday (as an Atom theater, I think they haven't decided what movies lose showings to Angry Birds yet)...should be interesting...'

The one area theater that set (a 14) gave H&S FOUR screens and dropped TLK to THREE screens from SEVEN screens (not a misprint - that movie held that many last weekend)...

• Like 1

No The Kitchen previews anywhere in Sacramento next week for what it's worth.

Do have:

Dora:               4pm

Scary Stories:   7pm

Art of Racing:   6pm

Brian Banks:     7pm

In fact, now that I look at the the sheer number of them is making them scattered to some degree.

Not counting the TrueIMAX one-screen theater nor the drive-in which never puts up an early schedule:

Dora:    12/20

Scary:     9/20

Racing: 10/20

Banks:    1/20  (only one on the weekend as well at the moment)

All of the above movies are hurt by the fact than none of the Cinema West joints (four in all) have previews for any of them at the moment.

Could just be the sheer number of movies driving The Kitchen away from Thr?  Though as I look into the weekend, The Kitchen is only playing at 8/20 locations (again, hurt by the 4 no shows from Cinema West at the moment), so who knows.

Starting on Wed, Bring the Soul is also soaking up the occasional showing at a few scattered locations (including the indie/art house theater - which I didn't include in any of the above lists), for what it's worth. So that's also complicating matters.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

They just updated it's getting the PLF screen so 3 all day and 5 by night. That's better.