grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe it was 2 weeks...or the theaters are losing so much money on empty seats, they just don't care (especially if Disney is getting their 65% take again:)...I know one of my locals played fast and lose with the TLJ contract near the end for the same reason...like it was okay to "steal" a showing but keep a screen...and do it on all the required screens:)...

They care if it means breaking a contract, getting a $ penalty or losing the right to show other Disney films.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1999-04-26-9904260172-story.html

Lucas and Fox have asked for unprecedented terms from theaters before allowing them to screen "Phantom Menace." Theaters will have to guarantee that the film will play for at least eight weeks in the building's largest auditorium, that trailers will be limited and that the theater will get smaller percentages of gross box office revenue in the first weeks. 

I recently read a story from a poster on reddit that said his uncle ran a theater but it was in an area that could not support 8 weeks of SWs - and the terms were killing business - so he pulled it from his theater a couple of weeks early.   He has never received another film from Fox.  Hopefully his banning didn't carry over after the buyout.

So chances are if TLK lost the largest screen or PLF it wasn't contractual they keep it for 3 weeks regardless of circumstances.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 4

BREAKING: IT tickets are now on sale. Hadn't seen this posted elsewhere, so apologies if this is old news, but Cinemark in Salt Lake has them up for sale as of this evening and I'm assuming other locales do as well. This one is going to be fun to track! 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

BREAKING: IT tickets are now on sale. Hadn't seen this posted elsewhere, so apologies if this is old news, but Cinemark in Salt Lake has them up for sale as of this evening and I'm assuming other locales do as well. This one is going to be fun to track! 😎

Not so breaking, I'm afraid, as they started popping up last night. ;)  CoolEric258 was the first to find out about it.

Not officially on sale though, I think, as there hasn't been an announcement about it yet, so it's presumably theaters uploading their initial slates ahead of said official announcement.

Shouldn't be too much longer though for the official word though. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not so breaking, I'm afraid, as they started popping up last night. ;)  CoolEric258 was the first to find out about it.

Not officially on sale though, I think, as there hasn't been an announcement about it yet, so it's presumably theaters uploading their initial slates ahead of said official announcement.

Shouldn't be too much longer though for the official word though. :)

Damnit, I thought I had a scoop! 😂 Life was easier when Pulse was still around.

Edited by A Star is Orm
typo
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Sold another 45 tickets since yesterday night. Almost nothing for 2D shows.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

AMC Empire 25(Previews Hobbs and Shaw)

Imax - 251(218)/303 (8PM),32(25)/303 (1115PM) Total: 283(243)/606 +40

Dolby - 213(214)/225 (7PM),117(104)/225 (1015PM) Total: 330(318)/450 +12

2D -48(32)/377(A13 7PM), 12(10)/309(A9 730PM), 12/309(A14 830PM), 5/158(A6 9PM), 8/144(A20 930PM), 9/262(A17 10PM), 4/377 (A13 1030PM),3/309 (A9 1045PM), 7/99(A22 11PM), 4/146(A7 1130PM) Total:112(58)/2490(1681)  +54

9/309(A14 930PM),

Overall -725(619)/3546(2731) (20.4%) +106

Update on H&S previews at AMC Empire 25. Interesting that Plex added 4 more 2d shows despite 2d shows selling like shit. Now it has 10 2d shows apart from 2 Imax and 2 Dolby shows. Overall sold 106 tickets since my update yesterday but 2d sales are atrocious(sub 5% sold).

Unless we see dramatic spike on thursday this is gonna under perform relative to tracking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 Days and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 54 627 9,100 6.89%

Total Showings Added Today: 15

Total Seats Added Today: 2,721

Total Seats Sold Today: 158

Comps

0.13x of The Lion King 3 days before release (3M)

T-2

The Lion King: 731 tickets sold that day (4,783 total tickets sold)

Adjusted Comps

0.88x of Once Upon 3 days before release (5.1M)

9.83x of Crawl 3 days before release (9.8M)

8.83x of Stuber 3 days before release (6.6M)

So good news is almost all of the comps increased from yesterday. The bad news is that the Once Upon comp, arguably the best fit, although not perfect, went down, albeit slightly. My comps are still all over the place, but I'm still not confident in anything huge right now, especially compared to what other people here are seeing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

It Chapter Two Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-37 Days and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 32 26 6,143 0.42%

Total Showings Added Today: 6

Total Seats Added Today: 1,030

Total Seats Sold Today: 4

Wow, only 4 seats got sold? This is about to flop. Mickey's Law has killed another one.

I kid, I kid. Really, nobody even knows that tickets are on sale in a couple theaters. I'm probably gonna stop publicly showing these results until we get an official announcement, because it is going to be very very slow and very very uninteresting for the time being.

• Like 2

Lincoln Square 13
August 1, 2019
Movie 7/29 7/30 Total % Sold Showings
Hobbs & Shaw 335 362 1454 24.89 27 5

Comps (Tuesday of Final Week):

Rocketman: 112% [Est: 1.96M]

MIB3: 64.8% [Est: 2.01M]

(I don't have JW3 for today, but do for the rest of the week)

Southern Maine Cinemagic
August 1, 2019
Movie 7/29 7/30 Total % Sold Showings
Hobbs & Shaw 11 13 1423 0.91% 2 9
August 8, 2019
Movie   7/30 Total % Sold Showings
Dora   0 1230 0 0 6
Scary Stories   0 392 0 0 4

Comps (Tuesday of Final Week):

Rocketman: 185% [Est 3.25]

MIB3: 68.4% [Est 2.12M]

So, I would like JW3, since I feel like that will comp out higher, and is a better comp.  That said.  Rock's Twitter Gonna be LIT this weekend.  

:sparta:

Bookkeeping:

- Next Weekend LS13 is showing it's not having Previews for Dora or Scary Stories.  Empire 25 is; so if @keysersoze123 isn't handling that, I will grab those Final Comp numbers.

- Locally, the Cinemagic IMAX hasn't posted its tickets for next week, so I suspect those Dora and Scary Stories will go up next Tuesday.  

- It Chapter 2 is still not showing up for me; so I think I'm going to wait for just the "official" Day 1

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Hobbs & Shaw Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-2 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

8.14%

Total Showings Added Today:       41 (12 at non-reserved seating theaters)

Total Seats Added Today:          4620

Total Seats Sold Today:               260

Apparently I don't have ANY good comps for this film given its sale pattern.  Might throw in some others at the last moment, or I might change them entirely after thinking about it some more. But here are four recent comps.  DON'T TAKE MUCH (if anything) FROM THESE:

Comps (probably lol - use at own risk)

0.5826x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 2 days before release.       [3.32m]

0.6428x as many tickets sold as John Wick 3 2 days before release.                [3.79m]

0.5400x as many tickets sold as Aladdin 2 days before release.                      [3.78m]

0.6353x as many tickets sold as King of the Monsters 2 days before release.  [4.00m]

0.1523x as many tickets sold as The Lion King 2 days before release.             [3.50m]

T-2:

Pika       300 seats sold [0 sellouts/101 shows |  7619/9404 seats    | 1785 seats sold |  18.98% sold]

Wick 3   271 seats sold [0 sellouts/76 shows   |  8521/10139 seats  | 1618 seats sold |  15.96% sold]

Aladdin  298 seats sold [0 sellouts/116 shows | 11970/13896 seats | 1926 seats sold |  13.86% sold]

KotM     207 seats sold [0 sellouts/120 shows | 13471/15108 seats | 1637 seats sold |  10.84% sold]

TLK       884 seats sold  [1 sellout/263 shows | 18651/25481 seats  | 6830 seats sold |  26.80% sold]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

I won't say Hobbs & Shaw is DOA quite yet, as the comps have been inching up the last few days.

On the other hand... the comps have been inching up.

22 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It actually had what I would call a jump today.  Went from low threes to high threes.

The biggest tell though is the showtimes.  41 got added today.  Might be some more tomorrow as well, as I'm not sure all theaters are done yet.  Unless there are some cancellations, it'll have more showtimes (118) than Aladdin (117) and Pika Pika (112) and just under KotM (129).

No snark, I was actually a little bit encouraged.  The big problem with H&S is the YUUUUUUUUGE hole it has to climb out of.  But it certainly has the showtimes to do it now.

Just have to see if it happens or not.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The big problem with H&S is the YUUUUUUUUGE hole it has to climb out of.  But it certainly has the showtimes to do it now.

Just have to see if it happens or not.

I have a feeling that reviews will be as bad as Men in Black International so I think it probably won't climb out of that hole. If reviews do end up being bad, there won't be any boost after the reviews come out right?

28 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I have a feeling that reviews will be as bad as Men in Black International so I think it probably won't climb out of that hole. If reviews do end up being bad, there won't be any boost after the reviews come out right?

Depends on how bad, I think.  People watch this for the action, right?  But even that isn't a cure-all as KotM got knee-capped when its reviews came out.

But if this settles in the low 50s to high 40s, it might be good enough.  Also might depend on what the reviews say. Again to point to KotM (apologies again to all Kaiju fans), it was also what those reviews said, IMO, that helped depress the turnout.

If H&S is rated rotten but still a fun popcorn flick (if one that doesn't make a lick of sense) that might not matter as much as one that calls it a snooze fest with an incoherent plot and bad, uninteresting, action sequences.

I guess I give a tiny bit more credit to folks who check out Rotten Tomatoes than some do around here.  Sure the top number matters.  But so to does the nature of the rottens.  That's why, again IMO, Aladdin didn't suffer one whit from mixed reviews while TLK did have some of its wind taken out of its sails.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Porthos said:

H&S is rated rotten but still a fun popcorn flick (if one that doesn't make a lick of sense) that might not matter as much as one that calls it a snooze fest with an incoherent plot and bad, uninteresting, action sequences.

I feel like this is what the general consensus will be like. I'm already hearing comments from a few critics (some are semi-professional critics on letterboxd) that the charisma between The Rock and Statham wears off in the first few minutes and the action sequences get repetitive. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

The recent F&F movies have all had decent reviews. If this end up firmly in the rotten side of the equation, it'll keep people away. 

This is the RT scores for the last fee movies. The last rotten one was the fourth one, but the franchise was in such a different place at that time. 

F5 - 77%

F6 - 70%

F7 - 81%

F8 - 67%

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, a2k said:

50 ow would be just 2x Skyscraper. This movie has so much going for it in comparison that it stupefies me why it shouldn't do much much more!

I mean it has flying cars and overly muscular dudes sweating and yelling a lot

BUTT

It has no Vin Diesel saying "Family".

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2