grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Salt Lake City 9/14 update for next weekend, Ad Astra v Downton Abbey. Sugarhouse Cinemark luxury theater, 5 showtimes each, Astra in the big auditorium.

Preview night

Ad Astra 2

Granthams 57

Friday

Astra 10

D.A. 130

Saturday

Astra 6

D.A. 110

Total

Astra 18 (easiest computation this year)

D.A. 297

Game, set, and match to the aristocracy. (Sunday is also selling well except for the 9:30 show, which is of course too late to be out anyway. 😴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TLK said:

Downton presales are huge and it will be frontloaded. Is there even a recent movie that we can compare it to ?

The only other tv-to-film I can think of that really broke out was that first Sex in the City movie, but that was a while ago. I think DA has a bigger demo than is widely assumed... I know a lot of under-30's who are actually hyped for this... but I can't imagine it's going to hold strong past the first few weeks. It'll make a lot before then though.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-33 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 21 57 5,753 0.99%

Total Seats Sold Today: 11

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Charlie's Angels Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-61 and Counting

TOTALS 0 20 6 6,584 0.09%

Total Seats Sold Today: 0

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Sub 1.9 multi would be really exciting, just for the historical novelty. I bet the target age demographics will prevent that though.

I feel like the niche appeal of the source material could make that happen. I don’t imagine that the film will have much appeal beyond the core fanbase.

4 hours ago, TLK said:

Downton presales are huge and it will be frontloaded. Is there even a recent movie that we can compare it to ?

4 hours ago, A Star is Orm said:

The only other tv-to-film I can think of that really broke out was that first Sex in the City movie, but that was a while ago. I think DA has a bigger demo than is widely assumed... I know a lot of under-30's who are actually hyped for this... but I can't imagine it's going to hold strong past the first few weeks. It'll make a lot before then though.

The Entourage movie actually seems like a decent comparison too.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Downton Abbey Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster Promenade 24:

2D:

7 PM – 49/92(+1)

10 PM – 3/92(+2)

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

Dolby:

7 PM – 65/210

Total from 8 theaters(14 showings): 229(+19)/1857(12.3%)

Adjusted Hustlers comp: 4.46M

Pretty slow pace right now, but Hustlers sold 18 at the same point of presales. I don’t expect Downton Abbey to continue beating Hustlers though.

Downton Abbey Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster Promenade 24:

2D:

7 PM – 53/92(+4)

10 PM – 3/92

AMC Highlands Ranch 24:

Dolby:

7 PM – 71/210(+6)

Total from 8 theaters(14 showings): 256(+27)/1857(13.8%)

Adjusted Hustlers comp: 4.13M

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Box Office Trivia

Since 1980 (not including 2019), 9 films have won the box office crown (domestically) for that year by at least 50% over the next nearest film. What are the those 9 films? Answers in the spoiler box.

Spoiler

1980 - The Empire Strikes Back 

1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark 

1982 - E.T

1983 - Return of the Jedi 

1993 - Jurassic Park 

1997 - Titanic 

2006 - POTC: Dead Man's Chest 

2008 - The Dark Knight 
2009 - Avatar 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Box Office Trivia

Since 1980 (not including 2019), 9 films have won the box office crown (domestically) for that year by at least 50% over the next nearest film. What are the those 9 films? Answers in the spoiler box.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Hmm, seems like ROTJ, ET, JP, Titanic, should be very likely. Easily Avatar. Maybe Spider-Man. TFA amusingly misses. TLJ misses thanks to BatB. Maybe TDK? ID?  Think TA got there, that should be my 8th guess. Scratch that, TDKr was a bit too high. Uhhhh, TPM? Maybe? And then I’ll go for a PotC movie.

After checking:  

Spoiler

I interpreted “since 1980” as 1981 and onward. Otherwise ESB is a gimme, so I’m just going to count that one. “Some PotC movie” was a good choice, forgot which was highest grossing. Raiders is the one I totally blanked on.

I enjoyed that but it felt like more of a classic conversation sort of post? Or maybe there’s like, a trivia thread? I dunno.

Edited by Thanos Legion

21 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I feel like the niche appeal of the source material could make that happen. I don’t imagine that the film will have much appeal beyond the core fanbase.

Don't forget the unfortunate husband's who will be tagging along. Hypothetically of course.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-32 and Counting

TOTALS 0 21 61 5,753 1.06%

Total Seats Sold Today: 4

• Thanks 4

Charlie's Angels Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-60 and Counting

TOTALS 0 20 6 6,584 0.09%

Total Seats Sold Today: 0

• Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If Downtown Abbey spin off movie can get 30m opening, there is no doubt a well made Game of throne movie can trigger 100m right?

If they aired it before S8 came out, sure :ph34r:    

Let’s see how the spinoffs do.

9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

If they aired it before S8 came out, sure :ph34r:    

Let’s see how the spinoffs do.

I always see TV spin off movies as a way to "save" cinema, with now TVs shows at their peak, a spin off movie with original cast may bring audience from the house to cinema

Look at Japan, their long running Conan, Dragon Ball, Digimon , oNE Piece, are all famous TV series and all of which are very successful in their theatrical run and often made up significant portion of yearly top 10 rank.

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I always see TV spin off movies as a way to "save" cinema, with now TVs shows at their peak, a spin off movie with original cast may bring audience from the house to cinema

Look at Japan, their long running Conan, Dragon Ball, Digimon , oNE Piece, are all famous TV series and all of which are very successful in their theatrical run and often made up significant portion of yearly top 10 rank.

I mean this lovingly, but Japan are a bunch of weirdos as far as cinemagoing habits 😛      

There might be some interesting TV/movie integration that happens on D+. Won’t be quite the same as what you’re talking about, but if it’s successful I could imagine more movies based on TV in the future.

• Like 1