grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

5 hours ago, TMP said:

What are you talking about, Joker had crazy good marketing

Not really (IMO). If it wasnt for the great reception on the festival circut and the "staged" controversy that has caused it to be everywhere I dont know that youd be wondering. WB themselves havent done the best - waiting till the last minute for tickets was also an odd move that didnt pay off for them. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Not really (IMO). If it wasnt for the great reception on the festival circut and the "staged" controversy that has caused it to be everywhere I dont know that youd be wondering. WB themselves havent done the best - waiting till the last minute for tickets was also an odd move that didnt pay off for them. 

You are giving examples of good marketing though. Deciding to market it like an awards film is marketing, the controversy is marketing. On the other hand, the time they decide to open tickets for sale isn't marketing.

48 minutes ago, narniadis said:

The trailer views were insanely high and it got over a million likes on its first trailer? The trailers were also incredibly well cut and edited? This is the one movie this whole year that WB marketed properly

Obviously Im in the minority then 🤷‍♂️ it does happen lol. If it wasnt for this board and my own interest I wouldnt even know the film was coming out, havent seen a trailer anywhere except my searches on YouTube. It has just felt like a really quiet (for the type of film) marketing spree until the last 2 weeks or so with the festival circut now in action. 

And as with everything surrounding the film - the very fact that its a form of CBM probably influences our personal views on what is or isnt good. Need to personally chalk it higher up on the award side then from a marketing stand-point. 

Don't know if this was up previously, but a couple theaters around me have Terminator showtimes up, but not for sale. Previews start at 7PM (also just realized it's on Halloween too. Guess we might need to take that into account when tracking)

• Thanks 3

Honestly if Joker puts up an $80-90M opening instead of one well over $100M I'd say the appeal might've been overestimated. Either way it's looking at a fantastic opening incoming.

1 hour ago, Eric! said:

Don't know if this was up previously, but a couple theaters around me have Terminator showtimes up, but not for sale. Previews start at 7PM (also just realized it's on Halloween too. Guess we might need to take that into account when tracking)

Same here. Maybe they want to build buzz? I keep forgetting this movie's even coming out (whether that's a commentary on the studio's faith in the movie or goes to show how much the Terminator brand has been devalued remains to be seen).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Same here. Maybe they want to build buzz? I keep forgetting this movie's even coming out (whether that's a commentary on the studio's faith in the movie or goes to show how much the Terminator brand has been devalued remains to be seen).

Maybe Paramount should have said yes to The Irishman instead of doing Gemini Man and/or Dark Fate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, they would have lost money with either option, but at least the former is a winner in the quality department.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

@Porthos

We need more tracking on her EVIL HIGHNESS MALEFICENT. I have a feeling she could do great business. 2 weeks pre-Halloween 

h89C01F80

tumblr_n65rohQ7f91rbijdfo2_500.gif

Did a check last week and...

*checks post*

Well derp.  I made comps for T-28, not T-21. :kitschjob:

That's what I get for trying to do comps first thing in the morning when I'm not awake. :lol: 

Just did a quick check, gimme five/ten to write up a post with actually accurate numbers. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

J – 2.9m

AF – 43k

GM – 138k

ZL2 – 109k

M2 – 282k

Fairytale: TS4 was a 3m three days before. 12M previews and $120M opening.

Cautionary Tale: Dunkirk had a 2.7m one day before opening. 5.5M previews and $50M opening.

TS4 though was a family film with a x10.076 OW multi and Joker seems frontloaded based on everyone's sales data.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Disbelief 1

Alright, did a quick check around Sacramento, and it now stands at 231 tickets sold, which is 32 tickets more than Thr morning.  That's eight tickets a day.  Not exactly great, though it is in the dead-ish zone for this kind of film.

Right now (t-18 using this morning's count as last night's numbers as I reckon it's hardly done any sales this morning) it stands at:

56.76% of Pika Pika (3.24m)

38.18% of Aladdin (2.67m)

31.05% of It 2 (3.26m)

And a lol comp of 114.36% of H&S (6.63m)

That sounds much more in line with what is going down on in Philly.

Not that I expect this to be the type of film to be pre-sale heavy, even if it is strong in the female demographic.  Just have to see if it picks up or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Lollifroll said:

Fairytale: TS4 was a 3m three days before. 12M previews and $120M opening.

Cautionary Tale: Dunkirk had a 2.7m one day before opening. 5.5M previews and $50M opening.

TS4 though was a family film with a x10.076 OW multi and Joker seems frontloaded based on everyone's sales data.

Cannot compare 3.5 days and 1 day numbers. Final week ramp is most significant. I am sure this will be closer to 120m than 50m.