grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

19 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Anyone have a comp to Captain Marvel? That one had a long pre-sale period if I recall. 

Here ya go

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

I know I said I wasn't going to do a full update after "only" 5+ hours of sales, but....

The Rise of Skywalker Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-59 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

41.56%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Seats Sold in Five+ Hours

"Day One" Adjusted Comps #1 

%

Sold "Day One"

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

: Sold

Comp

CM

0/63

7206/8704

17.21%

109.26m

"DAY ONE" NOTE: The numbers cited here are after 1 day and 6 hours or so for Captain Marvel, and 5+ hours for TROS.

• Like 1

So decided to track a few theaters for SW. I don't have comparisons, though I'll try to at least form some over the coming months. Anecdotally, the sales are definitely below Endgame, but in the theaters I have tracked there is very strong demand into the weekend. Note that this is not a large sample, but I simply don't have the time to track as many theaters as I have in the past for SW movies. Hopefully I can build out some comps and see if this is any sort of useful, even from a small sample.

Day Seats Sold Total Seats Avg, Ticket Price Gross % of Seats Sold
Thursday 1444 2808 $16.94 $25,788.50 51.42%
Friday 1460 5117 $14.62 $22,393.25 28.53%
Saturday 1202 5117 $14.62 $17,334.50 23.49%
Sunday 356 4895 $14.53 $5,153.25 7.27%
Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Terminator dark fate oct 31
Toronto ontario canada 
Taken oct 22 2019

Yonge Dundas

VIP

730 5 /76
1030 2/76

4DX
700 10/78
1000 3/78

Scotia place
IMAX
730 44/416
1030 4/416

Yonge eglington
VIP
700 5/91
1000 0/134

AVX

730/0/349
1030 0/391

Eglington town
IMAX
700 1/335
1000 6/335

Don Mills
VIP
700 10/114
1000 0/114

Yorkdale

AVX
700 0/349
1000 2/349

Queensway
IMAX
700 11/377 
1015 0/377
97/4455

46 more sales. Picking up a tiny bit more but still pretty quiet.

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Honestly I could have added more theaters to the sample if I was just looking at preview night, but I do have a sneaking suspicion this will have a slightly leggier preview to OW multi than past SW for a variety of reasons (mainly the date/calendar config compared to TFA and TLJ, and less of a rush factor from a portion of both the hardcore and causal fan-bases) so I wanted to get a sense of that. Pretty impressive ratio of the preview gross to Saturday of the theaters I tracked IMO.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

AMC has put a captcha when I tried to go to a showtime. if that is permanent that will be the end of my tracking them 😞 It was fun while it lasted.

Always knew the ticket henchmen would try to get you like they got akvalley (RIP).

• Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

AMC has put a captcha when I tried to go to a showtime. if that is permanent that will be the end of my tracking them 😞 It was fun while it lasted. I will check once the dust settles down again for SW9 and if it still persists we have only conventional way of tracking minus Cinemark.

What are the showtimes you're seeing the captcha at? I've clicked on a few and haven't seen one. 

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Inland Empire Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-59 Days

Sellouts

Showings

Seats Sold

Total Seats

Seats Left

Perct Sold

TOTALS

18.21%

Total Seats Sold After 6-7.5 Hours: 8770

===

Obviously by far, it's the absolute best Day 1 of anything I've tracked for the region. This number puts it slightly ahead of Joker at the stop of tracking. As I mentioned before, the Ontario Palace has no IMAX shows right now so that's costing it a few hundred seats in the region. Nonetheless, this is off to a mighty start.

Edited by FlashMaster659
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 2

42 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@FlashMaster659 do you track Arclight. At hollywood the biggest screen is almost 1000 tickets is almost sold out. That plus it has so man shows that over 10-12K tickets are available in one theater. Probably will sellout all of them. Average ticket price will be over 20 bucks.

Arclight isn't in the Inland Empire. Sounds like some crazy data though.

48 minutes ago, Menor said:

What are the showtimes you're seeing the captcha at? I've clicked on a few and haven't seen one. 

It happens only if I directly access a showtime url like I do using a script. Then its hitting a captcha. . Good news is now I am not seeing it. Trying previews run now. Fingers crossed I get data for majority of the shows.

• Like 3

AMC - 187398/722656(4275 shows)

ok 1st successful run for AMC I got data for 4275 out of 4313 shows. That is a good sample set. Let me check for OD as well. it has good sales into the weekend at this point. I will also refresh to see any new shows added.

Also I see Empire 25 has non reserved 2d shows. That is the 1st I have seen for the theater. My data is just for reserved screens. As I said earlier, I hope to get more data by end of weekend around region split and PLF share.

Edit: So how big is this number. Its 40% ahead of Joker previews on Thursday night. I will update end of day to see where its gonna end. But I am optimistic about 1M+ sales at just AMC for just previews. Early guess is at least 50m in previews. I would like the show time to double before have greater perspective on the number.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Astonished 6

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I hope no one here seriously expects Endgame OW? It'll be extremely front-loaded. Don't forget about those headlines "Solo surpassed Black Panther pre-sales" and stuff like that.

My oh my:

https://www.slashfilm.com/solo-a-star-wars-story-ticket-sales/

The ticket presales for Solo: A Star Wars Story show why the box office tracking for the spin-off is projecting a record-setting Memorial Day weekend with a possible haul of $170 million.

Considering that:

https://ew.com/movies/2018/01/31/black-panther-superhero-presale-record/

I would imagine that not only the pre-sales/total are much heavier on the Star Wars franchise, but that they are first 24 hours frontloaded as well yes.

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone will predict Endgame OW. Best case scenario is just squeaking past IW for 2nd biggest OW. 1st this is December and Christmas is on its 1st Wednesday. I am 100% sure this will have better multi than Endgame just because of release date. SW8 apart from being divisive also had bad release date where Christmas Eve fell on its 2nd weekend making its drop even worse. This won’t have that issue.

Solo is not a good comparison to this movie. This has more in PS than Solo had by its release. Only comparisons for this movie are SW7/8 and they are part of the same saga and release dates. You could compare overall PS with Endgame but they are still different release dates. We will get report from Fandango and others soon on overall ticket sales. May be as soon as tomorrow.

• Like 6