grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I talked about this stuff with @Spidey Freak yesterday, where obviously this stuff is never perfect, but I feel like Fandango's list is a good indicator of what people are feeling, and what they're excited for. And, at least for last year, you can see where the discrepancy in these lists come from, in both placement and rankings. Glass got hit hard by bad reviews, and Dumbo was boring as sin to kids. Lion King had an empty August to make its money, which helped it jump over the other movies ahead of it, while Star Wars had December to boost its legs (though granted it didn't even have a subtitle yet, but I digress).

Oh yeah, also from Fandango

Most Anticipated Actress:

1. Gal Gadot  (“Wonder Woman 1984”)
  2. Scarlett Johansson (“Black Widow”)
  3. Emily Blunt (“A Quiet Place 2,” “Jungle Cruise”)
  4. Margot Robbie (“Birds of Prey,” “Barbie”)
  5. Zendaya (“Dune”)

Most Anticipated Actor:

1. Chris Pine (“Wonder Woman 1984”)
  2. Paul Rudd (“Ghostbusters: Afterlife”)
  3. Ryan Reynolds (“Free Guy”)
  4. Daniel Craig (“No Time to Die”)
  5. Robert Downey Jr. (“Dolittle”)

Most Anticipated Villain:

1. Kristen Wiig as Cheetah (“Wonder Woman 1984”)
  2. Rami Malek as Safin (“No Time to Die”)
  3. Ewan McGregor as Black Mask (“Birds of Prey”)
  4. Jim Carrey as Dr. Ivo Robotnik (“Sonic the Hedgehog”)
  5. Charlize Theron as Cipher (“Fast & Furious 9”)

Most Anticipated Family Film:

1. “Mulan”
  2. Pixar’s “Soul”
  3. “Sonic the Hedgehog”
  4. “Dolittle”
  5. “Jungle Cruise”

Most Anticipated Horror Film:

1. “A Quiet Place 2”
  2. “Halloween Kills”
  3. “The Invisible Man”
  4. “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It”
  5. “The Grudge”

Most Anticipated Live-Action Comedy:

1. “Ghostbusters: Afterlife”
  2. “Bill and Ted Face the Music”
  3. “Bad Boys For Life”
  4. “Legally Blonde 3”
  5. “The Lovebirds”

Judging the people who didn't put Timmy in for Most Anticipated Actor by the by

1 minute ago, Eric Laurence said:

I talked about this stuff with @Spidey Freak yesterday, where obviously this stuff is never perfect, but I feel like Fandango's list is a good indicator of what people are feeling, and what they're excited for. And, at least for last year, you can see where the discrepancy in these lists come from, in both placement and rankings. Glass got hit hard by bad reviews, and Dumbo was boring as sin to kids. Lion King had an empty August to make its money, which helped it jump over the other movies ahead of it, while Star Wars had December to boost its legs (though granted it didn't even have a subtitle yet, but I digress).

TLK was in 2018 clearly seen as a top 3 contender for 2019 by most of the BOM members not because of the empty august but because of it being the most popular animation movie and the clear intrest in disney remakes

I have a question about Top Gun 2. Could we expect it to be a box office hit after we see no position in Fandnago's list for it? I couldn't remember the last time a A-level military Hollywood movie earned huge money, maybe American Sniper? But can we expect TG2 to be another AS because I'm not sure if the former could bring the same feeling to audience. 

9 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

I have a question about Top Gun 2. Could we expect it to be a box office hit after we see no position in Fandnago's list for it? I couldn't remember the last time a A-level military Hollywood movie earned huge money, maybe American Sniper? But can we expect TG2 to be another AS because I'm not sure if the former could bring the same feeling to audience. 

I think it’s being fairly overpredicted across the board. Something like this would be perfect for Father’s Day. It should do better than 100 mil total but more than 150 would definitely be an overperformance

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

I think it’s being fairly overpredicted across the board. Something like this would be perfect for Father’s Day. It should do better than 100 mil total but more than 150 would definitely be an overperformance

THX. The first movie came out more than 30 years ago and became a phenomenal performance in box office. I was wondering if it could be a hit driven by something like nostalgia because I don't really know how US audience feel about Top Gun.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

THX. The first movie came out more than 30 years ago and became a phenomenal performance in box office. I was wondering if it could be a hit driven by something like nostalgia because I don't really know how US audience feel about Top Gun.

I more or less agree that it will be nostalgia driven, but that only takes you so far. Outside of the MI franchise, paramount has struggled mightily to gain much of anything. They need to be on their A game to crack into other audience demos. Most under 20 years old aren’t going to care about this

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

THe intro to Top Gun is probably in the top 2 or 3 intros in cinematic history. THe plot is indeed paper thin and the movie is mainly sold on eye candy and an awesome soundtrack.

I think this movie will do well just because people still like jets and people really love that Top Gun music. 

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Fandango just released their most anticipated of 2020 poll results

Most Anticipated Movie:

“Wonder Woman 1984”

“Black Widow”

Marvel’s “Eternals”

“Mulan”

“No Time to Die”

“A Quiet Place 2”

“Birds of Prey”

“In the Heights”

Pixar’s “Soul”

“Fast & Furious 9”

In the Heights popping up on the list at all bodes well for it

Onward completely missing out (including the family list) is pretty bad for it.  It may end up being another TGD to Soul’s IO.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Panda said:

In the Heights popping up on the list at all bodes well for it

Onward completely missing out (including the family list) is pretty bad for it.  It may end up being another TGD to Soul’s IO.

As its been said before, these lists don't usually list many animated films but considering how close it is to the movie's release date, I would say its a bit concerning. I would have expected Onward to be in here instead of Soul but Onward doesn't have very good trailer views though.

I'm really hoping In the Heights becomes a breakout film next year too. 

4 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

THe intro to Top Gun is probably in the top 2 or 3 intros in cinematic history. THe plot is indeed paper thin and the movie is mainly sold on eye candy and an awesome soundtrack.

I think this movie will do well just because people still like jets and people really love that Top Gun music. 

The opening with the ships launching off the carrier with danger zone playing floored me first time i watched it. Every now and again ill watch just the opening its just so awesome.

Dolittle Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-20 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 24 30 5,480 0.55%

Total Seats Sold Today: 1

Comp

0.294x of Maleficent (676K)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1