grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dolittle feels like a dump. It honestly reminds of Pan, another delayed big-budget reimagining of a famous story headlined by a comic book movie superstar (Jackman/RDJ), more than anything else.

Absolutely a dump. The movie doesn't even seem to be getting a second trailer. The only marketing I've seen for it after the first trailer was RDJ and a gorilla on Amazon packaging.

Also seems like a underwhelming start to what will probably be underwhelming year for Universal (like last year).

Edited by lorddemaxus

Does anyone know when BOP tickets go on sale?

I’d like to track that films first 24 hours and then do my 2 weeks out tracking I did for Frozen 2. But I’m afraid I’m going to miss it’s first day of sales :ph34r:

The Grudge Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 26 122 3,882

3.14%

Total Seats Sold Today: 61

Comp

0.787x of Crawl 1 day before release (787K)

0.434x of Scary Stories (1.01M)

1.525x of 47 Meters Down (787K)

0.051x of It: Chapter Two (536K)

0.659x of Doctor Sleep (989K)

2.068x of Black Christmas (475K)

Feel like O/U 10M is about right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Dolittle Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-15 and Counting

TOTALS 0 26 34 5,160 0.66%

Total Shows Added Today: 1

Total Seats LOST Today: 406

Total Seats Sold Today: 1

Comp

0.293x of Maleficent 15 days before release (674K)

0.055x of Frozen II 15 days before release (465K)

Yeah, I think I'll drop Frozen starting tomorrow. It's clear both movies are going in very different directions. And as for the seat loss, one theater downgraded the movie to a smaller auditorium. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

19 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Absolutely a dump. The movie doesn't even seem to be getting a second trailer. The only marketing I've seen for it after the first trailer was RDJ and a gorilla on Amazon packaging.

Also seems like a underwhelming start to what will probably be underwhelming year for Universal (like last year).

The second trailer for Dolittle is playing in theaters only (for now).

Happy New Year to all the members :).

The Grudge, counted today at 10am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 111 (total tickets sold for Thursday) / 104 (total tickets sold for Friday, 6 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 50 / 44 (6 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 20 / 3 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 38 /12 (5 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 18 / 0 (5 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): showtimes): 4 / 7 (5 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 17 / 8 (5 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 79 / 89 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): 33 / 19 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 105 / 45 (11 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 10 theaters till today for Thursday: 475 and for Friday: 331.

Comps: Scary Stories had at that time on Thursday 1.096/754 sold tickets, Ready Or Not 382 for Friday (with previews already on Tuesday) and Countdown 248/190. Would mean something between ca. 9M and ca. 16M (best case).
At the moment (so 4 hours later) it has e.g. in NY 130/123 sold tickets and in Boston (Assembly Row) 69/55 sold tickets. Not too bad.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I haven't looked at tracking but I think Dolittle could break 100 mil. Still in the red with that budget, but not horrible. You guys allow internet hubbub to affect your judgement. Internet isn't the real world. I could be wrong though. Maybe it will tank badly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

I haven't looked at tracking but I think Dolittle could break 100 mil. Still in the red with that budget, but not horrible. You guys allow internet hubbub to affect your judgement. Internet isn't the real world. I could be wrong though. Maybe it will tank badly. 

I hear enough chatter from non regular movie people to give me pause on a total bomb but it would have to be Jumanji 2.0 performance wise.

1 hour ago, narniadis said:

I hear enough chatter from non regular movie people to give me pause on a total bomb but it would have to be Jumanji 2.0 performance wise.

One thing it does have going for it is that even though it's a remake, it looks nothing like the previous editions and from the trailer, seems to have nothing story-wise in common.  It seems fresh and fun.

Whether that sells, I don't know...it got me in for discount tickets for my 2 kids who wanted it...and I'm excited...b/c it seems like I won't be rewatching the exact same kid plot again, and again...and RDJ is one of my favorite actors..,always has been, and always probably will be:)...

• Like 1

The Grudge Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report Final Count

TOTALS 0 26 542 3,882 13.96%

Total Seats Sold Today: 420

Comp

1.263x of Crawl (1.26M)

0.833x of Scary Stories (1.94M)

2.794x of 47 Meters Down (1.44M)

0.156x of It: Chapter Two (1.64M)

2.710x of Countdown (1.4M)

1.376x of Doctor Sleep (2.06M)

3.638x of Black Christmas (837K)

Really great jump. We'll see if it's just overperforming, but hopefully this leads to something positive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I think the Internet hubbub is the only reason why some people are even remotely optimistic about this movie, RDJ is like 95% the reason why people give the trailer a watch on youtube or even care about the movie poster or something and his fanbase is over represented on the internet and social media.