grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I dont remember tracking it. But I tracked cats and even that sold 12K tickets for previews. Turning looks like closing below that. 

Yikes. Wonder if Gretel & Hansel will be another step down from that? Horrors might be pretty ugly for you until The Invisible Man.

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Smaller cities may not have reserved seating. Can you look at some of the biggest plexes in big cities for a start. 

Few I can think off are
Regal Union Square/Regal E-Walk (NYC)

Regal Hacienda 21(Dublin near SF)

Regal LA/Edwards (LA)

Regals have a solid amount of reserved seating I think. My scraper was getting a good amount of data before I was IP blocked. Cineplex is the issue I guess.

Edited by Menor

Horror, like every other genre, has always had its ups and downs (the 2000s was an especially rough era for the most part). The string of hits we saw throughout the 2010s show that people will show up when the ingredients are there (though you can say that about any movie genre these days as the gulf between the hits and everything else has only gotten bigger all around, really). The flops we've seen/are about to see recently clearly didn't.

17 minutes ago, Menor said:

Regals have a solid amount of reserved seating I think. My scraper was getting a good amount of data before I was IP blocked. Cineplex is the issue I guess.

I was just going to guess the chain giving people problems is Cineplex. They're really slow getting reserved seating into a lot of theatres. My theatre only has reserved seating in ONE auditorium, the premium one (UltraAVX).

The Gentlemen Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 22 110 3,830 2.87%

Total Shows Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 116

Total Seats Sold Today: 55

Comp

0.547x of Angel Has Fallen (821K)

0.431x of Ad Astra (647K)

0.531x of Rambo (691K)

0.594x of Doctor Sleep (892K)

1.375x of Midway (1.27M)

0.636x of Ford v Ferrari (1.33M)

0.307x of Knives Out (510K)

0.213x of 1917 (691K)

Actually pretty solid jump today, though Keyser's data does make me pause.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The Turning Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 21 51 3,519 1.45%

Total Shows Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 192

Total Seats Sold Today: 28

Comp

0.329x of Crawl (329K)

0.181x of Scary Stories (423K)

0.637x of 47 Meters Down (329K)

0.425x of Ready or Not (310K)

1.821x of Countdown (938K)

0.864x of Black Christmas (199K)

0.418x of The Grudge (752K)

0.567x of Underwater (283K)

This also saw jumps, but...still not great numbers. We'll see how tomorrow shapes up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 1/21/2020 at 10:04 PM, Nova said:

My theater must have put up showtimes for the new releases either late last night or early this morning. So far 2 showtimes for each movie with The Gentlemen snagging a large screen and the other two getting pushed to smaller screens. 

The Gentlemen: 11 total 

The Turning: 0 💀

The Last Full Measure: 0 

*Given that these just went up within the last day, I’m interested to see what increases if any these movies will have. I still think The Gentlemen can pull a surprise...nothing crazy but maybe a low to mid teens OW which would be solid but I think the other two are DOA. 

The Gentlemen: 11 tickets 

The Turning: 9 tickets 

The Last Full Measure: 0 tickets (I wonder if this one will manage to not sell a single ticket for Thursday night here) 

• Like 1

Edit: Now, for the first time today, SF works so I do it again:

The Turning, counted today at 10am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 29 (total tickets sold for Thursday) / 36 (total tickets sold for Friday, 7 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 18 / 15 (5 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 12 / 20 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 6 / 6 (4 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 4 / 8 (8 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): showtimes): 13 / 8 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 10 / 7 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 65 / 53 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): 14 / 11 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 68 / 55 (5 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 10 theaters till today for Thursday: 239 and for Friday: 219.

Comps: The Grudge had on Thursday 475/331 sold tickets, Scary Stories 1.096/754, Crawl 417/334 and Countdown had 248/190 (had no showtimes in NY).
I guess its walk ups will decide if it reaches 10M OW.

The Gentlemen, counted today at 10am EST:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 52 (total tickets sold for Thursday) / 64 (total tickets sold for Friday, 5 showtimes)
Boston (AMC Assembly Row 12): 51 / 63 (5 showtimes)
Boston (Boston Common 19): 38 / 44 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 13 / 12 (8 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 15 / 7 (5 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): showtimes): 12 / 21 (4 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Center Point 11): 12 / 5 (4 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 145 / 140 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Bay Street): ? (reportedly two sell outs, I doubt it) / 44 (5 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 82 / 86 (7 showtimes)
Total tickets sold in 9/10 theaters till today for Thursday: 420 and for Friday: 486.

Not easy to find some fitting comps: Maybe Zombieland 2 which had on Thursday 1.118/1.209 sold tickets or Good Boys with 1.056/965.
I also think that this film has rather a niche appeal but its presales don't look too bad, at least better than I thought (especially now with SF added).
I think it could reach 10M+ if the walk ups are not too wimpy but who knows.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Eric Dolittle said:

Shame The Photograph wasn't even mentioned. I'm looking forward to that one.

Sony/Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island is currently speaking to older males and females with a 4-day start between $12M-$16M. Under 25 males aren’t in for this big pic take on the ’80s ABC thriller TV series. The pic starring Michael Pena as the mysterious facilitator of fantasies, Mr. Roarke, was made for a song at an estimated $7M.

Universal’s has the African American romance The Photograph starring Issa Rae and LaKeith Stanfield which is eyeing a $10M-$14M four-day start.

Quick update. Turning has totally sold 6056 tickets(4233 + 1833) while Gentlemen has sold 12423 tickets( 9478 + 2955) between 2 MTC. Assuming they double the ticket sales by end of the day Turning would have around 0.35m previews and Gentlemen around 0.75m previews. Let us see if the movies see even better walkups. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic surprises (say, 40M for 3-day and close to 50 for the 4-day). I think fans are going to be very much on board with this; the move to change the character's design I think won a lot of people over, not just because it's no longer a horrible design, but the fact that "a movie listened to the fans for once" is going to make a lot of people who would have been on the fence pretty happy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic surprises (say, 40M for 3-day and close to 50 for the 4-day). I think fans are going to be very much on board with this; the move to change the character's design I think won a lot of people over, not just because it's no longer a horrible design, but the fact that "a movie listened to the fans for once" is going to make a lot of people who would have been on the fence pretty happy.

That and unlike Pikachu, it marketing itself more a kids movie especially after Dolittle will help it.

5 hours ago, Taylor said:
Sony/Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island is currently speaking to older males and females with a 4-day start between $12M-$16M. Under 25 males aren’t in for this big pic take on the ’80s ABC thriller TV series. The pic starring Michael Pena as the mysterious facilitator of fantasies, Mr. Roarke, was made for a song at an estimated $7M.

Universal’s has the African American romance The Photograph starring Issa Rae and LaKeith Stanfield which is eyeing a $10M-$14M four-day start.

Fantasy Island only cost 7 Million?

I changed my mind. The studio will probably get a good return on their investment.

I call that Keeping the budget down with a vengeance. Most low budget horror films cost more then that....

56 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The original SOnic design was terrible and the studio was right to change it, but I think allowing "the fans" to make creative decisions is a horrible,horrible, precedent.

And seems to me the filmmakers should have seen the design was bad without any feedback....

Edited by dudalb