grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

16 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Fast and Furious 9 (T - ∞ )

MTC1 - overall 553 shows 2414/124062 43757.83

MTC2 - overall 1956 shows 1691/320536 22025.65 

Perfect start to break Endgame record 🙂. MTC2 showtimes have confirmed this is gonna have blockbuster release. 

Incredible how people hate on the FF series yet it still sells like crazy.

Just now, The Chad DC said:

Incredible how people hate on the FF series yet it still sells like crazy.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Public".

P.T. Barnum.

Just because something is popular does not mean it's any good. I can point on hugely popular films that are now pretty much regarded as garbage.

I dunno. Anecdotal, but I've seen plenty of people in my friend circles pretty interested in Mulan, and there still seems to be solid enough buzz online and in Disney fan circles. Also feel like Mulan has a bigger following today than back in '98. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong in a couple weeks, but I would be kind of surprised if this opened below 70M

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Birds of Prey Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 59 1790 3.30%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 42 1506 2.79%

SEATS SOLD SOLD TODAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
233      N/A 9724 2.40% 9 46

Terminator comp: 4.64M

Joker comp: 4.58M

Adjusted Joker comp: 4.26M

Joker will have a huge asterisk on it the whole time. It underperformed here and didn't have Century Aurora. We'll see how that goes. 

Birds of Prey Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 89 1790 4.97%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 46 1506 3.05%

SEATS SOLD SOLD TODAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
297 64 9724 3.05% 9 46

Terminator comp: 5.50M

Joker comp: 5.24M

Adjusted Joker comp: 4.94M

Hobbs comp: 4.99M

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

They’re prediction to Mulan is ridiculous.

Yes, second trailer views are kinda low, but the teaser did like 122M views on 24 hours without China, people are still talking about the movie. Even them said the social media numbers for this is very good, they’re cons are: the animation isn’t that big, the reshoots and changes can upset fans, it will face Peter Rabbit / Trolls competition on April and it is facing backlash online (which we all know is based on political point of views).

Honestly, to me they’re just more cautious after high overpredictions last year with Dumbo and TLK.

Don’t think it will be at TLK, BTAB, TJB level, but $ 80-90M OW seems like a realistic Number.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

F9 looks amazingly insane 

If they went totally insane, that would be a step in the right direction. Problem I had with the last few films is that the plots got more and more ourtagous and silly, but the filmmakers kept trying to play it straight, instead of embracing the silliness. 

1 hour ago, Eric #RIPKobe said:

I dunno. Anecdotal, but I've seen plenty of people in my friend circles pretty interested in Mulan, and there still seems to be solid enough buzz online and in Disney fan circles. Also feel like Mulan has a bigger following today than back in '98. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong in a couple weeks, but I would be kind of surprised if this opened below 70M

Same, my family is as GA as it comes and out of all the trailers we saw with TROS, Mulan was the one they were most interested in.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Sorry, didn't see that. I think it was a previous article where they said 83 mil or something like that.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/birds-prey-tracking-50m-bow-north-america-1270438

no one can say for sure what the budget but this article says 81m

I’m seeing things coming in around 5-7 for previews(unless reviews really help ticket sales next week)I’m just hoping it can do Shazam’s numbers WW. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TLK said:

Will Disney go ahead with the Mulan release if they can't release it simultaneously in China ? It may make more sense to move it to November/December.

With the Super Bowl spot I think it's too late.

Probably would've made so much money in December. 

41 minutes ago, Eric #RIPKobe said:

Doing that kind of last-minute delay for a film with two trailers and a Super Bowl spot ready to go would basically kill the movie worldwide. They're not gonna push a movie back solely because of one market.

It's not about one market, it's about THE market. This movie was made to please Chinese audiences, every change they made that turned back a lot of West people was because they expected Chinese people to eat it, a movie like this losing this market is a far bigger problem than a movie like BOP losing the release date.

• Disbelief 1

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American Public".

P.T. Barnum.

Just because something is popular does not mean it's any good. I can point on hugely popular films that are now pretty much regarded as garbage.

Exactly. Before the trailer dropped, everyone was asking why the franchise wasnt dead, why they never race now etc. Yet boom. Tickets go on sale and everyone's there day 1.

2 hours ago, TLK said:

Will Disney go ahead with the Mulan release if they can't release it simultaneously in China ? It may make more sense to move it to November/December.

Absolutely. If they can't open it in CHina, all the more reason to open it in the US. They to get in the bucks to start paying back the bank loans and lowering the interest rates as quickly as possible.

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

why everyone is asking this ? its not logical 

It's not.

No reason for Disney to delay the relase of ANY movie in the US because they have to delay the release in another country.

2 hours ago, Eric #RIPKobe said:

Doing that kind of last-minute delay for a film with two trailers and a Super Bowl spot ready to go would basically kill the movie worldwide. They're not gonna push a movie back solely because of one market.

This, and I was not joking about Disney needs to get the cash in to help lower the debt they went into on Mulan.  Stuff like that plays a role in scheduleding a film's release as well as the obvious "pick a weekend where the film will do well".