grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

With the looming threat of a potential coronavirus outbreak in this country, I'd say this definitely won't be a predictable year lol (pray things don't come to that for the sake of everyone, not just the movie industry).

Totally agree. Obviously I'd prefer to have the box office be $0 for the year if it could mean no one else dies from this virus. But given this is an industry I know about (relatively speaking) and care about, it's a proxy for how different industries around the world are going to be affected.

I just hope, for example, movie studios don't take the wrong message away from 2020. For example, say coronavirus fear increases dramatically in the US and, say, No Time to Die completely bombs as a result. As long as studios are aware of the external factors affecting the box office, and don't make stupid future decisions because of a failure to understand, I'm okay with seeing some flops here and there. 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 2

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Onward Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 22 1434 1.53%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 25 1610 1.55%

SEATS SOLD SOLD TODAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
111 10 7694 1.44% 9 40

Sonic comp: 2.45M

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 1.66M

AMC Westminster 24

Total 22 1434 1.53%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 28 1610 1.74%

128 17 7694 1.66% 9 40

Sonic comp: 2.30M

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 1.76M

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

No Time to Die is being weird with Thursday previews. I know that IMAX showings are getting early screenings, so they’re showing throughout the day on Thursday. Don’t see anything earlier than that though. But it seems other premium formats are getting that treatment too. RPX(Regal), and Cinemark XD are showing all day too. We’ll see if AMC follows suit. At this rate they might as well fully release it on Thursday.

What in the ever loving fu...

*checks locally*

ck.

===

Studios really are trying to ruin Thr previews, aren't they?

Probably will still do NTTD, as it's only one extra screen in most (but not all) of my local theaters (a couple have more than one PLF screen).

But... Seriously:

3qe5qi.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Invisible Man Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 40 1256 3.18%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 43 1432 3.00%

139 25 5603 2.48% 9 31

Shows added: 1

Seats added: 50

Gemini Man comp: 1.65M

Invisible Man Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 62 1256 4.94%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 63 1469 4.29%

213 74 6246 3.41% 9 32

Shows added: 1

Seats added: 643

Gemini Man comp: 1.85M

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

What in the ever loving fu...

*checks locally*

ck.

===

Studios really are trying to ruin Thr previews, aren't they?

Probably will still do NTTD, as it's only one extra screen in most (but not all) of my local theaters (a couple have more than one PLF screen).

But... Seriously:

3qe5qi.jpg

My continuing theory is that studios want to turn thursday into "opening day" for films. Perhaps the "hey thurs, fri, sat, sun" those numbers look really good for a *cough* "opening weekend". And hey that means we can do wed "previews" to add to thurs "opening day"....

In the social media world i think we are headed in that direction.

Just wait till if/when we get premium opening day on streaming as well.

"50 million subscribers watched fast and furious 25 on opening day" 

I really wish i could say i was being satirical....

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

AMC Westminster 24

Total 22 1434 1.53%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 28 1610 1.74%

128 17 7694 1.66% 9 40

Sonic comp: 2.30M

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 1.76M

nice, it started bump up

13 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

My continuing theory is that studios want to turn thursday into "opening day" for films. Perhaps the "hey thurs, fri, sat, sun" those numbers look really good for a *cough* "opening weekend". And hey that means we can do wed "previews" to add to thurs "opening day"....

In the social media world i think we are headed in that direction.

Just wait till if/when we get premium opening day on streaming as well.

"50 million subscribers watched fast and furious 25 on opening day" 

I really wish i could say i was being satirical....

As a long time watcher of the tomfoolery around Black Friday, I don't think you're being unrealistic at all.

I am old enough to remember when midnight sales for Black Friday were the standard demarcation line.  Then a bunch of retailers pushed it back to 10 pm.  Then 9.  Then they just said "Fuck it, you hate your family anyway, right?  We'll be open at 5pm."

Got to the point where customers actually revolted a bit and along with the rise of online-shopping and decline of brick and mortar kinda curtailed the madness.  Still pretty crazy though.

But, yes, I can see a day where we start it all up again with Midnight and 10pm Wed shows.

===

Only way this doesn't happen is if the advance screening craze really takes off (one day limited engagement a few days earlier).  That's still in fits and starts it seems, and does at least have a long history to back it up.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Sadly we already have this problem in the UK.

Sony counted a full weekend of previews, then a Tuesday opening for Jumanji as it’s “opening weekend”. Literally seven days of full wide release play lol. 

It’s been happening here, with most big films, for a few years now. 

Those weekend “previews” were in every cinema, with 10 showings a day lol: 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

I dont think open thursday is in immediate future ( though hearing uk already doing this a bit wow). Maybe its because NTTD is craigs last film and apparemtly a huge running time of approx 2 hrs 45 min, maybe thats reason for some of those showings. 

It just seems like it could head that way, if not for all films then the tentpole big time films. 

Something to watch for at least.

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sadly we already have this problem in the UK.

Sony counted a full weekend of previews, then a Tuesday opening for Jumanji as it’s “opening weekend”. Literally seven days of full wide release play lol. 

It’s been happening here, with most big films, for a few years now. 

Those weekend “previews” were in every cinema, with 10 showings a day lol: 

Spectre’s was the most laughable, the “opening weekend“ was counted as Monday (from 8pm when screenings were allowed to start) through to Sunday if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Spectre’s was the most laughable, the “opening weekend“ was counted as Monday (from 8pm when screenings were allowed to start) through to Sunday if I remember correctly.

Bad Neighbours “opening weekend” went from full day Saturday all the way till next Sunday. I think one of the Transformers movies did the same. Then you wonder why the second weekend drop is so big.

• Like 2

Movies open on Thursday here. It doesn't help family movies or more average releases but big stuff like 1917, Joker, Bad Boys or Star Wars does a lot more on OW with that extra day.

• Like 4

So I guess it's not just for Birds of Prey for WB putting tickets on sale late as they haven't put The Way Back tickets on sale yet. Not like that's gonna be a big preseller but that seems dumb. Hope they don't do this with Wonder Woman. 

Edit: hmmm they seem to be available on Fandango but not on Atom. Ok lol

Edited by AdrianL
  • Like 1