grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-20 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 44 66 10,907 0.61%

Comp

0.168x of It: Chapter Two 20 days before release (1.76M)

So it's early, and I don't really have many good comps to work with at the moment. But honestly, I'm kind of disappointed with this number. I feel like being at least close to 100 tickets on the first day would have been much better. But of course, it's not out just yet. We'll see how the next few days unfold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mulan Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-27 and Counting

TOTALS 0 46 118 9,423 1.25%

Total Shows Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 264

Total Seats Sold Today: 10

Comp

1.573x of Maleficent 27 days before release (3.62M)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

F9 Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-83 and Counting

TOTALS 0 52 388 12,658 3.07%

Total Seats Sold Today: 5

• Thanks 3

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-20 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

0.57%

Total Seats Sold Today

Day One Adjusted Comp #1 

%

Sold Day 1

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

It 2

0/70

8884/9103

2.41%

2.30m

AQP 2 (adj)

n/a

0/51

7756/7804

0.62%

n/a

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: AQP 2 (adj) is the ticket data at the same theaters I had tracking info for It: Chapter 2

====

Ooof.  I'm hella disappointed in this number.  Even Hobbs & Shaw outsold it on its Day 1 (55 v 48).

Now it is one day.  And it hasn't shown up in several theaters locally yet.  But that wouldn't have made a difference.  Like @Eric the Hedgehog said, I would have liked to seen a hell of a lot more tickets sold, at least a hundred or so.

Still, just one day.  Maybe it'll be a late arriving audience.  But gotta tell ya.  It was a pretty damn quiet place at the pre-sale window locally*.  We'll see what happens as it goes forward.

* Said that to get the jokes out of the way. ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thought about mentioning last night that I thought Mulan was more likely to hit the 7/70 threshold than AQP2, but I wasn’t interested in the ensuing conversation until we had numbers. Now, we can see where things are in a couple days, but if you’re deciding for basic logistical sanity reasons between tracking F9+NTTD+AQP2+maybe BW all at once vs F9+NTTD+Mulan...

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2

FWIW, Mulan  was... interesting.  Calmed down quite a bit from yesterday, but still did respectable enough thanks to yet another set of group sales at one of the local theaters.  Without those, it would have been much much less.

Overall, actually managed to outsell AQP II today, 51 vs 48.  Lost quite a bit of ground to Aladdin though, as I expected it would (Aladdin had an exceedingly strong 2nd day locally). 

Now stands at 277/11301 (2.45%) which is 68.56% of Aladdin (4.80m), 131.28% of Pika Pika (7.48m), 25.36% of Frozen 2 (2.16m), 19.63% of TLK (4.51m) and 30.88% of TS4 (3.7m).

See what it's like tomorrow, but... ehhh.  I'll see what my gut thinks after tomorrow's numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Thought about mentioning last night that I thought Mulan was more likely to hit the 7/70 threshold than AQP2, but I wasn’t interested in the ensuing conversation until we had numbers. Now, we can see where things are in a couple days, but if you’re deciding for basic logistical sanity reasons between tracking F9+NTTD+AQP2+maybe BW all at once vs F9+NTTD+Mulan...

Luckily, AQP2 takes no time at all. 

I blame Shawn, remember. :lol: 

Still, will see where it goes.  But I must admit to being quite surprised at this considering BOP has it ticketed for a 70m OW right now.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Ive been expecting a lower opening for AQP 2 compared to the first one for some time. First one was marketed as an event and had the "very few lines of dialogue" novelty to it that this movie doesn't. Hopefully it does better than this as marketing ramps up. Going to stick with 35 mil OW (I think the IT movies had a similar drop in OW) which should be fine for this movie. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

I doubt Mulan has 7m previews. Even F2 just did 8m. Aladdin had Will Smith. 

Nationally also it tanked after a big start. But that was expected as there is way to go for the previews. 

FYI Onward Advance/Marathon Shows have sold good with limited shows. 

MTC1 - overall 114 shows 10064/17903 162452.71 159766.93

MTC2 - overall 103 shows 9624/11552 93429.00 80591.25

Thinking most shows will be close to sellout tomorrow and so it can do 0.8m through advance shows. This is hard to project as MTC ratios could be unpredictable depending on how many shows are there nationally. 

I will look at Quiet Place 2 tomorrow. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-20 and Counting

TOTALS 0 44 66 10,907 0.61%

Comp

0.168x of It: Chapter Two 20 days before release (1.76M)

So it's early, and I don't really have many good comps to work with at the moment. But honestly, I'm kind of disappointed with this number. I feel like being at least close to 100 tickets on the first day would have been much better. But of course, it's not out just yet. We'll see how the next few days unfold.

I wouldn't put much stock in A Quiet Place being a big early seller. All signs for the original were pointing to an opening in the $20M range until the week of opening when it exploded. That final week before opening will also be crucial again*.

(* because with the growing and unpredictable coronavirus threat who knows what everyone's priorities will be like even a week from now lol - there's already plenty of articles going around about how it's changing the way the industry is operating with premieres and such at the moment).

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wouldn't put much stock in A Quiet Place being a big early seller. All signs for the original were pointing to an opening in the $20M range until the week of opening when it exploded. That final week before opening will also be crucial again*.

(* because with the growing and unpredictable coronavirus threat who knows what everyone's priorities will be like even a week from now lol - there's already plenty of articles going around about how it's changing the way the industry is operating with premieres and such at the moment).

Didn't the first It also only explode the week before it released (like most horror films) while the 2nd film's presales played out more like a typical blockbuster?

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Didn't the first It also only explode the week before it released (like most horror films) while the 2nd film's presales played out more like a typical blockbuster?

I believe so, yeah. Movies of this sort tend to be more walk-up friendly than more typical blockbuster genres.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I believe so, yeah. Movies of this sort tend to be more walk-up friendly than more typical blockbuster genres.

But shouldn't AQP 2's presales perform more like a blockbuster just like It Chapter 2 or even Us (which although wasn't a sequel, was a spirital successor to Get Out and was advertised as such) did rather than a typical horror film?

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But shouldn't AQP 2's presales perform more like a blockbuster just like It Chapter 2 or even Us (which although wasn't a sequel, was a spirital successor to Get Out and was advertised as such) did rather than a typical horror film?

7 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I’m with lorddemaxus here. Don’t see why a sequel PS pattern would have nearly the same level of PS backloadness as the same franchise’s first entry.

Given what's happening in the world right now, I feel like securing tickets for a movie weeks in advance is one of the last things on anyone's mind right now :lol:;) Though that also applies to all movies, don't think anyone should be surprised if we see in an unusual level of backloadedness for the foreseeable future given the unpredictable nature of everything at the moment.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Given what's happening in the world right now, I feel like securing tickets for a movie weeks in advance is one of the last things on anyone's mind right now :lol:;) Though that also applies to all movies, don't think anyone should be surprised if we see in an unusual level of backloadedness for the foreseeable future given the unpredictable nature of everything at the moment.

This is... a very interesting and plausible hypothesis 👍

21 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Onward Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 29 1434 2.02%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 30 1610 1.86%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
153 9 7694 1.99% 9 40

Sonic comp: 2.22M

Adjusted Maleficent comp: 1.93M

Onward Thursday Night Showings Denver