grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

We knew this for a week now. Mulan is next. No way disney is that stupid to release it when entire country could be shutdown by then. May be they are hoping all theaters are closed so that they dont have to pay any penalty for delaying the movie. 

I think it will take 6 months minimum before we see things back to normal and so I expect all movies till labor day either gone. Theaters could be closed for few months and then it will take some time to recover. I wont envy any blockbuster opening immediately after reopening. 

I hope big movies Black Widow, Wonder Woman, Fast 9, Tenet etc are moved to 2021. Let year end movies open as planned. 

• Like 1

I know we talked about this recently but maybe there was truth to the idea that A Quiet Place would be delayed because it depicts the first day of when everything to shit (one could even argue it's the "money shot" of the marketing campaign)? You don't have to pay $12 to see fear and panic when you can get it for free these days and it sounds like Krasinski was just as involved in the decision as Paramount (given that he confirmed the news).

On 1/31/2020 at 11:38 AM, keysersoze123 said:

Fast and Furious 9 (T - ∞ )

MTC1 - overall 553 shows 2414/124062 43757.83

MTC2 - overall 1956 shows 1691/320536 22025.65 

Perfect start to break Endgame record 🙂. MTC2 showtimes have confirmed this is gonna have blockbuster release. 

I was prescient in my initial update. :Venom:

To find the humor in this situation, how fitting all of these dominos would start falling the same week The Hunt finally got released. :lol: Who knows at this point, maybe all theaters will close before its first showings tonight.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

So Fast 9 is delayed and so @Porthos has nothing else to track 🙂

Hell, Porthos, who lives in Sacramento, as I do, might not be able to go to a movie;the State Government just issued it's recommendations:

Californians should cancel or postpone events with more than 250 people, while smaller gatherings should space people at least 6 feet apart to avoid spreading coronavirus, California Gov. Gavin Newsom and top health officials announced Wednesday night.

That would pretty much shut down movie theaters.

Right now it's a recommendation, but if you read between the lines it says 'You don't comply, it will become an order"

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

No new release date either so who knows when it'll open. I guess we'll have to see what the numbers look like in the coming days and if any theaters start shutting down on a wide scale depending on what the next day brings. We're in "one day at a time" territory here.

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

So Fast 9 is delayed and so @Porthos has nothing else to track 🙂

Uo02AHP.png

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

The funny thing is, I knocked out that pic BEFORE I saw the FF9 news. :lol: 

If I had seen it, I'd would have shifted to the 4 door meme and added Mulan.

(though it doesn't quite work, since I was no longer actively tracking it)

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Moved to April 2

I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave some moments ago.

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Uo02AHP.png

Hey, Porthos, you  have read the State Board of Health's recommendation which would pretty much shut down theaters in California.

And that was quite a scene at Golden One Areana last night when the Kings/Peleicans game got cancelled?

Just now, dudalb said:

Hey, Porthos, you  have read the State Board of Health's recommendation which would pretty much shut down theaters in California.

And that was quite a scene at Golden One Areana last night when the Kings/Peleicans game got cancelled?

250 and under isn't what kills movie theaters as many are under 200 seats nowadays, except for PLF screens.  It's the "six feet apart social distance" requirement which does.

• Like 1

Who I feel sorry for in Sacramento is Studio Movie Grill.  They have a brand new theater opening up any week now in Citrus Heights (it was SUPPOSED to open late last year, but you know how construction/planning goes).  Swung by it about six weeks ago and it looked to be finally under full swing, so I expected it to open in April or so.

Get the feeling it might have a little bit of a rocky launch. qnqGT0e.png

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

250 and under isn't what kills movie theaters as many are under 200 seats nowadays, except for PLF screens.  It's the "six feet apart social distance" requirement which does.

But then you have to ask if the closing down of the big seat auditoriums at a movieplex would make it worthwhile to keep the others open.

I know I should not have laughed but I had to when I saw this picture posted by Porthos...
Again I can only say sorry. It's still all black no matter which gadget I use :(.
On the one hand I'm also becoming discouraged but actually I was interested how Bloodshot and I Still Believe are doing. I counted I Still Believe on February the 25th and back then it had 29/19 sold tickets (with back then only a few showtimes but playing in all of my 10 theaters, a good sign). I remember that I Can Only Imagine did very well presales-wise at Pulse but OTOH Overcomer was the worst doing title of all movies that I counted: It had on Thursday, the day of its release, only 91/34 sold tickets and still a decent weekend (8.1M). So if I Still Believe is looking quite ok judging from the reports of keyser it could still surprise (but of course the circumstances are very difficult).
Bloodshot should normally have - as several other action movies which looked mediocre at best presales-wise - nice walkups but now Idk.

Here in Germany the coronavirus gets enormous coverage in the media (especially from online magazines - it's more or less the only topic). 
This is only anecdotal: Yesterday I was at the same Chinese restaurant as some weeks ago and I would say that it was indeed a bit less attended. But it's a very popular restaurant and therefore hard to evaluate.
My brother who works for a big car company reported that the mood is not the best (e.g. because of the DAX – our pendant to the DOW) but the people are calm, all works normal (beyond that the production is a bit lower because China is missing at the moment as a sales market) and not more people do home office than usual.

Our guru of insidekino still sees pretty normal holds in Germany this weekend but several theater chains let one seat free next to a reserved seat which some moviegoers may like and probably most not. I understand that everybody wants to do the best and cause the best safety conditions but OTOH our trains, buses, stores, markets etc. e.g. in Munich but also smaller towns are overcrowded anyway, especially in the rush hours (Germany has ca. ¼ of the population of the USA but only 1/27 of the land area). But as last week, I hope for the best worldwide.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, el sid said:

I know I should not have laughed but I had to when I saw this picture posted by Porthos...
Again I can only say sorry. It's still all black no matter which gadget I use :(.
On the one hand I'm also becoming discouraged but actually I was interested how Bloodshot and I Still Believe are doing. I counted I Still Believe on February the 25th and back then it had 29/19 sold tickets (with back then only a few showtimes but playing in all of my 10 theaters, a good sign). I remember that I Can Only Imagine did very well presales-wise at Pulse but OTOH Overcomer was the worst doing title of all movies that I counted: It had on Thursday, the day of its release, only 91/34 sold tickets and still a decent weekend (8.1M). So if I Still Believe is looking quite ok judging from the reports of keyser it could still surprise (but of course the circumstances are very difficult).
Bloodshot should normally have - as several other action movies which looked mediocre at best presales-wise - nice walkups but now Idk.

I Still Believe was selling fine when I checked last night (although who knows if walk-up business will die now or the people who bought their tickets will just take the loss and not show up) but the one that's looking completely DOA is The Hunt. Most shows are looking completely empty hours before showtime. Clearly that movie never had good luck attached to it. 

• Like 2