grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 hours ago, el sid said:

I know I should not have laughed but I had to when I saw this picture posted by Porthos...
Again I can only say sorry. It's still all black no matter which gadget I use :(.
On the one hand I'm also becoming discouraged but actually I was interested how Bloodshot and I Still Believe are doing. I counted I Still Believe on February the 25th and back then it had 29/19 sold tickets (with back then only a few showtimes but playing in all of my 10 theaters, a good sign). I remember that I Can Only Imagine did very well presales-wise at Pulse but OTOH Overcomer was the worst doing title of all movies that I counted: It had on Thursday, the day of its release, only 91/34 sold tickets and still a decent weekend (8.1M). So if I Still Believe is looking quite ok judging from the reports of keyser it could still surprise (but of course the circumstances are very difficult).
Bloodshot should normally have - as several other action movies which looked mediocre at best presales-wise - nice walkups but now Idk.

Here in Germany the coronavirus gets enormous coverage in the media (especially from online magazines - it's more or less the only topic). 
This is only anecdotal: Yesterday I was at the same Chinese restaurant as some weeks ago and I would say that it was indeed a bit less attended. But it's a very popular restaurant and therefore hard to evaluate.
My brother who works for a big car company reported that the mood is not the best (e.g. because of the DAX – our pendant to the DOW) but the people are calm, all works normal (beyond that the production is a bit lower because China is missing at the moment as a sales market) and not more people do home office than usual.

Our guru of insidekino still sees pretty normal holds in Germany this weekend but several theater chains let one seat free next to a reserved seat which some moviegoers may like and probably most not. I understand that everybody wants to do the best and cause the best safety conditions but OTOH our trains, buses, stores, markets etc. e.g. in Munich but also smaller towns are overcrowded anyway, especially in the rush hours (Germany has ca. ¼ of the population of the USA but only 1/27 of the land area). But as last week, I hope for the best worldwide.

Have you tried using VPN with American IP address ?

• Like 1

Lessee...lets check fast 9..oh pushed ahead a year?! 

Okay quiet place 2.....postponed....oookay, 

Mulan.....postponed what in the world 

How about new mut...ants....again.

So, um, how about those (insert sport team here)...really?

Strange days.....

Edited by Tinalera

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

At this point I won't be surprised if theaters shut down tomorrow. Onward already underperformed and the whole spring box office is now gone.

actually onward, has some very good legs dom

Just now, john2000 said:

actually onward, has some very good legs dom

Won't mean much if theaters are closing up until the storm passes (which seems likely now). No new movies set to open for a whole month after this weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

So is there any thoughts black widow gets moved?

No movies for amonth...going to be quiet here....just as i finally get some time to track....theres nothing to track.....sign:sadno:

At this point, it's next to impossible to guess what happens next.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I could see theatres shutting down big time starting on the 20th, I just don't think we're going to see it in the next 1-2 days with 3 movies already releasing this weekend. 

Relevant:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

So is there any thoughts black widow gets moved?

No movies for amonth...going to be quiet here....just as i finally get some time to track....theres nothing to track.....sign:sadno:

Disney has a few weeks left to decide on BW.

• Like 1

Moving away from the virus for a second (so don't @ me about how this scenario isn't plausible because of the virus) but hypothetically let's say the worst of the storm ends by mid/end April. After nothing releasing for a month, if BW keeps its May 1 slot, I think its numbers will be mega-inflated due to people not having had any option over the past month.

Honestly, the first blockbuster to open when this all ends is going to see its numbers go big. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Disney has a few weeks left to decide on BW.

i could see them holding it without presales till 15 of april, , if things are shit by that time, then, there is no reason to think that they will be way better 2 weeks after, if things are good, then well, but yeah unlike mulan , i dont think that they wil drop the presale for bw

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Even New Mutants. I guess theaters will be shutdown soon. No surprise on Mulan. But this seems delay without a new date and so they want to release it as soon as things settle down?

New Mutants could just premier on Disney+. 

That is one film I think could end up on Disney+. Only cost 40 Million and IMHO It's chances were not very good anyway.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Moving away from the virus for a second (so don't @ me about how this scenario isn't plausible because of the virus) but hypothetically let's say the worst of the storm ends by mid/end April. After nothing releasing for a month, if BW keeps its May 1 slot, I think its numbers will be mega-inflated due to people not having had any option over the past month.

Honestly, the first blockbuster to open when this all ends is going to see its numbers go big. 

That’s probably why they haven’t moved BW yet and why ww84 hasn’t moved yet either, everyone is gonna try and cash in as soon as they can. I suspect both will end up moving though. 

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

i could see that, even though there is an arguement to be made that people will be fearfull for some time, at the same time there is arguement to be made that people will cant wait to go out  and see a movie

• Like 2