grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Agree, but the idea that theaters will reopen and audineces will come flocking back right away   is just mistaken.If it's get bad ..which it will..it will leave scars. I can see for a couple of months after things return to normal people will keep gathering in groups to a  minimum..work, shopping, but avoiding unnessecary large groups.

People are still gathering at beaches even NOW. The idea that once restrictions are lifted and people are told that they can go out freely is sadly too naïve imo. If lots of people are fine with gathering in large crowds DURING the pandemic, I have no doubt they will after the pandemic. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DAJK said:

People are still gathering at beaches even NOW. The idea that once restrictions are lifted and people are told that they can go out freely is sadly too naïve imo. If lots of people are fine with gathering in large crowds DURING the pandemic, I have no doubt they will after the pandemic. 

We’re still very early in the pandemic. National trauma hasn’t set in yet.    

I think looking to other countries is the best way to go, and China is very strongly signaling that things will only come back gradually.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

That has stopped in the past few days.

And it was only in the states that have not been heavy hit by the virus yet.

And you have not see nothing yet. It is goning to get much,much worse in the next couple of weeks.

54 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

We’re still very early in the pandemic. National trauma hasn’t set in yet.    

I think looking to other countries is the best way to go, and China is very strongly signaling that things will only come back gradually.

Florida is going to be the next state to be hit bigtime.

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That has stopped in the past few days.

And it was only in the states that have not been heavy hit by the virus yet.

And you have not see nothing yet. It is goning to get much,much worse in the next couple of weeks.

Not exactly. People are still going to beaches, hanging out with friends, etc. 

And thanks for reminding me that I haven't seeing nuthin' yet :lol: I definitely needed that

The big problem with the beaches lately was that this was the week of  spring break and a lot of these kids had probably been planning trips to the beach with their friends for months. Once spring break time ends we probably won't see as big of a problem with it (though it won't entirely go away as there are always going to be people that don't care.

And we are still a long ways away from getting out of this as the spread of the disease and the death toll continue to get worse on a daily basis. New York City is where a lot of the infection and death is coming from which is no surprise since everyone is crammed together there. It's like all those tv shows and movies about these kinds of things. Crowded cities are the first places it goes bad.

Take a look at this page which is charting the spread of the virus and where it is coming from.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

NYC is about ten times worse than anywhere else in the country.

Edited by RockyMountain

I think we are looking at theaters reopening in July. There will be 4 months of releases to cram which are all big Summer films.

Black Widow shall be taking July 4th weekend most likely. Mulan shall be around Mid July as was The Lion King's date. August will be again very crammed leading all the way upto October. Venom 2 may go take November spot of Eternals perhaps and Eternals on Christmas. I am not sure if Raya The Last Dragon will be complete for release at Thanksgiving, Soul shall move to Thanksgiving.

That's what I want.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think we are looking at theaters reopening in July. There will be 4 months of releases to cram which are all big Summer films.

Black Widow shall be taking July 4th weekend most likely. Mulan shall be around Mid July as was The Lion King's date. August will be again very crammed leading all the way upto October. Venom 2 may go take November spot of Eternals perhaps and Eternals on Christmas. I am not sure if Raya The Last Dragon will be complete for release at Thanksgiving, Soul shall move to Thanksgiving.

That's what I want.

Really too early to say right now when theaters will open back up. They aren't going to open until they get a handle on this and it stops spreading and people stop dying on a daily basis. If they don't start getting a handle on it within the next month or two I think it is very likely theaters will stay closed for the rest of the year. I just talked with someone who lives in the state over from me and they are going to start making people pay fines and possibly make them see some jail time if they are out for non essential purposes. And they just ordered a more intense stay at home policy where I live that is more significant than just the social distancing policy that was in play before. Basically they want people to stay at home period.

Edited by RockyMountain

Romania update: +144 cases since yesterday (total now at 906 cases). +4 deaths (total at 13, all in the 60-75 age range, all had pre-existing conditions). +7 recovered, total at 86.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Gotta love that everything that was set to open in April is now gone except for My Spy. :lol: I hope it stays there until the very end.

My Spy should end up on VOD/Streaming by late April.

10 hours ago, Andreas said:

Romania update: +144 cases since yesterday (total now at 906 cases). +4 deaths (total at 13, all in the 60-75 age range, all had pre-existing conditions). +7 recovered, total at 86.

Wrong thread ?

1 hour ago, TLK said:

My Spy should end up on VOD/Streaming by late April.

There should be a book about the movies that have enjoyed the roughest path to getting released: that, The Hunt (pulled from its original release due to real world events only to be released as a pandemic started and put out on streaming a week later), and New Mutants.

Edited by filmlover

Dr.Fauci (and if you need be told who is, shame on you)

talked, at today's White House press conference, about COVID 19 being seasonal,and warned there was a reasonable chance it might be back this fall.THAT must have thrilled studio execs....

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Dr.Fauci (and if you need be told who is, shame on you)

talked, at today's White House press conference, about COVID 19 being seasonal,and warned there was a reasonable chance it might be back this fall.THAT must have thrilled studio execs....

I think it's almost guaranteed there's gonna be a second wave in the fall. The only question is if it's gonna be as bad as the first wave. I'm gonna say no because viruses almost always mutate into a less deadly version of itself in the second wave (yeah, the Spanish flu got more deadly in the second wave but that's because of the war) and a large number of the population will have gained some sort of temporary immunity at least.

Even then, governments might still treat it as if it's as easy to spread and deadly as the virus in the first wave and close cinemas so yeah, not gonna be good if the virus starts emerging again in the fall.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think it's almost guaranteed there's gonna be a second wave in the fall. The only question is if it's gonna be as bad as the first wave. I'm gonna say no because viruses almost always mutate into a less deadly version of itself in the second wave (yeah, the Spanish flu got more deadly in the second wave but that's because of the war) and a large number of the population will have gained some sort of temporary immunity at least.

Even then, governments might still treat it as if it's as easy to spread and deadly as the virus in the first wave and close cinemas so yeah, not gonna be good if the virus starts emerging again in the fall.

IF the first wave is as bad as it seems it will, authorirties won't be taking chances if it breaks out in the fall, and the shut down orders will come much quicker.

• Like 1

Well before we start worrying about the second wave we first need to get through the first wave. There was another 247 deaths yesterday. Honestly when we feel a future pandemics may be eminent NYC needs to be evacuated as much as possible much like it would if a hurricane was barreling down on the city. We have a big country and have the ability to spread that amount of people out if needed.

Edited by RockyMountain

1 hour ago, RockyMountain said:

Well before we start worrying about the second wave we first need to get through the first wave. There was another 247 deaths yesterday. Honestly when we feel a future pandemics may be eminent NYC needs to be evacuated as much as possible much like it would if a hurricane was barreling down on the city. We have a big country and have the ability to spread that amount of people out if needed.

BS. Now is the time to start making contingency plans for a second wave.

But evacuation of NYC is a foolish idea. The LOgistics are just impossible. Where the hell would you put millions of  people? How would you transport them?

Not to mention other huge cities would be just as hard hit.