grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Yeah, evacuation is sorta a bad idea. You'd just send the potential infection somewhere else.

You can evacuate from a hurricane for the most part. A virus not so much.

It's the logistics.ANybody talking about evacuating NYC has no idea of what is involved

Sony just pushed their entire summer 2020 slate to 2021. Not to fall or Christmas or anything, but all the way to next year. That does not bode well for expectations over the next 4 or 5 or 6 months.

When theaters finally reopen, it's going to be super slow business for a month or two. It's going to take some really big blockbuster to really attract people back to the theaters (something like Wonder Woman or Black Widow or both Mulan/Top Gun on the same weekend).

And even then, the first big movie that tries it might realize that they should have waited an extra month.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kitik said:

Sony just pushed their entire summer 2020 slate to 2021. Not to fall or Christmas or anything, but all the way to next year. That does not bode well for expectations over the next 4 or 5 or 6 months.

When theaters finally reopen, it's going to be super slow business for a month or two. It's going to take some really big blockbuster to really attract people back to the theaters (something like Wonder Woman or Black Widow or both Mulan/Top Gun on the same weekend).

And even then, the first big movie that tries it might realize that they should have waited an extra month.

It's only a matter of time until Soul and Top Gun lose their dates as well. Quite frankly the whole first half of the year is a lost cause at this point.

18 minutes ago, kitik said:

When they reopen, I'd expect more of a $1-2 summer express type of month...old movies that you can come see for $1 in the morning and $2 in the evening with a reduced concession purchase (I think kids meals are usually the discount).

Trying to restart a movie habit and see where it is...and then I'd expect a blockbuster or two to open and get 60-75% of open screens...  

26 minutes ago, kitik said:

Top Gun’s audience isn’t going anywhere near a cinema. Move that thing to 2022.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/coronavirus-moviegoing-study-cinemas-reopen-on-demand-streaming-viewing-quarantine-1202897573/

EXCLUSIVE: A majority of moviegoers definitely plan to head back to movie theaters once COVID-19 quells, however, 56% will take their time.

Those are some of the conclusions unveiled Wednesday morning in analytics company EDO’s “Social Distancing Moviegoing and TV Habits” report, which polled 6,800 respondents nationwide last week (March 24-28), largely moviegoers, on their at-home viewing habits during this quarantine time, as well as their readiness to return to the cinema.

In promising news for exhibitors and studios, more than 70% of those polled indicated they were likely to return to theaters once they reopened, with a substantial 45% saying they were “highly likely.”

Moviegoers likely to return to movie theaters post COVID-19
EDO

At the time same, a combined 45% said they would come back very soon, broken down as 20% returning immediately and 25% a few days later. However, 45% said they would wait a few weeks to head back to the cinema once they reopen, with 11% of respondents saying they’d wait several months.

Moviegoing Coronavirus study
EDO

Overall, since movie theaters closed, about 75% of those in the study said they were likely to purchase movies on-demand.

On demand movie viewing coronavirus
EDO

Those polled by EDO skewed female, with roughly half under the age of 35. The group largely at 95% saw at least two movies over the last six months. Nearly the entire group said they were at least somewhat concerned about the COVID-19 pandemic.

• Like 2

There were over a thousand deaths just today. I think we can pretty much count on theaters being closed for the rest of 2020. With fatality numbers like that on a daily basis they aren't going to open up places where crowds will congregate for a long long time.

2 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

There were over a thousand deaths just today. I think we can pretty much count on theaters being closed for the rest of 2020. With fatality numbers like that on a daily basis they aren't going to open up places where crowds will congregate for a long long time.

US will peak sometimes this month and the numbers should get to a more manageable levels in 6-8 weeks after that. I think some theaters will start opening in July but summer blockbuster season is likely done for.

• Like 1

The summer box office is gone. Soul, Top Gun, Tenet, and Jungle Cruise are really all that's left before Wonder Woman's currently optimistic August release, and will all lose their dates by the end of the month in all likelihood. 

On 4/2/2019 at 5:31 PM, Cap said:

unknown.png?width=705&height=345

They have a Queue.  God speed to those gettings tickets.  

On this day last year, Avengers: Endgame pre-sales in North America opened and it dusted all previous pre-sales record in a snap. With over $40mn pre-sales in 24 Hours, the record is here to stand for years to come.

Tracking thread started tracking the storm from the above post. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

On this day last year, Avengers: Endgame pre-sales in North America opened and it dusted all previous pre-sales record in a snap. With over $40mn pre-sales in 24 Hours, the record is here to stand for years to come.

Tracking thread started tracking the storm from the above post. 

I miss those days. Every other presale run since felt small.

19 minutes ago, Menor said:

I miss those days. Every other presale run since felt small.

Every presale run since has been small. I don’t know if we’ll get a big one in the next 15 months even. 

Edited by Arendelle Legion

2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Every presale run since has been small. I don’t know if we’ll get a big one in the next 15 months even. 

Although of course not as big as Endgame, I remember Frozen 2, Spiderman (I think releasing on a weekday deflated pre-sales tho), Joker, and The Lion King having big presales.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TLK said:

US will peak sometimes this month and the numbers should get to a more manageable levels in 6-8 weeks after that. I think some theaters will start opening in July but summer blockbuster season is likely done for.

I see you are unaware that the CDC is predicting a second wave of the virus in the fall.....

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

The summer box office is gone. Soul, Top Gun, Tenet, and Jungle Cruise are really all that's left before Wonder Woman's currently optimistic August release, and will all lose their dates by the end of the month in all likelihood. 

2020 box office may be gone, period. with all the warnings to expect a second wave of the virus in Autumn....