23 minutes ago, Eric the Unhinged said:

The New Mutants Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-7 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Unavailable Total Seats? % Unavailable
TOTALS 0 14 120 866 7.99%

Total Shows Added Today: 3

Total Seats Added Today: 90

Total Seats Sold Today: 76

It's amazing how % Unavailable is being mantained at 7.99%

Ohh wait, number of seat sold are about 85% of seat added.

Damnit Eric.

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It's amazing how % Unavailable is being mantained at 7.99%

Ohh wait, number of seat sold are about 85% of seat added.

Damnit Eric.

nah it's a typo. ill fix it in the morning

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 9:19 AM, DAJK said:

New Mutants still at 2 tickets total for next Thursday.

Tenet is up to 39 tickets for Wednesday, and 29 for Thursday. I'd say having this sort of jump in less than 24 hours is encouraging; shows that it wasn't just upfront Nolan demand. I legitimately think this could break out somewhat bigger than what people might expect.

Gonna do an update every ~24 hours.

Up to 55 on Wednesday, 33 on Thursday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/20/2020 at 11:35 AM, Inceptionzq said:

Unhinged Friday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 177 650 27.2%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 224 434 51.6%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
540  N/A 2461 21.94% 4 46

I'm not exactly sure what seating capacity limits the theaters are under for Denver, so this is just an estimate. I'm just going based on AMC's 40% capacity and Regal's 50% capacity. I haven't seen any specific guidelines that would require less.

Unhinged Friday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 252 650 38.7%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 292 366 79.8%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
771 231 2393 32.22% 4 44

Showings removed: 2

Seats removed: 68

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/20/2020 at 11:51 AM, Inceptionzq said:

New Mutants Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 61 225 27.1%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 50 148 33.8%

168  N/A 998 18.84% 5 17

New Mutants Thursday Night Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 84 339 24.78%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 78 301 25.91%

229 61 1265 18.10% 5 19

Showings added: 2

Seats added: 267

Had a typo yesterday, so I updated yesterday's numbers to reflect that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So basically everything for the next 3 months will be a bomb, with Tenet maybe being slightly less of a bomb

Given the number of theaters open, and caps on seating in the theaters that are open, I think recalibrating what is or isn't a "bomb" might be in order.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Given the number of theaters open, and caps on seating in the theaters that are open, I think recalibrating what is or isn't a "bomb" might be in order.

Can someone like, pin this post in front of the whole forums. I think everyone needs to see this before coming into numbers threads.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Well, on the one hand, yes. Certainly the pandemic is a huge factor in terms of what sort of financial performance can be reasonably expected, and it would not do to forget that.   

On the other hand, being released in these times doesn’t magically reduce the budget. Movies that don’t make enough money to cover their costs because of being released in this period still are bombs in a financial sense, no? Even if it’s something of a deliberate, expected, unrelated-to-the-movie’s-strength-in-a-vacuum style bomb.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 3

15 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Well, on the one hand, yes. Certainly the pandemic is a huge factor in terms of what sort of financial performance can be reasonably expected, and it would not do to forget that.   

On the other hand, being released in these times doesn’t magically reduce the budget. Movies that don’t make enough money to cover their costs because of being released in this period still are bombs in a financial sense, no? Even if it’s something of a deliberate, expected, unrelated-to-the-movie’s-strength-in-a-vacuum style bomb.

Yes but the term "bomb" at least the way it's used on here, doesn't have the same definition as money-loser. Movies can make money on the ancillary market, especially right now, and I think "bomb" comes with a stigma, rather than just "money loser".

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

All the movies coming out next month will have a totally different "run" domestically than any movies from before - they'll almost run like limiteds with expansions once CA/NY and some of the other closed states come online...

So, determining anything finacial opening weekend might be next to impossible for awhile, until we have some baseline runs to compare...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yes but the term "bomb" at least the way it's used on here, doesn't have the same definition as money-loser. Movies can make money on the ancillary market, especially right now, and I think "bomb" comes with a stigma, rather than just "money loser".

Yes, agreed. Overall there is a lot of conflation imo between:

money loser

performing below expectations

outright all-around bad run in some subjective sense   

which while positively correlated with each other are not quite the same thing. And that pre-existing fuzziness will be exacerbated in the short term future where you might have a movie that, e.g. has a good run and beats expectations but doesn’t turn a profit. I try not to use “bomb” unless it meets all 3 criteria in my opinion, but sometimes people use it for movies that meet exactly 1 or 2 it can cause a lot of confusion and needless arguing.

• Like 2

Seats Sold Tenet - Event Cinemas Albany, New Zealand - 5 Days Until Release 

Thursday 27/08 - 19 tickets sold 

Friday 28/08 - 8 tickets sold 

Saturday 29/08 - 15 ticket sold 

Sunday 30/08 - 2 tickets sold 

Opening Weekend - 44 tickets sold (no change)

More detailed breakdown in the NZ international thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

So basically everything for the next 3 months will be a bomb, with Tenet maybe being slightly less of a bomb

See below

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

This. 

“Hit” and “bomb” will need to be redefined and “disappointment” doesn’t even exist for now. 

Of course finances still exist. But so does increased PVOD and decreased marketing costs. Plus, we need to consider the market and drastically reduced showtimes. 

• Thanks 1

In regards to Tenet, very quick check at few AMC shows for 31st shows it has sold few tickets with lots of blocked seats. I need to update my scripts for new state but hope to have some data for Tenet before this weekend is over. 

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

I am not even sure how to recalibrate. This is unprecedented, hopefully Tenet gives some perspective and we can use that to evaluate other big movies(if they release at all). One big question is would movies sustain better with small numbers. Like in good old days until 80s with movie like ET opened to 11million and grossed 300m+(not that I expect any movie to even hit 100m let alone 300m). But something like 11m/80m kind of leggy run could be interesting. 

• Like 5

On 8/20/2020 at 11:45 PM, Eric the Unhinged said:

The New Mutants Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-7 and Counting

TOTALS 0 14 120 866 7.99%

Total Shows Added Today: 3

Total Seats Added Today: 90

Total Seats Sold Today: 76

The New Mutants Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-6 and Counting

TOTALS 0 14 153 866 17.67%

Total Seats Sold Today: 33

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Probably the big thing to look at for Tenet right now is rather or not it does well enough for studios to decide to keep their movies in theaters or just move them over to streaming. If Tenet does pretty poorly and Mulan does as well as Disney is hoping then Black Widow will probably be placed on Disney plus as well.

• Disbelief 1