grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

36 minutes ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Guess that will encourage watching it on Max? I don't know!

Depending on how good/bad WoM is, could see a decent amount of spill over into the next few days,

1 minute ago, Menor said:

I think what he was saying is that, in the past, the theaters without reserved seating have contributed a nonnegligible amount to the BO. 

Ok. I looked all shows(including those without reserved seating) and found 84 more sellouts and 108 more open shows. That is not big enough to make a material impact to overall BO. I will add sellouts from these theatres from tomorrow's update. Need a separate tracker run. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

so what is the 322 figure you posted.:kitschjob:

I mean yeah you are tracking 595 theaters but the current 67k number is from the 322 only right?

Many of those theatres are open only 3 days every week(Friday to Sunday) now. Examples are this and this. Some of them in smaller markets dont have reserved seating. I have grabbed the seat counts from them. From BO perspective I am tracking more than critical mass. 

In my last update for Saturday BO I was tracking shows from 410 theatres. Rest either are not playing the movie or the theatres dont have reserved seating. These are small market theatres with tiny impact to overall BO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2021 at 10:30 PM, Porthos said:

Godzilla Vs. Kong Greater Sacramento Area Opening Day Seat Report: T-4 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

53.64%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

====

T-4 Comp (lol [well, probably] - use at own risk)

%

Sold T-4

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

KotM (Thr Prev)

0/98

12441/13740

9.45%

14.30m

====

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinema West ($130)

Adjusted Seats Approximation

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25] and 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25] 

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism in this post.

===

NOTE: The raw ticket sale count (i.e. not including any PWPs) for GvK has now passed the final sampled total for KotM's Thr Previews (2878 taken at 4pm local time).

Godzilla Vs. Kong Greater Sacramento Area Opening Day Seat Report: T-3 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

55.71%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Showings Added Today

Total Seats Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

====

T-3 Comp (lol [well, probably] - use at own risk)

%

Sold T-3

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

KotM (Thr Prev)

0/101

12310/13740

10.41%

14.49m

====

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinemark ($149)

Private Watch Party Showings - Cinema West ($130)

Adjusted Seats Approximation

NOTE: PWP adj = 16 seats for Cinemark [$149/$9.25] and 14 seats for Cinema West [$130/$9.25] 

See further explanation for why I am approximating PWPs and why they should be viewed with at least some skepticism in this post.

==========

It occurred to me that two of the theaters (well, one and two-thirds as I had PLF data for one of the theaters) I tracked for KotM are now reserved seating theaters, where they weren't for KotM. That means while I was able to track sellouts for those showings, I wasn't able to get the seat level data.

While it's already a mess without Regal (plus a couple of others), it might be worth to do a comp box without the seat level data for those two theaters. 

If I wanted to that, I'd get:

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

65.99%

T-3 Comp (lol [well, probably] - use at own risk)

%

Sold T-3

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

KotM adj (Thr Prev)

0/101

12310/13740

10.41%

13.46m

So about 1m difference in comps (and 234 seats sold).

Prob will include that going forward, coz why not?  Not like I gots much else to comp with. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So....what did I miss? Not much I hope? (Looks at thread) I've got catching up to do apparently! 

Ive got to get myself sorted out, been awhile. I need to find out how active the Toronto screens are. 

As far as Covid, they keep putting us in various coded lockdowns, however it seems even in "Grey" (heaviest lockdown) I believe they are allowing theatres at 25 percent capacity. It will take a bit of sorting but now that I have a puter (Yay!) and not posting from phone things should be easier.

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

Welcome back! Been a while since I've seen you on here.

Thank you. It's been.....awhile lol. Its good to be back. Having an actual computer makes typing, editing and wow I can (attempt) to do spreadsheets now! I missed you guys and girls.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

So....what did I miss? Not much I hope? (Looks at thread) I've got catching up to do apparently! 

Ive got to get myself sorted out, been awhile. I need to find out how active the Toronto screens are. 

As far as Covid, they keep putting us in various coded lockdowns, however it seems even in "Grey" (heaviest lockdown) I believe they are allowing theatres at 25 percent capacity. It will take a bit of sorting but now that I have a puter (Yay!) and not posting from phone things should be easier.

Toronto cinema back online?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Toronto cinema back online?

Thats what I have to find out. In Dec-Jan we had total lockdowns through the province, Then cities started coming back into various colored zones, where Toronto has been in "Grey" with at that point "no non essential services (theatres  included), but now they're opening up non essential at 25 percent capacity. I'm going to have to scour the cineplex sites and see what is and isn't online. 

Im hoping that theres at least something to give for this weekend (Godzilla vs Kong opens wed I in North America I think?). Have to see if Toronto gets a piece of that.

• Like 3

So looking so far a whole lot of "Closed" for Toronto Theatres. London Ontario theatres are open (they are in the "Orange" zone, allowing theatres) but I guess unless those "non essential" in grey don't include Toronto right now. I'll have to keep an eye out to see when this changes. If nothing else I should be able to do a London Ontario for for Kong/Zilla. It won't be a huge amount, but it would be a start

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Right so Godzilla vs Kong at London Silvercity for Wed March 31. There are 3 shows. The problem is im guessing its based on seating and distance for covid. But what I've got is:

Imax

7:45 8 seats occupied, 1 Available (a total of 9?) 

10:15 1 seat occupied 11 available (so 12?)

645 regular seating is "sold out" (I'm thinking 11 seats sold-maybe?)

Rows are halved so every other row is not even available for distance, and I'm guessing depending on sales determines which seats become "covid space" seats. 

Im really new to this covid figuring out. Have to dig further to see what percentage Cineplex is actually allowing.

Edit: If they are doing 25 percent capacity, that isn't 25 percent per screen, its probably based on 25 percent for the entire building, which would definitely explain why I am seeing seating that seems to "sell out" at 20 seats, or why each screen would be varying amount of seats sold based on groups of tickets being bought in a purchase. 

And this is London, Ontario, Toronto isn't even opening yet, so I wonder what little numbers I can offer what if anything they represent in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Right so Godzilla vs Kong at London Silvercity for Wed March 31. There are 3 shows. The problem is im guessing its based on seating and distance for covid. But what I've got is:

Imax

7:45 8 seats occupied, 1 Available (a total of 9?) 

10:15 1 seat occupied 11 available (so 12?)

645 regular seating is "sold out" (I'm thinking 11 seats sold-maybe?)

Rows are halved so every other row is not even available for distance, and I'm guessing depending on sales determines which seats become "covid space" seats. 

Im really new to this covid figuring out. Have to dig further to see what percentage Cineplex is actually allowing.

Edit: If they are doing 25 percent capacity, that isn't 25 percent per screen, its probably based on 25 percent for the entire building, which would definitely explain why I am seeing seating that seems to "sell out" at 20 seats, or why each screen would be varying amount of seats sold based on groups of tickets being bought in a purchase. 

And this is London, Ontario, Toronto isn't even opening yet, so I wonder what little numbers I can offer what if anything they represent in the grand scheme of things.

I just read London is going back to red zone tomorrow, will that shut down the theatres? 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Godzilla vs Kong Wednesday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 702 3026 23.20%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 414 2451 16.89%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
2488 356 17143 14.51% 9 100

$150 PWPs: 19(+1)

$200 PWPs: 4

$250 PWPs: 3

$300 PWPs: 13(+1)

Godzilla vs Kong Wednesday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 800 3173 25.21%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 500 2451 20.40%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST DAY TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS  SHOWINGS
2962 474 18042 16.42% 9 115

Showings added: 15

Seats added: 899

$150 PWPs: 20(+1)

$200 PWPs: 4

$250 PWPs: 3

$300 PWPs: 13

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I just read London is going back to red zone tomorrow, will that shut down the theatres? 

That is a good question. I will have to look into that. Mind you from what I am hearing we might be into another full all Ontario Lockdown in a couple of weeks. Ill have to keep an eye out.

Edit: Yep, Red Zone means movie theatres are closed. So I'm guessing the Kong/Zilla (and all other movies) gets refunds for Wed/Thurs shows.

To paraphrase the meme 

"Hey I got a computer to count seats for movies.....

andddddd the theatres are gone" 

Im wont disappear again though LOL. Ill just add comments onto other posts and contribute and hopefully the lockdown isnt for TOO long....

ha.....ahhah....

Edited by Tinalera
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Godzilla vs Kong(T-3)

MTC1 -  70155/463281 957262.00 2554 shows(322 Theatres) +8547   // 192 shows have not sold any tickets and 392 sellouts

MTC2 -   66980/470720 747075.44 3137 shows(293 Theatres) +7706 //337 shows have not sold any tickets and 272  sellouts

PWP MTC has 842 sellouts(+43) and MTC2 has 1542 sellouts(+91). 

Good increase over past 24 hours. 30%+ increase at both MTC and more shows have sold out at this point. Challenge is limited potential for a big burst on the final day. I am sticking with my prediction earlier of 150K MTC1 and 130K MTC2. Also PWP is looking like 1 million OD which is quite good. Weekend sales are stronger for PWP. I am thinking 7-8m OD which is quite good considering its normal mid week outside summer. 

Godzilla vs Kong (T-2)

MTC1 - 82090/472097 1097985.00 2640 shows(322 theatres) +11935 //144 shows have not sold any tickets and 610  sellouts

MTC2 -  77527/484315 858203.16 3273 shows(293 theatres) +10547 // 290 shows have not sold any tickets and  328 sellouts

PWP MTC1 has 903(+61) sellouts while MTC2 has 1608(+66) sellouts.

Another solid increase of close to 40% from yesterday. I expected MTC1 to move faster than MTC2 but both of them are keeping pace and so final difference may be only 10K between the two. Average ticket price will keep going down as premium formats have sold out in many places as well. PWP is looking like 1 million OD. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Godzilla vs Kong (T-2)

MTC1 - 82090/472097 1097985.00 2640 shows(322 theatres) +11935 //144 shows have not sold any tickets and 610  sellouts

MTC2 -  77527/484315 858203.16 3273 shows(293 theatres) +10547 // 290 shows have not sold any tickets and  328 sellouts

PWP MTC1 has 903(+61) sellouts while MTC2 has 1608(+66) sellouts.

Another solid increase of close to 40% from yesterday. I expected MTC1 to move faster than MTC2 but both of them are keeping pace and so final difference may be only 10K between the two. Average ticket price will keep going down as premium formats have sold out in many places as well. PWP is looking like 1 million OD. 

Just out of curiosity, are there any percentage restrictions where you are (are theatres being allowed 100 percent admittance or is there a restricted amount?)

18 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Just out of curiosity, are there any percentage restrictions where you are (are theatres being allowed 100 percent admittance or is there a restricted amount?)

This is full USA data, most places have some restriction with the big markets at 25% or so.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

I think chains are themselves putting restrictions even in markets where there are no curbs. But for some big market like NYC its max 50 seats only. California is better but its max 100 seats or 25%. Florida the chains fill up 50%. Texas is also similar. In fact the most filled theatres are currently in Texas as there are no official curbs :-) Example are here and here 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Godzilla vs. Kong Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 Days and Counting (Wednesday)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 44 61 2615 3762 69.51%

Total Sellouts Added Today: 20

Total Seats Sold Today: 457

There's obviously still room for more shows, but this is a movie that's really hindered by those capacity limits. Guess that will encourage watching it on Max? I don't know!

Godzilla vs. Kong Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 Days and Counting (Wednesday)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 45 70 2908 4049 71.82%

Total Showings Added Today: 9

Total Seats Added Today: 287

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 293

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Godzilla vs Kong (Day 3 Friday BO)

MTC1 - 37434/605291 501815.00 3143 shows(418 theatres) // 800 shows with no tickets sold and 166 sellouts

MTC2 - 35611/606604 415885.18 4006 shows (292 theatres) // 1311 shows with no tickets sold and 109 sellouts

PWP MTC1 has 1137 sellouts and MTC2 has 2053 sellouts. 

As I mentioned yesterday more theatres are playing GVK from friday onwards at MTC1 and so tracked theatres shoot up big time. Obviously its highly skewed towards OD sales at this point but PWP numbers are good though it may not be just GVK. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2