Jump to content
grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Recommended Posts

There's always a lot of factors to consider when looking at presales. I certainly agree that ticket sales most likely received a quick burst as soon as they were available. A similar thing happened with Dunkirk. And, when making a count on Pulse, you have to consider the demographics as well. Family films will pop up half as often but end up selling twice as much. And, naturally, you have to consider the competition.

 

I expected IT to dominate as soon as tickets were available so everything so far is very expected to me. At the same time, none of us can deny that everything is still pointing towards breakout. Box office is as dead as expected and about to get deader, its lighting up presales and marketing has been on point. What I'm most curious about is how quickly will it show up on MT. And how long before it just takes the top spot of Pulse and stays there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking around Orlando, only large theaters (16+ screens) are getting Good Time and Ingrid Goes West, and even then not all are getting both (IE Disney Springs has Good Time but not Ingrid). I'll take a guess and say their TCs are between 600-700 theaters. Wind River is expanding to a couple midsize theaters too,

Edited by WrathOfHan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AMC giving a free digital download of Baby Driver if you watch it at their theaters this weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep Wang update:

- By end of day, IT will have sold double the presales that Dark Tower had on Tuesday of release week. So it will be way outpacing that comp

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

AMC giving a free digital download of Baby Driver if you watch it at their theaters this weekend

If I didn't buy physical media, that'd have been a fantastic deal.

 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Deep Wang update:

- By end of day, IT will have sold double the presales that Dark Tower had on Tuesday of release week. So it will be way outpacing that comp

:jeb!: 

 

It's definitely not going under 50M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious how presale heavy It will be. It's been said a thousand times before, but It's really not your average horror film :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Triple post, but eh: http://deadline.com/2017/08/mayweather-mcgregor-fight-global-ppv-record-weak-domestic-box-office-hitmans-bodyguard-birth-of-a-dragon-leap-1202154166/

 

Leap!'s TC is at 2,570

Dragon's is now at 1,600

All Saints' TC has been revised down to 700 theaters :rofl: 

Also, Nut Job is only losing a little over 900 theaters:

 

1 1 The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature Open Road Films 3,090 -913 -22.8% 3
6 32 Maudie Sony Classics 96 -28 -22.6% 20
7 22 Brigsby Bear Sony Classics 94 -314 -77.0% 5
Edited by WrathOfHan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulse:

 

#1 - The Hitman's Bodyguard

#2 - IT

#3 - Annabelle: Creation

#4 - Logan Lucky

#5 - Dunkirk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Triple post, but eh: http://deadline.com/2017/08/mayweather-mcgregor-fight-global-ppv-record-weak-domestic-box-office-hitmans-bodyguard-birth-of-a-dragon-leap-1202154166/

 

Leap!'s TC is at 2,570

Dragon's is now at 1,600

All Saints' TC has been revised down to 700 theaters :rofl: 

Also, Nut Job is only losing a little over 900 theaters:

 

1 1 The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature Open Road Films 3,090 -913 -22.8% 3
6 32 Maudie Sony Classics 96 -28 -22.6% 20
7 22 Brigsby Bear Sony Classics 94 -314 -77.0% 5

As expected. At worse, it will be 6th this weekend and it might somehow repeat at 5th again. No way that many theaters were gonna drop it as some people were talking about in the weekend thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nova said:

@grim22am I allowed to create an IT over $100M OW club? 

 

Yes? I don't see why not. Its not close to any existing IT club I think.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, grim22 said:

 

Yes? I don't see why not. Its not close to any existing IT club I think.

Just wanted to check and make sure I didn't miss anything that would resemble one 

Edited by Nova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious as to how American Assassin will fare with its R rating (and apparently it's a hard R too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulse

1. IT

2. HB

3. Arjun Reddy

4. AC

5. GT

 

Obviously it's the middle of the night and competition is weak but it's still neat to see a movie top Pulse so far away from release.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm curious as to how American Assassin will fare with its R rating (and apparently it's a hard R too).

The rating in itself should probably not be too much of a big deal

 

Similar movie with a pg-13 rating first weekend according to cinemascore

 

3 days to kill: 80% over 25

Jack reacher 1: 76% over 25

Jack Reacher 2: 82% over 25

Bourne: played so old that they used an over 35 metric (60%)

 

Considering that the 17 to 24 are more than 18% of the ticket sold annually... and would be most of that 15-20% those under 25 audience for movie like those and not affected by the R-rating either, that does not leave many at the door.

 

Seeing John Wick success I imagine the hard R is not a plan either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IT is #4 on MT with 5.5%.

 

 That will go up as I believe it has only been open for presales about 22 hours.  Additionally some theaters didn't have showings listed til later.  Many only have Thursday night showings lasted still in my area so it'll get more sales as Friday/Saturday/Sunday begin to show listings for all.

 

AMC has a small 1000pt promo for opening night so I bought 10 tickets through the Stubs app. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Separate topic - noticed T23D is actually 50-80% full at a few DC/Northern VA realD theaters for Thursday presales.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight at my theater:

 

5:00 Leap: 0/63

7:00 All Saints: 0/78

7:00 Dragon: 4/78

7:00 Leap: 0/67

7:00 Terminator: 0/69

9:20 Terminator: 0/78

9:30 Dragon: 0/78

9:40 All Saints: 0/78

10:00 Leap: 0/69

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tonight at my theater:

 

5:00 Leap: 0/63

7:00 All Saints: 0/78

7:00 Dragon: 4/78

7:00 Leap: 0/67

7:00 Terminator: 0/69

9:20 Terminator: 0/78

9:30 Dragon: 0/78

9:40 All Saints: 0/78

10:00 Leap: 0/69

Image result for big tumbleweed gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.